GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Tune for my new 2016 GTI PP

Euro Tech

Ready to race!
how come none of these fabled runs of 115 on stock turbo are on drag times? the best I've seen was 112 mph from a gutted stage 2 car.

Tons of slips and videos out there. Dragtimes in old news, most people don't use it anymore. You can find some of my times with my Coronet on there from 2006, after that I stopped using it because of so many fake times being posted.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
the fact that my VW dealer offers APR and it would not affect my warranty

The dealer doesn't determine your warranty status. That's VW. Now the dealer can flash you back to stock, and you can cross your fingers that VW doesn't find anything pointing back to a tune...but that is about where the dealers involvement stops.

Now if you have signed documentation saying the dealership will cover any repairs due to a denied claim...that is a golden ticket!

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Now if you have signed documentation saying the dealership will cover any repairs due to a denied claim...that is a golden ticket!

Better hope you're one of the first few who need to use that golden ticket. If a dealer is giving those out, they're not going to be around long. lol

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
The dealer doesn't determine your warranty status. That's VW. Now the dealer can flash you back to stock, and you can cross your fingers that VW doesn't find anything pointing back to a tune...but that is about where the dealers involvement stops.

+1

I was just going to write the same thing. There is no way that the dealership can say that the APR tune will not void the warranty.

If you're running an APR tune and for some reason, your engine blew. The VW rep would come in and check to see if the car is tuned. If he finds a tune, you're SOL and there's nothing that dealership will do.

This thread has opened up a couple other options for me for tunes. I live VERY close to AWE, who is a GIAC dealership. I was going to just go with APR since they're the biggest fish in the tank, but I want the most out of my car. Being able to flash it myself would be nice too.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
+1

I was just going to write the same thing. There is no way that the dealership can say that the APR tune will not void the warranty.

If you're running an APR tune and for some reason, your engine blew. The VW rep would come in and check to see if the car is tuned. If he finds a tune, you're SOL and there's nothing that dealership will do.

This thread has opened up a couple other options for me for tunes. I live VERY close to AWE, who is a GIAC dealership. I was going to just go with APR since they're the biggest fish in the tank, but I want the most out of my car. Being able to flash it myself would be nice too.

all i am trying to say since the VW dealer ship offers APR tuning they will do what they can to protect me. I do understand that they are some exceptions but we all need to be smart about it.

If I got GIAC the only issue is that I would have to remove the tune if I ever have an issue, and also I would not be able to upgrade to stage II until warranty is out or just suck it up if something goes wrong.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Aye, the dealership will do what they can. We are just making sure anyone who reads the thread doesn't get too excited. A dealership installed flash doesn't provide any additional warranty protection if something major occurs. It is merely an agreement between them and you that they will work on your car when it is modified and do their best to work with you if something happens.

Always remember that the warranty is through Volkswagen.
The dealership is not Volkswagen.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
FWIW I just asked GIAC if they have 2016s unlocked yet and they don't

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
FWIW I just asked GIAC if they have 2016s unlocked yet and they don't

Thanks that is great to know. Will make my decision easier since GIAC does great work and my tune on my 335i N54 platform never had any tune related issues whereas I was hearing so many other issue when other were running other tunes. I also never saw anyone report a problem with the GIAC tune.

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
A guy by the name of Andres Bocanegra, who works for GIAC of colombia did the run. Full weight car, DSG, Off the shelf Stage 2 tune NOT a tune for the IS38 just the same file I am running. Intake, Exhaust and an IS38. This is his time slip. 197.46kph=122.69mph
Oh and Columbia is at 9000 ft. above sea level.
The trap speed is pretty good! Any opinion on why the 60 ft time was so high though? Bad tires, wheel hop, track prep...?

AR11

Ready to race!
Cobb is coming out with products for the Mk6 later this month and I would expect they will be bringing mk7 products to the market soon after. Cobb's platform is to sell the hardware ("accessport") and allow the end user to freely swap between their various off-the-shelf maps (st1, st2, valet, etc.).

I have had positive experiences with Cobb in my past subaru and I'm sure you will hear the same from many others. For the cost of an APR flash you have access to multiple tunes with no flashing costs/hassles and you have the accessporr hardware which is useful for reading engine codes and doing data logging/life data display.

I will absolutely be waiting to see what cobb puts out before I drop coin on a tune.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

Shit, I saw VW tell a TDI customer we couldn't help him with his EGR faults(2010) because he had a cheap-o intake on it. Ran the test plan(pre ODIS) and it even stated somewhere in the test plan to verify all components are intact and in factory configuration. Or something along those lines. He left, came back two days later with a stock intake, we were happy to help. It was just impossible to help him as the test plan failed, and without a test plan and diag log sent, I didn't get paid. So as a flat rate tech I couldn't cut slack at all, VW had to do that. Only saw them budge once with a stage 3 GTI customer, he jumped his car backwards(idiot) and took out his ECM. Being that he just bought the car a couple months prior, they covered 50% of the total cost. Unfortunately it was still 100% warranty pay!!!!!! When I drove the car after installing a new ECM it ran horrible and was not happy lol. Factory software with a straight pipe don't mix well haha.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I just got my GTI Sport last month. At 1200 miles right now. So far I haven't decided on a tune. I only have experience with Unitronic on my Mk6 TDI, I liked it. Good gains considering I had zero parts on the car. Fuel economy suffered some even when driving it nicely but still it was high 40s. I will either be a returning Unitronic customer, possibly ARR, and looking at Cobb. My friend has a 2013 GTI with an APR stage 2 and downpipe/intake and he loves it, hasn't had one single issue or DTC in the 2 years he has had it on his car. So that to me is priceless. Reliability is #1, gains are #2. But, I am not doing any tune until after my paint correction and Ceramic Pro however. Gonna drain the coffers lol. Any input is appreciated in regards to tunes. I was just one ECS and saw Cobb was available for my car, is that preorder only?