GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tune for golf r

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I was trying to decide myself: #49 ECU tuning
I have a JB1, and I think I need to think about other options once I get my stuff broken in. The JB4 upgrade could very well work, but I feel like EQT is the way to go.

Its tough because advertised vs real life, looking at the chart, varies so drastically that it's hard to say.

If I was going for a cheaper option then EQT, I think I might consider Unitronic or Eurodyne - but the price difference as you review the chart, just isn't that great

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Diablo Predator. It was awesome in my Bullitt and...

Wrong forum. Cobb/EQT.

I went with HPA because I like supporting local businesses and they made/assembled all the major parts of my build sans the clutch in-house.

Last edited:

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
There is no right answer and everyone is going to recommend whatever tune they have for the most part.

Ive run just a jb4 (plus bolt ons) on two different Rs and have had 1/4 mile times and dyno numbers in the same ball park as any of the stage 2 flash tunes I’ve seen posted.

That said, avoid apr if you think you want to go beyond stage 1 as they’ve discontinued their stage 2 tunes, and less importantly the supporting hardware, in the us.

Last edited:

Paddler

I recommend you look at what you want to do with the car. Are you going to track the car? If so brakes need some attention. CAI? Intercooler? What other mods are you planning. Goals? Many have recommended EQT, great tune loaded via a Cobb AP. A real advantage here is the ability to log data and have the tune optimized for your setup. EQT tcu tune highly recommended as well. Stage 1 tune is biggest bang for the buck and suitable for street driving and an occasional canyon run.
I could go on but my point is think about what you want out of the car and research the path. His platform has much support and many good options. Another thought is dealer support. APR must be done through dealer. For me that is a 100 mile round trip. I have run several APR tunes and they are not bad. My EQT custom tune is much smoother all across the rpm band.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
Just got a 2017 R in December and decided to go the EQT/Cobb route. I have had APR tunes in the past and was happy with them but really wanted to break away from the middleman and have a powerful tuner/gauge display like with all domestic sports cars. Also it used to be with Mk. 6 VW vehicles you could have program switching, so you could have up to 4 different progams to switch between. With the Mk. 7 you could only have one program installed. Another reason i didnt go with APR. So far both the stage 1 ECU and DSG tunes are spot on. Looking forward to trying out their E30 tune this summer.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi everyone I just joined this group and wondering what is best tune for my 2016 golf R. Friend recommended to go with Cobb since he has it and it’s very compact and easy to set up and use and can be removed anytime and plus u don’t have to deal with shops. Just trying to get one that will give best results overall. Thanks

If you just bought your car you could already have a tune on it that's not activated. That would be what I checked first. If you car still has any factory driveline warranty left on it I would have the car checked out very carefully before thinking about tunes. You might need it, even if it's only for a few months.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
not yet. I don't have the bluetooth dongle for it yet, but I'm going to order one pretty soon.

it’s worth it. You can get 9/10ths of the way there or better w a jb4 on the R. GTIs don’t respond quite as well for whatever reason.

Wiredin

Ready to race!
it’s worth it. You can get 9/10ths of the way there or better w a jb4 on the R. GTIs don’t respond quite as well for whatever reason.
I'm excited to get even just the JB4 on my R. the car is already a ton more fun than my 19 GLI was. but if the JB4 turned that car from a hoo-hum wanna be sporty sedan into an actually sporty sedan than I can only imagine what my R will feel like!

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I'm excited to get even just the JB4 on my R. the car is already a ton more fun than my 19 GLI was. but if the JB4 turned that car from a hoo-hum wanna be sporty sedan into an actually sporty sedan than I can only imagine what my R will feel like!

My manual R trapped over 116 w the jb4 and bolt-ons and my DSG has trapped 115.