GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB4 R specific thread

tsigeoff

Passed Driver's Ed
Limits boost so people don't run 25 all the way down and break shit.

awesome, I'll give it a try. Can you elaborate on the auto shift boost reduction? what is the values name in user adjustment? George told me to put the value at 60 and see how it feels. What exactly does 60 mean? Haven't done it yet and curious if that would get rid of the boost spike at gear change in my logs. I don't feel like bombarding george with all of these questions, so appreciate your time answering my questions.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
awesome, I'll give it a try. Can you elaborate on the auto shift boost reduction? what is the values name in user adjustment? George told me to put the value at 60 and see how it feels. What exactly does 60 mean? Haven't done it yet and curious if that would get rid of the boost spike at gear change in my logs. I don't feel like bombarding george with all of these questions, so appreciate your time answering my questions.

It basically does what you would assume, reduces boost request at shift. Say you set 4000 to be 25psi. When you run through a gear it will try to hit 25psi, as it should. Problem is on shifts sometimes it will boost to above 25psi if that is where the rpm lands after the shift. It might hit 28psi. Not good if you want the turbo to last. So, the boost shift reduction will look at 25 and reduce it to say 22/23 (depends on how high you put the reduction value....don't believe it is linear as in 60 is 60% of your boost request value...gotta play around with it).

IrishR

Hi,

I'm sticking to Map1 due to only having access to 95RON. Is there and disadvantages or advantages to leaving the AFR tap disconnected on this setup? Will the slightly leaner AFR affect power?

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
JB4, Leyo Turbo Inlet, 034 Intake, CTS DP, 91 octane w/10 ethanol (5200ft elev.)

Shift Redux 50
FOL 50 (was 45)

Boost settings on MAP6

1500 0
2000 2
2500 2.5
3000 3
3500 3.5
4000 4
4500 5
5000 6.5
5500 6.5
6000 6
6500 6
7000 6

It is possible that a bad batch of gas is in the car as this logs compared to last weeks logs on different gas, show a bit more timing pull but please tell me what you think.

https://datazap.me/u/inigo/log-1527174684?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-11-18

MadMen

Ready to race!

Quantim0

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
16 GTI and S3
Yep. S3 install is quite a bit more complicated than the Golf installs.

What are your ambient temps for this run?

Ambient was 85 according to the dashboard. Temps seem to sit 15-20 over ambient when cruising and then drop a little or don’t rise at all during full boost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MadMen

Ready to race!
Ambient was 85 according to the dashboard. Temps seem to sit 15-20 over ambient when cruising and then drop a little or don’t rise at all during full boost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd give map 3 a go, and see how it compares....

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Installed the jb4 last night on my 15 golf R. No issues after a 30 minute drive. This morning on the drive to the gym, no issues. 2 hours later I get in to drive home - partial throttle light acceleration at low speed (under 30 mph) was horrible. Jerky throttle, almost like boost is cutting in and out. Don't believe its dsg related as I switched to manual mode and it kept doing the jerky/bucking type behavior. Was doing this for 5-10 minutes. After that, it seemed back to normal but the whole thing makes me nervous.

Other thing i've noticed is the car wants to get to 6th gear at light throttle. At 40mph, I'm in 6th gar. I'm almost positive this never happened without the jb4 - as the engine would generally be spinning at 2000 rpm at least. Now it will be cruising at 1500 rpm.

I had jb1 on my 15 gti - and swear it messed with the dsg.

When I got my 16gti - I went straight to a eurodyne tune and never had any issues.

Now on the 15 golf R - I figured I'd try jb4 before a full tune, but this behavior is concerning. Any idea whats up?

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
Set FOL to 40.

THanks man - I'll try that. I still have the JB4 opened and it looks like it was set at 60. I can still be on map 1 and just adjust FOL, and then save, right?

Went for another drive - problem persists for the first 5-10 mins of a "cold start" but then goes away. I'll lower FOL and report back.

yukoncornelius

Ready to race!
THanks man - I'll try that. I still have the JB4 opened and it looks like it was set at 60. I can still be on map 1 and just adjust FOL, and then save, right?

Went for another drive - problem persists for the first 5-10 mins of a "cold start" but then goes away. I'll lower FOL and report back.

Well last night I thought it was better after doing FOL at 40. Today I drove it for the first time - bad. Gotta turn up the volume to hear the "studdering" engine but dang. Also not in the video when I first started the car the idle was lumpy.

https://youtu.be/dNIHeLlTMRM

edit: did a little bit of googling and checked the obdII connection to the jb4, seemed loose. Tightened up - no issues so far. True test will be cold start tomorrow. Still don't like how the dsg is running in a higher gear now while cruising (1500 instead of 2000 before jb4).

edit #2 - Morning, cold start update - no issues on the drive in to work. Fingers crossed, the obd2 connection was the culprit! Phew, what a relief.

edit #3 - Went out for quick drive at lunch - no issues, car is driving gooood. Wondering if I should stay in map 1 or go to map 2.

Last edited: