GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost Actuator Upgrade?

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello, I have a 2015 with an IS20 upgrade and the matching APR tune. A lot of fun of course. However I am about to replace my boost actuator for the 3rd time. Is there an upgrade to get away from the stock IS12/IS20 actuator? I have a spare in my shed, but really tired of having to mess with this thing. I've heard the IS38 actuator is a potential substitute, but not sure if it is an upgrade or not. Any experience is appreciated.

JT

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hello, I have a 2015 with an IS20 upgrade and the matching APR tune. A lot of fun of course. However I am about to replace my boost actuator for the 3rd time. Is there an upgrade to get away from the stock IS12/IS20 actuator? I have a spare in my shed, but really tired of having to mess with this thing. I've heard the IS38 actuator is a potential substitute, but not sure if it is an upgrade or not. Any experience is appreciated.

JT
That ain't no surprise. Well, for most of us it's not except for the folks from EQT. They'll tell you how great it is and that VAG really made a great wastegate. Unfortunately you are stuck with having to use that problematic part and the IS20 actuator is supposed to be better than the IS38 one.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately I'm not surprised. I'll just swap out the spare I have and go. Thanks!

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
Most recent was electrical, won't hold the right voltage setting, the one before that the internal spring just failed because it is something that looks like it belongs in a toy in a cereal box and the first one was on the original IS12 with a stage one tune. There is something wrong all right, our VAG engineering buddies designed it for perfect conditions and that is not real world durable. Just ordered a CTS replacement and hopefully CTS fixed the weak parts like the internal spring and the cheap plastic gears 😉

JT