GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tune for golf r

emro_mk7

Car(s)
2016 vw golf r
Hi everyone I just joined this group and wondering what is best tune for my 2016 golf R. Friend recommended to go with Cobb since he has it and it’s very compact and easy to set up and use and can be removed anytime and plus u don’t have to deal with shops. Just trying to get one that will give best results overall. Thanks

Attachments

• A224360A-4CF2-4D45-8180-009010B4F6CC.jpeg
    A224360A-4CF2-4D45-8180-009010B4F6CC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 162

ck23

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R (DSG) - Lapiz
Welcome to the group!

Several good tunes for this platform out there, just depends on what you're looking for. As mentioned above, search and do some solid research, lots of information available.

Personally, I have had both EQT and APR tunes on my MK7/MK7.5 R's. They both produce a solid product, but I prefer the EQT (current tune on my MK7.5 R ECU + DSG). The EQT tune produces great power, has a smooth feeling through the rev range and customer support is top notch. In addition, the DSG tune is just spectacular in terms of maximizing the feeling of the ECU tune, a perfect pairing. Being coupled with the Cobb AP (also solid customer support from Cobb) also gives flexibility and a chance to recoup some of the money spent if/when you part ways with your car.

It seems that recently several folks have opted to not go with APR as they currently do not have a Stage 2 option, so if that is in your plans, it's something to taken into consideration. Again, lots of options and differences out there, so do your research.

Good luck!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the group!

Several good tunes for this platform out there, just depends on what you're looking for. As mentioned above, search and do some solid research, lots of information available.

Personally, I have had both EQT and APR tunes on my MK7/MK7.5 R's. They both produce a solid product, but I prefer the EQT (current tune on my MK7.5 R ECU + DSG). The EQT tune produces great power, has a smooth feeling through the rev range and customer support is top notch. In addition, the DSG tune is just spectacular in terms of maximizing the feeling of the ECU tune, a perfect pairing. Being coupled with the Cobb AP (also solid customer support from Cobb) also gives flexibility and a chance to recoup some of the money spent if/when you part ways with your car.

It seems that recently several folks have opted to not go with APR as they currently do not have a Stage 2 option, so if that is in your plans, it's something to taken into consideration. Again, lots of options and differences out there, so do your research.

Good luck!
Solid advice. I'm on the EQT bandwagon also.

emro_mk7

Car(s)
2016 vw golf r
Welcome to the group!

Good luck!
Thanks for reply

emro_mk7

Car(s)
2016 vw golf r
Like I said Cobb is what my friend has and he likes it allot and I just want to take my time and buy best by what people say. Thanks all for replying

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Like I said Cobb is what my friend has and he likes it allot and I just want to take my time and buy best by what people say. Thanks all for replying

That's the challenge with tunes, or anything really. People like different aspects, have different brand perceptions, like different logos, jump on different bandwagons. It's like anything else, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc...

I went with someone who's results seem highly regarded, and actually answered my questions (EQT). Not that COBB wouldn't do that, but they were never on my radar.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's the challenge with tunes, or anything really. People like different aspects, have different brand perceptions, like different logos, jump on different bandwagons. It's like anything else, Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc...

I went with someone who's results seem highly regarded, and actually answered my questions (EQT). Not that COBB wouldn't do that, but they were never on my radar.
You did have to have Cobb to get an EQT tune though.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
You did have to have Cobb to get an EQT tune though.

Not a COBB tune, thought we were talking about software not hardware.

If my car didn’t come with the access port when I bought it, I would have went with IE as I felt their service and tune were good with my MK6.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
You have to have the Cobb Access Port to be able to get an EQT tune.

No shit. Again pretty sure the OP is talking about the COBB tune, not the access port. The AP is just the delivery hardware with the fancy data display.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
I went with IE and I'm very happy (the best customer service I could ask for), but if I did it again I would likely have gone EQT.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I assume you are looking at Cobb OTS vs EQT OTS. I have zero experience with the Cobb OTS, but I am loving my EQT Stage 1 tune. Maybe you can find an outlier who prefers the Cobb OTS. That's OK. No need to argue over personal preferences.