GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Braking Vibration -- I'm at a loss

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Could be possible.

I'm having the same symptoms as OP on my front passenger side. I suspect it's either the bearing or the strut got damaged after hitting the same corner twice on potholes after a snow storm.

Lowered, the OEM struts don't have the same travel as stock height. Since it has less shock absorption, the strut and bearings and wheels take a bigger hit.
Do you have shuddering on braking at a certain speed and body vibrations at speed?

Engineer90

Ready to race!
My vibration goes away once speed drops below about 45. Even if i slam on the brakes like a motherfucker.

Hmmm, still pretty similar. When are you getting your wheel bearing swapped out?

Another thing I noticed, today driving at 60 MPH, I hear like a rotating noise from the right passenger side. Ever hear a lifted Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires at highway speeds? Almost sounds like that coming from the right passenger corner. But a softer hum.

Last edited:

cb1111

Will a bad wheel bearing cause greater tire wear on the side of the faulty bearing? What about a faulty CV joint?
Of course.

If you are having uneven tire wear on one corner then it sounds like something is bent or worn causing an alignment issue.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hmmm, still pretty similar. When are you getting your wheel bearing swapped out?

Another thing I noticed, today driving at 60 MPH, I hear like a rotating noise from the right passenger side. Ever hear a lifted Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires at highway speeds? Almost sounds like that coming from the right passenger corner. But a softer hum.
The roads here are pretty noisy, and i easily mistake rotational sounds for road noise. I did hear some metal swoosh sounds in the parking lot today. May be what you are referring to.

I'm bringing the car to my mechanic Friday and going from there. I hope it's the bearings and not the CV joints -- the latter are noticeably more expensive. If it's the bearings, I'll replace them myself.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
The roads here are pretty noisy, and i easily mistake rotational sounds for road noise. I did hear some metal swoosh sounds in the parking lot today. May be what you are referring to.

I'm bringing the car to my mechanic Friday and going from there. I hope it's the bearings and not the CV joints -- the latter are noticeably more expensive. If it's the bearings, I'll replace them myself.

Nah this one isn't from the tires and road contact, I don't hear it in the back and I don't hear it on the front driver side, only front passenger. Tires are brand new as well.

In a way, I'm hoping your issue is the bearings and then I'll change mine as well depending on your experience. Sounds like we might be on the same boat.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Nah this one isn't from the tires and road contact, I don't hear it in the back and I don't hear it on the front driver side, only front passenger. Tires are brand new as well.

In a way, I'm hoping your issue is the bearings and then I'll change mine as well depending on your experience. Sounds like we might be on the same boat.
Quite possibly. Given what I've experienced, as well as the tests from yesterday and today, and what CB has been saying, it's 70% certain it's the bearings. I'll keep you updated as I'm sure many not so advanced drivers like myself will benefit from all this info.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
Quite possibly. Given what I've experienced, as well as the tests from yesterday and today, and what CB has been saying, it's 70% certain it's the bearings. I'll keep you updated as I'm sure many not so advanced drivers like myself will benefit from all this info.

I agree I’m gearing towards bearings deff being it. Doesn’t surprise me tbh, we changed my wife’s car’s front bearings and now we will be changing the back ones. Huge grinding noise on them. NJ streets feed on breaking cars down

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I agree I’m gearing towards bearings deff being it. Doesn’t surprise me tbh, we changed my wife’s car’s front bearings and now we will be changing the back ones. Huge grinding noise on them. NJ streets feed on breaking cars down

Yeah, those bearings take an insane beating. If you are ever in California, I highly recommend getting a return flight ticket the instant you get off the airplane and never exiting LAX. I've seen some bad roads in South Carolina, in the middle of nowhere. But the roads in SoCal, especially in the greater LA area and certain parts of San Bernardino county... man, it feels like tanks passed through these streets. Chances are, this is not the last time you see me bashing SoCal roads. I'm utterly pissed with them and the effect they have on the car.

On the bright side, with mixed city/highway driving from work today my fuel consumption came out to 33.1 mpg (going no faster than 65, taking it easy, the car's ill). So at least that is good.

cb1111

Yeah, those bearings take an insane beating. If you are ever in California, I highly recommend getting a return flight ticket the instant you get off the airplane and never exiting LAX. I've seen some bad roads in South Carolina, in the middle of nowhere. But the roads in SoCal, especially in the greater LA area and certain parts of San Bernardino county... man, it feels like tanks passed through these streets. Chances are, this is not the last time you see me bashing SoCal roads. I'm utterly pissed with them and the effect they have on the car.

On the bright side, with mixed city/highway driving from work today my fuel consumption came out to 33.1 mpg (going no faster than 65, taking it easy, the car's ill). So at least that is good.
Sad part is that it wasn't that long ago that California was known for glass smooth roads.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Sad part is that it wasn't that long ago that California was known for glass smooth roads.

The further north you go, the better the roads. I-5 going to SF is fine once you get out of LA county. Kern County, Inyo, and other more northern ones have fine roads. Some may be noisy because the asphalt is grainy, but you won't see potholes, cracks, washer board unevenness.
Now LA county is a different story. Those roads are straight up dangerous. I-5, I-405 and others require driving skill and a strong central nervous system. These roads show where taxpayers' money goes. All they do is keep raising gas taxes, promising to fix the roads, and people keep voting for those tax hikes. Oh well, I won't be in the Golden State forever.

cb1111

The further north you go, the better the roads. I-5 going to SF is fine once you get out of LA county. Kern County, Inyo, and other more northern ones have fine roads. Some may be noisy because the asphalt is grainy, but you won't see potholes, cracks, washer board unevenness.
Now LA county is a different story. Those roads are straight up dangerous. I-5, I-405 and others require driving skill and a strong central nervous system. These roads show where taxpayers' money goes. All they do is keep raising gas taxes, promising to fix the roads, and people keep voting for those tax hikes. Oh well, I won't be in the Golden State forever.
We lived in Huntington Beach when I was a kid in the mid/late 60's. I remember oil wells on many street corners, flat smooth roads, 15 cent hamburgers at McDonalds, cheap gas/price wars and green stamps. I rode my bike 10 minutes to elementary school.

My parents bought the house in 64 for $34k, sold it in 69 for $43k. I drove by in the mid 90's and it was for sale at $255k. I just looked it up on Zillow and the estimate is $895k. The house next door is for sale at $1.3m. California has changed. The only thing that got better is the air (unless there are fires and a Santa Anna wind).

OH - VW content - my dad had a 64 VW station wagon that we brought with us from Germany. I remember the local repair shop had a VW pickup (Pritschenwagen)

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
We lived in Huntington Beach when I was a kid in the mid/late 60's. I remember oil wells on many street corners, flat smooth roads, 15 cent hamburgers at McDonalds, cheap gas/price wars and green stamps. I rode my bike 10 minutes to elementary school.

My parents bought the house in 64 for $34k, sold it in 69 for $43k. I drove by in the mid 90's and it was for sale at $255k. I just looked it up on Zillow and the estimate is $895k. The house next door is for sale at $1.3m. California has changed. The only thing that got better is the air (unless there are fires and a Santa Anna wind).

OH - VW content - my dad had a 64 VW station wagon that we brought with us from Germany. I remember the local repair shop had a VW pickup (Pritschenwagen)

Yeah, CA is much different from what you describe. Almost uncomfortably different. I lived in GA for six years. Moving to CA was a cultural shock.
Bringing a car from across the pond sounds like a whole endeavor.