GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Mileage Champ- Anyone over 100,000 or 200,000

bucknutVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15GTISE-MT/08CivicSI
So My GTI 2015 SE MT,( bought new) has 160,000 miles on it and I dont know if I like the looks on the MK8. So im thinkin of just keeping this car for longer maybe but I wonder how long I can keep it. I might just buy a 7.5 but that sounds boring lol.
Anyone have really high miles and tell the good and bad. This is my first VW, so i dont really know how long my car will last. Thanks for the input.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
Only you can decide if you should keep it. What problems have you had with the car, does it run good, does it burn a lot of oil? If it is in good shape and reliable why not keep it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
A lightly used MK7.5 would be a great buy. 6 year warranty that the MK8 won't have plus the MK8 has all touchscreen controls that reviewers have not liked. And it's never that good of an idea to buy a first year model. So if you wait for the second year of the MK8 you will have about 240,000 miles based on your average per year now.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So My GTI 2015 SE MT,( bought new) has 160,000 miles on it and I dont know if I like the looks on the MK8. So im thinkin of just keeping this car for longer maybe but I wonder how long I can keep it. I might just buy a 7.5 but that sounds boring lol.
Anyone have really high miles and tell the good and bad. This is my first VW, so i dont really know how long my car will last. Thanks for the input.

I’d say keep it and drive the wheels off it. With the year and mileage it’s probably worth 6k max if you could even find a buyer and I guarantee you there’s nothing out there for 6k you’d have that much fun with.

I have no plans to ever sell my mk7 (Also 6mt and purchased new). It’s at 90k now and if when it blows up someday I’ll just fix it or throw a used engine in it and keep enjoying the car I’ve enjoyed longer than any other daily driver I’ve owned.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
What problems have you had with your 160k miles car so far? If it's not become a total money pit and is still running fine, I'm with Jake above, just drive the wheels off it and keep yourself car payment free.

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
There are cars that we love so much that we will spend any money needed to keep it functional. But the bad news can come when you have sunk that money into it, it is working well and somebody hits into it and bends some metal. Then the insurance company will total it and give you the money at it's value . I have had this happen to me. Not a good day.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I’d say keep it and drive the wheels off it. With the year and mileage it’s probably worth 6k max if you could even find a buyer and I guarantee you there’s nothing out there for 6k you’d have that much fun with.

I have no plans to ever sell my mk7 (Also 6mt and purchased new). It’s at 90k now and if when it blows up someday I’ll just fix it or throw a used engine in it and keep enjoying the car I’ve enjoyed longer than any other daily driver I’ve owned.

That sounds just like my plan.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There are cars that we love so much that we will spend any money needed to keep it functional. But the bad news can come when you have sunk that money into it, it is working well and somebody hits into it and bends some metal. Then the insurance company will total it and give you the money at it's value . I have had this happen to me. Not a good day.

Once you've paid off a car, it's a waste of money to keep comprehensive unless it's worth a significant amount of money. I doubt many GTI's are worth keeping comprehensive after 5 years.

Anyway, I plan on keeping my Rabbit Edition, but I'll buy another car to daily drive once I hit 100,000 miles on it. That might take a longer now, as it looks like my job is going to end up 90% remote, vice 50% remote before the pandemic, and it's 40 miles each way, so I've been putting 800 to 1200 miles a month on the car, with local driving too, which adds up quick.

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Once you've paid off a car, it's a waste of money to keep comprehensive unless it's worth a significant amount of money. I doubt many GTI's are worth keeping comprehensive after 5 years.

Anyway, I plan on keeping my Rabbit Edition, but I'll buy another car to daily drive once I hit 100,000 miles on it. That might take a longer now, as it looks like my job is going to end up 90% remote, vice 50% remote before the pandemic, and it's 40 miles each way, so I've been putting 800 to 1200 miles a month on the car, with local driving too, which adds up quick.

It's tough to compare my situation to a normal person's car because I drive so many miles. I'm at 88K now on an 18 SE and I'll just be keeping it, overmainting it and rebuilding what's necessary because of all the money that I have in it.