GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breaking Bad - My meth journey

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Small nozzle would likely be the way to go. It will cool a little, but the octane boost doesn't do a lot for us. Maybe just spray water too?

When I was spraying I actually had leaner afrs at higher rpm.

Give it a try and do back to back dyno pulls. Added cooling effect should be seen there.

For me, I've been mixing meth, watching my controller, and keeping my tank(s) full for too long. I'd rather a fit it and forget it setup, hence the intercooler only setup i'm going with next.

Given more time to play with it and adjust nozzles and pump pressure, I could have probably squeezed more out of mine. I actually toyed with the idea of an external intercooler nozzle, before I gave it up. Might be more helpful actually.

I bet anyone with a little more ambition, time, and effort could make it work more advantageously.

I need more instant gratification these days.

Sounds reasonable. You'll get good results from the intercooler. You thinking front mount or stock location?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Eurodyne + JB1 Meth at +1 psi + datalogs =

EF_Heynen

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock intercooler is absolute crap on this car. Get the APR intercooler with the matching hoses. Installs easy (relatively) Fits great, cools air like a champ.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Even the Twintercooler was a great bolt on investment on this car, I don't even know what heatsoak is.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
That is impressive, although it is BT, and I'd hope a BT has an amazing power curve. Sounds like a banshee. Is the tune specific for methanol?

That curve is crazy. Haven't seen anything like this on the mk7.

(Pulled the screenshot of the dyno for everyone's viewing pleasure.)

Have you guys moved forward with the secondary injector kit for US (non-dual-injected) vehicles? I remember following a thread a while back and was mesmerized, but it seemed to just go cold (the thread).

richard@aquamist

Ready to race!
The same car is now producing 630ps (stock internals and 10.5s 1/4). A rebuild is on the way targeting 700ps.

We have moved forward on the DP a long way but until there is a demand, we will not be announcing it. There are a few non-DP systems out there. They all seemed to have the same bottle neck on all tunes. It appears VW have found a way to limit the power by default on stock engines.

Ford did the same years ago on the Cosworth Sierra by adding a restrictor in the exhaust manifold. It took a few years for people to discover this. I suspect the modern method is by software writing.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thank you for all the info.

Quick questions though...Let me know what you think.

If an aftermarket inter cooler will see gains, why wouldn't methanol injection see gains? If setup exclusively for cooling?

Maybe a small 150cc ish size nozzle that you could spray early. Run exclusively for cooling and not for any extra benefit from fueling, all extra power and detonation control comes from cooling.

The mk7 platform seems to have lots of headroom for fueling tunes. Especially with stock turbo. Im thinking that's why the Aquamist setup didn't take off. its a very nice setup,but too much$$ and complexity if you don't need it.

Use e30 for majority of detonation control. Use meth with a small nozzle and a relatively early spray for cooling.

In my 1.8, E30 and/or meth enables me to run quite high boost with the JB1. I see peak boost as high as 17-18.5psi peaking at 2300 rpm, tapering and holding above 15 psi all the way to almost 4700RPM. Without e30, or meth the car wont do it. Either or. But with meth I also see intake temps drop from 126f to 83f @86 ambient. That was my first try and not spraying till after 10 psi. That has to be worth some HP. If it isn't, then another inter cooler is also a bust. Unless the stock unit has very high pressure drop. Or if even spraying small meth upsets the ECU and power.

If I spray too much, the car appears to get confused adjusting AFR. I think with the MK7 spraying less and trying not to upset AFR too much or too fast is important. My observation so far. I have no other data. Though i remember reading the same thing on BMW forums. So it must be true!

I'll be doing a dyno run in a few weeks. What I want from meth is at least 10HP, more power holding past 4800rpm and the ability for the car to run fast and clean even if its 95 degrees out. I paid 289 for my system and the installation was much less involved than most intercooler setups. If I get nothing, I will move on too.

My butt dyno tells me I'm doing better than that. We'll see. Tuning is littered with hopes and dreams that crash hard.

What you saying in regard to the AFR is what occurs. If the jet is larger than a CM3 jet the car will start loosing power especially at the top of the rpm range. We have done copious amounts of meth testing and there is no car that has not gained power from it when used exclusively for cooling. Beside that you can do 10 runs in the row on the dyno and it will produce the same amount of power so this is beneficial for road use and heat soak.