GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braking Vibration -- I'm at a loss

Engineer90

Ready to race!
If you are trying to verify a bad wheel bearing, grab your coil spring when you spin the wheel. A worn bearing will transfer vibration to the coil spring.

I feel some bounce along with the vibration at times, made me think the spring was bad. I am 99% sure it's the bearing that went bad on me

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Can a CV joint get damaged even though the boot is fine?

Yes, they can get worn over time causing the joint to be loose and knock (but not make the clicking) this would cause vibration when driving, normally felt during acceleration. Usually only seen on higher mileage cars, like 150K though. That being said anything is possible and it could have been slightly defective from the get go.

Never heard of one damaged from impact that didn't affect other components as well.

Engineer90

Ready to race!

Yup, happened on my old Audi TT. What happened was that on sharp turns, I would hear and feel like some "clanking" like the thing was about to break off. The boot was fine, but the damn thing was so old so it went bad. Plus, I beat the f**k out of it when I was in college, the roads were like bombs hit the them...

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes, they can get worn over time causing the joint to be loose and knock (but not make the clicking) this would cause vibration when driving, normally felt during acceleration. Usually only seen on higher mileage cars, like 150K though. That being said anything is possible and it could have been slightly defective from the get go.

Never heard of one damaged from impact that didn't affect other components as well.
I hear no clicking or knocking besides the "mouse clicks" from my steering column which may just be the clock spring, but definitely not the driveline components.
I do feel a shudder when accelerating somewhat rapidly from 70 to 80. The shudder then decays and I'm left with the steering wheel/body vibrations.

cb1111

Yes but... not until you have lots of miles

Yep

Yup, happened on my old Audi TT. What happened was that on sharp turns, I would hear and feel like some "clanking" like the thing was about to break off. The boot was fine, but the damn thing was so old so it went bad. Plus, I beat the f**k out of it when I was in college, the roads were like bombs hit the them...
and, like everyone says, the CV joints can wear without visible boot damage, but normally only in very high mileage (or badly abused) cars.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes but... not until you have lots of miles

Yep

and, like everyone says, the CV joints can wear without visible boot damage, but normally only in very high mileage (or badly abused) cars.
Going to set aside that lunch money in case i need to replace the entire driveline.

cb1111

Well, believe it or not, after I pulled out the bent 034 dogbone insert last night, the braking vibration subsided considerably. Will see if the wheel bearing replacement will eliminate it completely.
Did I miss the post in this thread where you mentioned a dogbone?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Did I miss the post in this thread where you mentioned a dogbone?

No, there was no such post. I did post about removing that bent insert in the "What did you do to your mk7 today" topic, but that was completely unrelated to this thread. I got so absorbed in straightening out all the issues with my car (they are nothing super major, but still), that I started assuming everyone's in my head. :)

cb1111

No, there was no such post. I did post about removing that bent insert in the "What did you do to your mk7 today" topic, but that was completely unrelated to this thread. I got so absorbed in straightening out all the issues with my car (they are nothing super major, but still), that I started assuming everyone's in my head. :)
Maybe not...

:p