Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Jetta GLI
Last edited:

Latinmk7

Car(s)
Mk7 R
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been answered before but could not see this answered in the 278 pages in this thread. I've bought the JB4 for my 2020 GTI DSG and being in Australia (RHD) our option for routing the OBD cable through the firewall is through the funnel style grommet in the photo attached. Knowledge is power so wanted to ask how much this grommet can take as in how much can I tug in order to get the cable through without messing it up.

I've heard of stories of people popping out the grommet and leaving a permanent hold in the firewall which the reason for this post. But this grommet which I've seen pop out looks more like a circular dent and not the same as in the picture.

I wanted to initially run the cable through the driver side spare clutch grommet but I asked George via email and said this is not recommended as it melts the cable so yeah sucks as that seemed an easier way.

Anyways look forward to read your responses.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I bought this cable off eBay. I think it goes on the right side of the connector between the plug and the fixed portion. Can I just tap into the red wire on this? All of the install instructions I have seen have you tapping into the red wire on the left side of the fixed piece. I wasnt sure if the fixed piece does anything or if the wires are the same on both sides even if different colors.

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 54

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I got my JB4 installed today. The plug D and the firewall were the only hard parts! I had a few malfunction lights but all went away after some starts and driving. My question is how can I tell if everything is working properly? I was able to connect, and see readouts on the gauges of the app. I was able to switch between maps (0 and 1 so far). It feels faster but wanna be sure its all hooked up and working. I did a log in Map0 and one in Map1 and I am pretty sure the boost looks right in Map1 so I think I am good to go:

datazap.me | bigcanoe | Map0 and Map1

Last edited:

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been answered before but could not see this answered in the 278 pages in this thread. I've bought the JB4 for my 2020 GTI DSG and being in Australia (RHD) our option for routing the OBD cable through the firewall is through the funnel style grommet in the photo attached. Knowledge is power so wanted to ask how much this grommet can take as in how much can I tug in order to get the cable through without messing it up.

I've heard of stories of people popping out the grommet and leaving a permanent hold in the firewall which the reason for this post. But this grommet which I've seen pop out looks more like a circular dent and not the same as in the picture.

I wanted to initially run the cable through the driver side spare clutch grommet but I asked George via email and said this is not recommended as it melts the cable so yeah sucks as that seemed an easier way.

Anyways look forward to read your responses.

I had a semi oval rubber grommet with no hole in it. Its behind some white foam that you have to fold up to see after removing the trim piece under the steering wheel.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Finally installed a JB4. Everything seems to be working properly. Liking the extra boost in power. Tried maps 1 and 2 since I use 93 octane. I tried doing some logs but I couldn't get them to save after I hit stop logging. Am I missing a step or something?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Guys guys.. nobody will look at your logs if you don't put them on datazap.

https://www.datazap.me

New people not putting up logs on datazap leads me to believe they also didn't read the previous posts in this thread. Go back and read old posts! I'm not being a dick, just trying to steer you guys right.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Guys guys.. nobody will look at your logs if you don't put them on datazap.

https://www.datazap.me

New people not putting up logs on datazap leads me to believe they also didn't read the previous posts in this thread. Go back and read old posts! I'm not being a dick, just trying to steer you guys right.
I havent read the whole thread yet (but will) and found this very helpful. Thank you! I will update my post.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I havent read the whole thread yet (but will) and found this very helpful. Thank you! I will update my post.
Learning to use datazap will surely help you in tuning. It's absolute crap to use on a phone, but it's pretty good on a computer. Once a datazap log goes up, many people will jump in and help you with your tune. :)

I would read the first 10 pages or so, then jump back to the end of the thread and read backwards.

BigCanoe

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I finally finished reading the whole thread, and I learned alot. But I have a few questions. I have 2017 GTI with DSG, no mods, 93 octane gas, central NC, fairly warm outside temps.

What should my FOL value be set to? The original post says 45 but I have been reading 55?
Also, what about Boost Safety? 25.0?
TMAP setting? 1?

I only plan to run Map 1 and Map 2 for now until I get some logs.

Finally, what are your favorite gauges to run in the JB4 app? Right now I have RPM, Boost, AFR, IAT, Gear, Map

Thanks all!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I finally finished reading the whole thread, and I learned alot. But I have a few questions. I have 2017 GTI with DSG, no mods, 93 octane gas, central NC, fairly warm outside temps.

What should my FOL value be set to? The original post says 45 but I have been reading 55?
Also, what about Boost Safety? 25.0?
TMAP setting? 1?

I only plan to run Map 1 and Map 2 for now until I get some logs.

Finally, what are your favorite gauges to run in the JB4 app? Right now I have RPM, Boost, AFR, IAT, Gear, Map

Thanks all!

You should run a Map 1 and leave the FOL at 45. After you run some logs and increase boost, you may want to increase the FOL. As long as you're not making large changes, you should be able to see when you're going to need to bump the FOL. Boost safety should be 2 over your commanded boost level. I think 23 to 25 is reasonable for a GTI. Don't touch the TMAP setting. It should be 1.

I run the following gauges:
BOOST, AFR, IGN1, IGN2, IGN3, IAT