GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB4 R specific thread

29whitty

I'm looking at your car saying "this 91ACN gas sucks, yo."

https://datazap.me/u/auxlry/map-2-setting-pull?log=0&data=1-25-26-27

and "dis hot, yo!"

https://datazap.me/u/auxlry/map-2-setting-pull?log=0&data=1-6

"but i see IGN doesn't really ramp up like we'd want." yeah...it hardly moves, lol. poor quality gas and high IATs will do that.

How did I arrive at my values? Looking at lots of logs. As soon as I saw your location and stating map2 I said to myself "hope he's running some e85". *opens log* . NOPE

So, either add a few gallons of e85 or run those settings above. Set FOL to 40.

thanks for this quick reply man , i'm not the poster asking about the logs though just following along :p yes... our gas is terrible here in Canada though ... no question. Map 1 is bordering on too aggressive.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
thanks for this quick reply man , i'm not the poster asking about the logs though just following along :p yes... our gas is terrible here in Canada though ... no question. Map 1 is bordering on too aggressive.

Oh, whoops. lol

Yeah it is hit or miss up there. Some 91 looks great, like 93 down here, and 94 off the charts awesome. Then other times they say 94 and it looks like shit. Weird stuff.

29whitty

Oh, whoops. lol

Yeah it is hit or miss up there. Some 91 looks great, like 93 down here, and 94 off the charts awesome. Then other times they say 94 and it looks like shit. Weird stuff.

yeah totally. so looking at the first one saying "gas sucks" is this cuz ign never peaks up ? i expected gas would be more related to trims going lean vs. IGN and IGN like you said would be more about IATs being hot AF ? sorry just trying to get it straight :p i have an HPDE of my own this weekend and hope to get some good data. but also want to have a better clue than i clearly do now :p haha ;)

Auxlry

Haha thanks for your input Diggs, it is appreciated and respected.

In regards to the fuel, it is 91 proper octane when some Boostane additive. According to their calculator, it should be “93 octane” with the amount I added. This log was also taken after driving 50 miles home from work. Not sure if that matters.

Would I be better off staying at map 1? I have an AMS Intercooler I have yet to install as well. Was contemplating returning it tbh.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
yeah totally. so looking at the first one saying "gas sucks" is this cuz ign never peaks up ? i expected gas would be more related to trims going lean vs. IGN and IGN like you said would be more about IATs being hot AF ? sorry just trying to get it straight :p i have an HPDE of my own this weekend and hope to get some good data. but also want to have a better clue than i clearly do now :p haha ;)

trims is the ecu adjusting fueling. add more ethanol and you need more fuel as ethanol has lower stoich than gasoline.

poor quality fuel causes knock which registers on ign2-4. poor quality fuel + high heat makes it worse because you start to get hotspots in the cylinders and hotspots ignite fuel mix unevenly or too early. then pistons take beating. then rods like to fly out blocks. this is why map2 on 91ACN fuel is unhealthy long term and not much faster than a a lower boost setting with some timing. timing makes power too.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Haha thanks for your input Diggs, it is appreciated and respected.

In regards to the fuel, it is 91 proper octane when some Boostane additive. According to their calculator, it should be “93 octane” with the amount I added. This log was also taken after driving 50 miles home from work. Not sure if that matters.

Would I be better off staying at map 1? I have an AMS Intercooler I have yet to install as well. Was contemplating returning it tbh.

Doesn't look like it did anything at all but your IATs are pretty high. You can try map 1 but it might still be too aggressive. You could probably do map1 in winter with some boostane. Might not be able to now here in July.

Auxlry

You have fun with that. :D

Intercooler is installed. Cobb also announced 2019 mk7.5 support today. I already had the AP on hand and got the JB4 in the mean time because I wasnt sure on how long it would take Cobb. So I might be scrapping the JB4 altogether now.

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

29whitty

trims is the ecu adjusting fueling. add more ethanol and you need more fuel as ethanol has lower stoich than gasoline.

poor quality fuel causes knock which registers on ign2-4. poor quality fuel + high heat makes it worse because you start to get hotspots in the cylinders and hotspots ignite fuel mix unevenly or too early. then pistons take beating. then rods like to fly out blocks. this is why map2 on 91ACN fuel is unhealthy long term and not much faster than a a lower boost setting with some timing. timing makes power too.

so, sorry, just want to make sure i get this straight. IGN 1, is that related as it sounds to cylinder 1 ignition timing ? and 2-4 are for KR or timing pull ? I just looked at a graph on my cell from JB4 and i added in 2-4 and i see my IGN1 climb up to like 8 over the course of the pull but the 2-4 are all <2 at all times which seems odd to me, just trying to be clear. thanks again!

(i'd upload it but i'm at the office and what not)