GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bought a 2019 Golf R MK 7.5

mawn17

Car(s)
MK 7.5 2019 Golf R
Hey I just bought a 2019 MK7.5 Golf R 2.0 TSI DSG last night, I pick the car up early next week.

I am starting to have some second thoughts due to the car having 65K miles on the clock and I'm concerned this would be high miles for these engines and I may run into trouble.

The dealer informed me the car had a full VW service history and they recently changed the following themselves:
Brake discs / Pads
Waterpump / Timing chain
Spark Plugs
Full Service
DSG gear box serviced at 40K miles (asked for this to be done again before I receive the car)

Do reckon buying a golf R with these miles be an issue? Also Is there anything else I should look out for?

I took out an extended 2 year warranty also.

Thanks in advance!

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I would not be at all concerned with 65k miles, especially on a well maintained car.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Not an issue at all, check out this thread = https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-champ-anyone-over-100-000-or-200-000.374669/

Ask them to explain what they mean by the "timing chain" service that was done though, it may be the sales guys misunderstanding.... the water pump is a common failure with these, doesn't actually "fail" but it just begins to slowly leak.... pretty much the only actual issue of these engines...

There was an issue with the previous gen of these engines where the timing tensioner would fail prematurely and cause the chain to jump a tooth but that's not the case anymore.... The chain will still stretch as with any engine with timing chains, but it should not need replacing until well over 120-150k mi.... or more... you can keep track of the stretch with a plug in tool like OBD11.... so you will know when a replacement is needed....

It could have been a timing cover, sometimes those have been known to leak....?

I would also make sure the rear haldex service was done at 30k mi and again at 60k.... the fluid needs to be replaced and the filter screen cleaned.... there is no mention of that.

Them having changed the spark plugs already is pretty nice, the service center sounds competent, im sure they did the haldex

edit: oh and like @OLD MEN RULE noted, I would do a full drivetrain flush when you get a chance after you get it... you should flush the front transfer case (also called the "bevel box") and the rear differential (its a separate unit to the rear haldex)

The front differential sits inside the gearbox

Last edited:

mawn17

Car(s)
MK 7.5 2019 Golf R
Thanks for all the input folks you have reassured me.

I will check regarding the timing chain, perhaps it didn't need doing.

I will also check the haldex servicing it had one previous owner that has a full VW service record so surely that will have all the info as to what has been done and hasn't.

I checked with a few local VW garages and it doesn't seem to be too expensive to do the haldex servicing so if it needs doing I'll chance my arm with the dealer.

Seems the servicing on the VW golf R is a bit less expensive than I thought I was quoted £540 to service my 2017 Jag X 8 speed auto gearbox with a local independent garage as an example.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all the input folks you have reassured me.

I will check regarding the timing chain, perhaps it didn't need doing.

I will also check the haldex servicing it had one previous owner that has a full VW service record so surely that will have all the info as to what has been done and hasn't.

I checked with a few local VW garages and it doesn't seem to be too expensive to do the haldex servicing so if it needs doing I'll chance my arm with the dealer.

Seems the servicing on the VW golf R is a bit less expensive than I thought I was quoted £540 to service my 2017 Jag X 8 speed auto gearbox with a local independent garage as an example.

If I were you, I'd just do all of the fluids, including brakes.

Haldex isn't too bad, but the DSG service can be expensive.

sailor74

Hey I just bought a 2019 MK7.5 Golf R 2.0 TSI DSG last night, I pick the car up early next week.

I am starting to have some second thoughts due to the car having 65K miles on the clock and I'm concerned this would be high miles for these engines and I may run into trouble.

The dealer informed me the car had a full VW service history and they recently changed the following themselves:
Brake discs / Pads
Waterpump / Timing chain
Spark Plugs
Full Service
DSG gear box serviced at 40K miles (asked for this to be done again before I receive the car)

Do reckon buying a golf R with these miles be an issue? Also Is there anything else I should look out for?

Thanks in advance!
Water pump on the 2.0Tsi R is on the gearbox end of the engine, and is driven by a belt, and is easily done. The timing chain is a major job involving removing the gearbox... I would be very surprised if the dealer had done that as soon as 65000 miles. it does suffer from stretch (due to wear of the plastic guides and wear of the chains. That can be checked by vcds. water pump leak is common, excessive wear of the timing chain at that mileage not so. agree that 65k miles in 4 years is a lot, but probably lots of motorway journeys which is good. brakes and pads probably about right, Spark plugs usually not a problem anyway. Haldex and differentials normally not problematic. provided fully synthetic decent oil is used and changed (with filter) more frequently than the "extended" setting.
only uncertainty with these , eg change engine oil it annually,..If you have extended vw warranty covering all components, I would be comfortable because any major breakage, even engine wreck or excessive oil consumption (greater than 1 litre per 1000 miles, indicative of piston/ring problems) should be covered.
because, with the genuine vw VELT warranty, they should have to fix it, even replace major bits, (engine/gears etc, and even window winders, (a common golf problem)
No worries mate. Just be sure to check engine oil level after 1000 miles, it should use practically zero oil. good advice for any car.
I have a 2017GTI DSG, and its done 55000miles, zero problems, but have just changed discs and pads,To EBC/oem style discs and redstuif pads. the pads were down to the indicator, and about a mm disc wear on each side, so did myself discs and pads at same time. We using whatever oil vw use at dealer, which I think is Quantum 0W-40 and actually have never had to top it up between its annual service. again I have vw extended all component warranty, (organise myself via vw.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Biggest thing is the water pump which was done already. Sounds like a well sorted car. Even though mine is a GTI, I've been modding it since it was new and it has 114k on it now. You can provide the VIN to popular tuners like APR and Unitronic to see if it has a tune on it. Or, the dealer can check and see if the ECU has a flag on it, meaning it's been reflashed with a tune. Still that would not scare me away. I flashed mine with Unitronic Stage 2 at 1500 miles and drove it like that with never an issue until about 105k miles, where I upgraded to the IS38 turbo and switch tune to OS.

We need pictures !! :)

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Water pump on the 2.0Tsi R is on the gearbox end of the engine, and is driven by a belt, and is easily done. The timing chain is a major job involving removing the gearbox... I would be very surprised if the dealer had done that as soon as 65000 miles. it does suffer from stretch (due to wear of the plastic guides and wear of the chains. That can be checked by vcds. water pump leak is common, excessive wear of the timing chain at that mileage not so. agree that 65k miles in 4 years is a lot, but probably lots of motorway journeys which is good. brakes and pads probably about right, Spark plugs usually not a problem anyway. Haldex and differentials normally not problematic. provided fully synthetic decent oil is used and changed (with filter) more frequently than the "extended" setting.
only uncertainty with these , eg change engine oil it annually,..If you have extended vw warranty covering all components, I would be comfortable because any major breakage, even engine wreck or excessive oil consumption (greater than 1 litre per 1000 miles, indicative of piston/ring problems) should be covered.
because, with the genuine vw VELT warranty, they should have to fix it, even replace major bits, (engine/gears etc, and even window winders, (a common golf problem)
No worries mate. Just be sure to check engine oil level after 1000 miles, it should use practically zero oil. good advice for any car.
I have a 2017GTI DSG, and its done 55000miles, zero problems, but have just changed discs and pads,To EBC/oem style discs and redstuif pads. the pads were down to the indicator, and about a mm disc wear on each side, so did myself discs and pads at same time. We using whatever oil vw use at dealer, which I think is Quantum 0W-40 and actually have never had to top it up between its annual service. again I have vw extended all component warranty, (organise myself via vw.

VW switched from Castrol to Mobile 1 awhile back.

For MK7.5s, specifically, the filter is not changed on the DSG service. It's not included in the service manual, and the dealerships don't change them. You CAN change the filter, but you don't have to. The filters also cost north of a hundred bucks.

I've also seen some VR6s with almost 200k on them that show within chain tolerance in VCDS. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:

sailor74

A month ago I bought a 2007 audi TT mk2 quattro vr6 (3.2litre) as a project...it has 80k on it. drivetrain is practically same as mk5 vw R,
Although it runs well and the body is good, it needs lots to bring it back to good. Dsg service, haldex check, brake discs and pads, brake fluid flus, coolant flush,
new shocks and springs etc etc, I reckon to spend more on it than I paid for it. I had the timing checked and it's still ok. I had a quote to do the chains, guides tensioners and sprockets... getting on for £3000!, cos its a gearbox out job. Rust is also evident, except on the body shell. so, its taking priority over the GTI..
My son has a 2016 golf R, its done about 50k of mostly short journeys, but its fine, except he had a water pump leak. and the brakes needed discs and pads. its a manual, but goes well enough.
my preference for all my cars is castrol edge full synthetic, either 0W-30, or 5W 30. On my TT I switched from 5W-30 to 0W-30 because I wanted more oil flow at cold start up, which is recommended by some to help get oil to the chains quicker. I do mainly short journeys ant it takes a long while for engine to get to 90degrees coolant temp. Interestingly there does not seem to be as oil pressure sensor so when doing a live data scan there is no way of telling what it is. so one is reliant on the pressure switch to give a warning if pressure goes low..However, in my opinion, with respect to the timing chains, I think that oil flow from the jets is more important than pressure,,, therefore lower viscosity oil might be better. that's why I switched to 0W.
Dont thrash the engines before engine is at 90 degrees! and with DSG,, do NOT use any form of launch control, it's bad.

sailor74

One caution I heard about the DSG, is that if you allow the oil to degrade to the point it becomes acidic, which is caused by oxidation and degradation of sulphur compounds and any phosphate in it, then the electric circuit board of the mechatronics, which is immersed in oil, can start corroding and then the controls will crash. so,, follow the vw guidance on oil change. IT is possible, out of curiosity, to have the drained oil analysed which will show how close to disaster it is, but if you change the oil anyway the status quo of the mechatronics should remain. A bit technical but there it is..Also, topical in UK at moment.... submerging a car in seawater is not good, if any gets into the gearbox, then it's toast for the circuit board if you dont change the oil and filter immediately. I THINK.

sailor74

Brake discs / Pads
Waterpump / Timing chain
Spark Plugs
Full Service

Thanks in advance!
Just question the dealer... surely they did not change the timing chains.....and I think.they must have only changed the water pump belt... a true record should be had.

mawn17

Car(s)
MK 7.5 2019 Golf R
I'm expecting a call today and I have all my questions ready, I will provide an update .

Thanks all!