GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Motorsports - Water / Meth Install

Fernflex

Ready to race!
I had a major setback last night, I may of had a setting wrong in the JB and it caused the pump to activate and shoot water, some of it got into my open engine bay with all the wiring exposed.

I dried everything off and disconnected everything started the car and had a Christmas tree of lights.

Had to disconnect the JB1 and completely remove the kit (left the wire runs) to clear all the lights via VAGCOM.

The whole process of fixing everything took about 4 hours of troubleshooting but the car runs fine without the JB1 at the moment. I'm going to re-hook up just the JB1 later to see if I may have fried it with the water incident.

I'm talking with George about what may have happened, hopefully I can finish the install, but I'm a little freaked out.

Did you fix the problem?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Not exactly, I think the firmware didn't take on the JB and caused the massive array of lights.

I un-did all this work and got the car running again, I want to find a simpler way to run this system before tackling this again.

Where did you mount your pump and solenoid at? Maybe I need to re-think my strategy.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Any updates here? Considering running this as it is easy to remove in case of problems vs. a downpipe.

cuper steve

Ready to race!
I'll do a separate post, but I have mine all installed in the engine bay! super clean/hide and easy to remove!

Meth works wonders ... like running race gas all the time (testing over +6PSI across 2nd-5th gear no issues yet)

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I'll do a separate post, but I have mine all installed in the engine bay! super clean/hide and easy to remove!

Meth works wonders ... like running race gas all the time (testing over +6PSI across 2nd-5th gear no issues yet)

Did you tap into the windshield washer bottle?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Downpipe was 500x easier to install.

hahahaha doubt it. I looked at your install and you went all out in making it complicated. A water/meth system should almost be plug and play with the mounting of the items being the most difficult part. Everything in the engine bay for me is the way to go.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, it ended up being the firmware on the JB1 that caused the water pump to activate and scare the crap out of me.

I forgot to turn the ignition and the car turned off after its normal 10-15 minutes of idle and botched the firmware update. Then I turned the ignition on and the test water I had in the tank proceeded to shoot everywhere.

The bad firmware left my car running like garbage until I removed the JB1 and cleared the christmas tree of lights. I got frustrated and put everything back together then worked with George to get the older firmware re-loaded.

Sadly the meth kit has sat ever since, I still have the throttle pipe with the bung installed.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
hahahaha doubt it. I looked at your install and you went all out in making it complicated. A water/meth system should almost be plug and play with the mounting of the items being the most difficult part. Everything in the engine bay for me is the way to go.

The downpipe was so easy on this car, literally takes 2 hours tops with jack stands.

I really want to see the W/M setup with everything in the engine bay, without using the washer bottle I dont see how its possible.

cuper steve

Ready to race!
@gn4rwhals - I used the wiper bottle. It holds a lot more than I thought and its a two piece unit. There is no space or safe place to put the tank in the engine bay.

The only other idea I had was to switch to a tiny lightweight battery and then mount the tank next to it. But I don't like any fluids near the electronics/fuse_box, so that was a no-go for me.

I did about 10 full throttle 2nd-mid5th gear datalog runs ... and the wiper bottle only went down about 1/2 inch.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I can run the meth line to the tank underneath the plastics then to the trunk, I'm interested to see where you mounted the pump so I wont have to run electrical wires to the trunk for the pump.

I realize I dropped the ball on this install, but if there is a better way to do this then I may pick it up again in the spring or look at it later this week and get everything mocked up and functional.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I will try gather a few more install options from users that I know have it connected and see the various options. Based on the results I have seen in logs it works far better on the non ROW cars.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Well this to me is the best option as a mod if I could run this and then a JB1 with everything easily removable for warranty (in engine bay). Count me in for the spring if that's the case.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion