GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

broke open oil pan, now what

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
And besides not everyone has a 400.00 dollar bill including shipping to throw at a skid tray.As far as Ali Express,I just installed a set of dyna blinkers for my mirror signals I bought from them for 88.00 USD and they are very good quality.

$400 for my skid tray is a SKID TRAY.....top assuming a thin plastic AERO tray is a skid tray.....it does NOT offer the required/expected impact protection levels!

Last edited:

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
$400 for my skid tray is a SKID TRAY.....top assuming a thin plastic AERO tray is a skid tray.....it does NOT offer the required/expected impact protection levels!

Im picking up a skid tray in the next few months to complement my new steel oil pan. Thanks for your thread.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I bought a used A3 (?) undertray for $50-60 iirc. It fits w/o modification and extends all the way to the front of the subframe. Though not a steel oil pan, still makes me feel better, as at least it wont catch on anything. If the car comes down on anything hard enough to crack the pan through the tray, then it'd probably be my fault at that point.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I bought a used A3 (?) undertray for $50-60 iirc. It fits w/o modification and extends all the way to the front of the subframe. Though not a steel oil pan, still makes me feel better, as at least it wont catch on anything. If the car comes down on anything hard enough to crack the pan through the tray, then it'd probably be my fault at that point.

Do you know what year A3? I see a few on ebay for the under 100.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Do you know what year A3? I see a few on ebay for the under 100.

I assume the 8V A3 as it's a part of the MQB platform. I bought it from a forum member here but cant remember exactly..

Dis One

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I assume the 8V A3 as it's a part of the MQB platform. I bought it from a forum member here but cant remember exactly..

Dis One

That's the standard MQB AREO tray...or what VW calls "noise/sound insulation" as its mainly used on the diesel engine cars to deaden the engine noise

Jarbear

Ready to race!
That's the standard MQB AREO tray...or what VW calls "noise/sound insulation" as its mainly used on the diesel engine cars to deaden the engine noise

That explains the large amount of insulation stuck to one side.. learn something every day.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Does it still require additional mounting hardware like the threads linked in here?

I bought it with all the hardware used. It's all oem stuff but the 3 that connect to the subframe aren't the normal trim screws, they're bolts iirc. Pretty sure everything else can be used from the original half tray thing.

Edit: Link

Last edited:

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
My 2017 Passat has that plate I'm pretty sure. Its much larger and has those 3 beefy bolts at the back that go into the subframe. I don't recall if it had the insulation pad, but I had to take it off twice doing my first oil change after getting the wrong supplies. Was all setup for a plastic oil pan and plug... turned out to be the metal pan and bolt.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I bought it with all the hardware used. It's all oem stuff but the 3 that connect to the subframe aren't the normal trim screws, they're bolts iirc. Pretty sure everything else can be used from the original half tray thing.

Edit: Link

Sweet I'll look into ordering this up.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
All I know is metal beats plastic. I guess in less you care about the noise of stones hitting it. :p

A piece of metal is only as good as the points it's mounted to. If you're referring to the ECS tray, I'll take a rigid plastic mounted to rigid points over metal slid onto flimsy plastic. And their upgrade, based on GolfDave's thread actually, isn't designed to fit an R.

And besides not everyone has a 400.00 dollar bill including shipping to throw at a skid tray.As far as Ali Express,I just installed a set of dyna blinkers for my mirror signals I bought from them for 88.00 USD and they are very good quality.

I spent $77 for a brand new skid plate (the one golfdave put in his DIY), not including mounting hardware. So, probably around $100 total in parts. You had the money, you just chose to prioritize blinker aesthetics over protecting your oil pan. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but don't use the excuse of money as your reason for not getting a skid plate. If you can't wait for a good deal, and have to buy today, you can still find them for ~$200. Still much less than $400.

There's a few shortcomings on the MQB platform, the fact it has a cheap aero tray and a plastic oil pan is one of them. A lot of people complain about VW being cheap with the oil pan, but they themselves can't spend the $200 to get a metal oil pan and true skid plate.

videoguy009

Ready to race!
All that I am looking for is a little more protection than what's already there.The oil pan is quite wide open and that particular tray at least is more protection than the one on there now.Living in Canada we take a beating on shipping parts from the US.For instance the Aluminum Street shield from ECS is 100.00 for shipping.A turbo inlet from Burger Motorsports is 40.00 to ship.You can see what we are up against.So that second hand price can get steep in a hurry.It will be lower from a private seller but not by much.I'd hate to see the price of shipping from overseas.Just to add a point we have one tenth of the population the US has so we have limited suppliers if any for our GTI's.We have no choice to go stateside or overseas for our goodies.