GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB4 R specific thread

LAbrewin

JB4 for GTI vs R

Is the GTI JB4 compatible with the unit for the golf R? Former GTI owner here that just purchased a Golf R. Just trying to figure out if I need to replace anything.

LAbrewin

Thanks for the help, Diggs. Follow up question: my dumbass lost the JB4 to OBDII cable in a recent move. Is there anywhere this is available for purchase?

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Recently installed a JB4 on my MK7.5 R currently set to map 1. Pretty happy overall, the only thing concerning is partial throttle occasionally feels a little surgey, but can't recreate it consistently.

I just want to make sure everything looks good, and the engine is happy with map 1. Car is completely stock engine-wise, and it was a pretty calm 73 degrees outside when I did the logs. There's 2 3rd gear and 1 4th gear pull on the datazap. Any feedback is much appreciated.

https://datazap.me/u/darkarrow/log-1535261410?log=2&data=1-4

IrishR

Recently installed a JB4 on my MK7.5 R currently set to map 1. Pretty happy overall, the only thing concerning is partial throttle occasionally feels a little surgey, but can't recreate it consistently.

I just want to make sure everything looks good, and the engine is happy with map 1. Car is completely stock engine-wise, and it was a pretty calm 73 degrees outside when I did the logs. There's 2 3rd gear and 1 4th gear pull on the datazap. Any feedback is much appreciated.

What fuel? Alot of timing adaptation!

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
What fuel? Alot of timing adaptation!

CA 91. I've had it on for a few hundred miles at least. Should the ECU have corrected for the changes the jb4 has introduced within that timeframe?

I noticed on the 4th gear pull, it goes ridiculously rich, as low as 9.1 afr. I feel this is too rich and could result in misfires/plug fouling down the line. Should I be worried?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Things look normal for the CA91 at those temps. If you have E85 at the pumps always good to add 2 gal to a full tank which will improve smoothness by quite a bit.
On the 4th gear run from low down it would be interesting to see what the stock AFR is since the JB4 follows ECU trend. In general though the car will enrich under sustained load especially when in a high load situation like that.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Things look normal for the CA91 at those temps. If you have E85 at the pumps always good to add 2 gal to a full tank which will improve smoothness by quite a bit.
On the 4th gear run from low down it would be interesting to see what the stock AFR is since the JB4 follows ECU trend. In general though the car will enrich under sustained load especially when in a high load situation like that.

Thanks for the feedback George. Good to hear things look normal for the low quality gas CA has.

Would adding a couple gallons of 101 unleaded do the same as the e85? I'll be taking it to the track in a few weeks and there's no e85 within 40 miles of it.