GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

broke open oil pan, now what

zack1978

Passed Driver's Ed
Since this was truly a car accident, why didn’t you simply submit an insurance claim and let them deal with it? Yes, I know a new oil pan was not much money to replace, but it will be expensive if you need a new engine.
Many years ago my grandmother was driving her brand new 1995 Dodge Stratus on the highway and a ladder fell off of a truck directly in front of her. She was in the middle lane and had no choice but to run the ladder over. The car seemed fine on the drive home and She parked the car for evening. The next morning she went out with her car. The car made it one block and the engine seized. The oil pan was plastic and the ladder poked a small hole in it allowing the oil to leak out overnight. She submitted a claim to her insurance company and they covered everything......all $6,000 worth.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Check updated post above yours.
Below is a link to the one I have

US $128.70 35% Off | RKAC car styling For VW golf 7 Plastic engine guard 2012-2015 For Golf mk7 Engine skid plate fender alloy steel engine guard
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bBodOOYg

How's the fitment of this cover?
Is this the same as the OEM skid tray, or more like the aerodynamic tray that Golfdave was talking about in his DIY?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is this the same as the OEM skid tray, or more like the aerodynamic tray that Golfdave was talking about in his DIY?

I think you will find those covers with the hatchs for access are thin plastic & just an aero cover...the VW made GRP (Kevlar reinforced) full engine bay cover is a proper skid tray & is quiet compared to an aftermarket aluminium skid tray when stones hit it...

I still haven't seen anything as well designed as the VW OEM skid tray....:cool:..& mines still good 4yrs on...

videoguy009

Ready to race!
I think you will find those covers with the hatchs for access are thin plastic & just an aero cover...the VW made GRP (Kevlar reinforced) full engine bay cover is a proper skid tray & is quiet compared to an aftermarket aluminium skid tray when stones hit it...

I still haven't seen anything as well designed as the VW OEM skid tray....:cool:..& mines still good 4yrs on...
Golfdave where can you buy one as I live in Canada and don't see any listed here.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I will give my info but this discussion has gone on a while.
I am not saying one is better than the other. The one I have is well made.
It is thick, 5mm or .2". Fitment is perfect. I have one on my GTI and on my Wife's Tucson. The Tucson had a fiber under engine cover that was torn when driving over an old tire. When I was throwing out the old cover it was so weak I was able to tear it into pieces with my hands.

On my install covered in my build thread I added 4 SS bolts along the front tabs to insure stronger bond should I hit a big object.

I have never seen the VW cover in person but based on the design I have a good idea what it looks like. I feel that the OE plastic is thinner than 5mm thick and that the rigid design comes from the honeycomb designed ribs on the back side. This makes it more solid feeling than my cover but not more puncture resistant. An example is Engineering students can make a balsa wood bridge that holds 200lbs but this does not mean I can walk on it without breaking it.

The China cover I posted can not hold up two Russian guys but it is more like a semi flexible shield that helps prevent punctures. My having some give it might also help the car slide over an object.

These are my thoughts. I suggest you buy the VW one as it is a safe beat and I would not want you to buy the type I have an not be happy. If you don't like the VW one then you can be mad at VW.

PS. I can also change oil without removing the cover, I can plug in JB4 or NPM lower cable without removing the cover. You might also be able to change DSG fluid with an access panel.

Link to my install for more info.
If questions, please ask.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622407&postcount=944

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie

You might be right.
Checking quickly earlier I did not see the second one. If you buy one, you could email the seller to verify. Some reply well unless it is night there. Also PMme as u have a suggestion for you. Something to do prior to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Why do people link to absolute junk???

Did you not see the pictures when you scroll down of them proving how strong the "plastic steel" is by bending it 180deg back on itself with their foot..??!!…

The last thing you want is a undertray that is that flexible…..even the OEM factory thin aero tray (VW call it sound insulation for diesel engines)..is stiffer..!!

Why ??...because a flexible tray will create undue vibrations & noise when the air passes over it....& more so the faster you go..thats why the OEM one has stiffening ribs...

If you want impact protection you need something SOLID....& that is MOUNTED SOLID....you also want something which will not amplify the sounds of stones hitting it either...so something made of strong plastic..or hang on maybe GRP with Kevlar in it??..I wonder if there is one made by VW for countries where they have rough roads???

If the OP wants to protect the oil pan properly just fit the item VW made for the car..the skid tray as I did in my how to guide....anything else is a waste of time IMHO...:cool:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
All I know is metal beats plastic. I guess in less you care about the noise of stones hitting it. :p

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Why do people link to absolute junk???

Did you not see the pictures when you scroll down of them proving how strong the "plastic steel" is by bending it 180deg back on itself with their foot..??!!…

The last thing you want is a undertray that is that flexible…..even the OEM factory thin aero tray (VW call it sound insulation for diesel engines)..is stiffer..!!

Why ??...because a flexible tray will create undue vibrations & noise when the air passes over it....& more so the faster you go..thats why the OEM one has stiffening ribs...

If you want impact protection you need something SOLID....& that is MOUNTED SOLID....you also want something which will not amplify the sounds of stones hitting it either...so something made of strong plastic..or hang on maybe GRP with Kevlar in it??..I wonder if there is one made by VW for countries where they have rough roads???

If the OP wants to protect the oil pan properly just fit the item VW made for the car..the skid tray as I did in my how to guide....anything else is a waste of time IMHO...:cool:

BS Dave.
It is not that flexible.
Once bolted in it does not flex much.
Kevlar reinforcement strands yes.
It ain't bullet proof.
We do not all have to follow the same line.
I love my POS.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
And besides not everyone has a 400.00 dollar bill including shipping to throw at a skid tray.As far as Ali Express,I just installed a set of dyna blinkers for my mirror signals I bought from them for 88.00 USD and they are very good quality.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
BS Dave.
It is not that flexible.
Once bolted in it does not flex much.
Kevlar reinforcement strands yes.
It ain't bullet proof.
We do not all have to follow the same line.
I love my POS.

The OP is trying to mitigate what happened to bust his oil pan in the first place.

The OEM skid tray is very thick Glass Reinforced Plastic with Kevlar/aramid reinforcing fibres in it & it bolts to the chassis rails at the front & the subframe at the rear.

Basically you can ground the car on this skid tray.....

You can't do that with any thin plastic "aero" tray, or any metal "skid tray" which does not have front chassis brackets as the tray will flex up & hit the oil pan.......& thus they are useless for impact protection which is strong enough to rip the plastic oil pan open...

Basic engineering FACTS...not opinions….

Last edited: