GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a gaytronic crossover this weekend

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
We're not really 'knocking' on it's features, it's the reliability we're commenting on. You got one for 5k? Did you have someone look it over, because you could be in a world of shit.

Edit: Emphasis on COULD

QFT. Just cause the car is cheap, don't mean you can afford to fix the problems.. which there will be with that engine.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think the main issue with these are the fancy air suspension....the new All Road(A4 based) doesn't have those....nor does it have the TT V6 obviously....

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Its air suspension, questionable reliability of the automatic since no one ever services them. So they tend to fail around 100-140k miles.
Then you have the 2.7TT which has more issues than anyone cares to list.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
man, those buttons on the steering wheel are so gay i dont even know what to say. shift buttons.. not paddles, buttons.. when you shift gears you can pretend that you are coyly, playfully poking a man in his bellybutton.

He can pretend he's driving a 458, doe.

And I won't knock on this Audi's reliability. It has some complex shit to be sure but my B5 passat (same basic car without the complex shit) was $5k at 80k miles and I drove that thing to 230k miles before I threw up my hands, said fuck it I can't drive it into the ground, gave it to my sister and bought my GTI.

The stigma for Audi/VW is pretty bad over in the US but I'd never knock on one unless I had personal experience to the contrary.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
They do require a LOT of maintenance but all of the issues have relatively simple fixes. The main things that can go wrong:

Leaking air springs. Upgraded aftermarket replacements with lifetime warranty = $1000 total for all 4 corners.

Torque converter leaking seal leading to failure. Upgraded aftermarket replacement = $1000.

The engine and turbos are perfect and will remain so with some care (and not trying to boost them to 20+ psi). Remove evil pre-cats from downpipes to keep heat away from block/turbos, replace old crappy hoses with new silicone replacements, remove crappy failure-prone aux water pump before it fails, add phenolic spacers to intake manifold to reduce intake temps, replace stupid viscous-coupled fan with electric one, replace obsolete ignition system with modern (and cheap) coils, etc. Total of all preventative engine maintenance maybe $1000.

So to keep the engine in better than new shape I'm at $6k. If the trans and suspension fail more like $8k to fix those for the lifetime of the car... worth it IMO.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Audi made the Allroad avail again because of the dedication and support the previous Allroad maintains in the US. Troy's model has a fanatical following faults or not. Be happy Audi actually has a good wagon avail in the US.
The roads are full here of very nice and cool Avants(wagon's) Some of the fastest vehicles on the Autobahn are Avants. Too bad the US is so wagon averse. Ive had some great fun here in them on the road. Id take a nice Avant/wagon over any SUV.
I dont miss the SUV culture in the US at all. Boxes are boring, block your view and most people have ZERO clue how to drive them or what the limits are with them. Its insane.

Enjoy the Audi and good luck with the Vette as well!

jnj2455

Ready to race!
I'm so jealous. But a bit less jealous cuz it's an automatic. And even less so cuz of the failing (failed?) air suspension.

But I get all tingly inside when I see these or the unicorn W8 6MT wagon on the roads.

Good luck, good luck.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Audi made the Allroad avail again because of the dedication and support the previous Allroad maintains in the US. Troy's model has a fanatical following faults or not. Be happy Audi actually has a good wagon avail in the US.
The roads are full here of very nice and cool Avants(wagon's) Some of the fastest vehicles on the Autobahn are Avants. Too bad the US is so wagon averse. Ive had some great fun here in them on the road. Id take a nice Avant/wagon over any SUV.
I dont miss the SUV culture in the US at all. Boxes are boring, block your view and most people have ZERO clue how to drive them or what the limits are with them. Its insane.

Enjoy the Audi and good luck with the Vette as well!

The new Allroad is simply a jacked up A4 wagon, you know that right?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
They do require a LOT of maintenance but all of the issues have relatively simple fixes. The main things that can go wrong:

Leaking air springs. Upgraded aftermarket replacements with lifetime warranty = $1000 total for all 4 corners.

Torque converter leaking seal leading to failure. Upgraded aftermarket replacement = $1000.

The engine and turbos are perfect and will remain so with some care (and not trying to boost them to 20+ psi). Remove evil pre-cats from downpipes to keep heat away from block/turbos, replace old crappy hoses with new silicone replacements, remove crappy failure-prone aux water pump before it fails, add phenolic spacers to intake manifold to reduce intake temps, replace stupid viscous-coupled fan with electric one, replace obsolete ignition system with modern (and cheap) coils, etc. Total of all preventative engine maintenance maybe $1000.

So to keep the engine in better than new shape I'm at $6k. If the trans and suspension fail more like $8k to fix those for the lifetime of the car... worth it IMO.

So all those fixes are 3k on top of a 5k purchase cost...

If would have gone this route instead, same car with everything fixed and a much more reliable engine.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4160276562.html

But really that's neither here nor there. I hope you enjoy the new ride. It is def a very unique car (i mean that in a good way). Twinturbo wagon with a factory adjustable suspension is pretty special.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
So all those fixes are 3k on top of a 5k purchase cost...

If would have gone this route instead, same car with everything fixed and a much more reliable engine.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4160276562.html

But really that's neither here nor there. I hope you enjoy the new ride. It is def a very unique car (i mean that in a good way). Twinturbo wagon with a factory adjustable suspension is pretty special.

Yeah a regular A6 Avant would be cheaper in the long run, but not by much. Those 3.0's are ticking time bombs to be avoided at all costs that WILL blow up and be $5k+ to repair. The older 30v 2.8 V6 is the way to go for reliability, just sloooooow. All of them have the same crappy ZF 5-speed with torque converter that fails too.

There's really no way around spending at least $5k on any A6 Avant in great condition regardless of engine choice, so I figured I'd get the one that is at least quick enough to get out of its own way. The 2.7T has been so well explored at this point that there are a huge amount of resources available - including FREE tunes, none of this $600 APR business. Most issues with the cars have been well documented years ago and are easy to prevent or solve today.

(And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about potential big turbo upgrades years down the line. Conservative upgrades are making 400+ awhp)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
But can that trans handle anything over stock? esp when it has been used for say 100k miles?!

That said I hear you on the aspect of having the kinks worked out. BTW was the timing belt/belts changed on that engine? They are due every 70k right?