GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best LED LOW BEAMS to fit into Helix Projector Headlamp for MK7 GTI?

maxwellheinrich

Hello,

I am currently running a non-LP mk7 GTI. I Purchased the aftermarket Helix headlamps (to upgrade to a lighting package setup) which came with all halogen bulbs with an HID ready setup (I was unaware that some sites offered these helix headlamps with HID low beams installed within the housing)...but nevertheless. My options now are to buy HIDs to retroactively install with the new helix headlamps, or to buy LED h7 lowbeams to plug and play into the helix headlamps. I do not want to buy bulbs that aren't going to work with the Helix's considering I will have to take off my front bumber completely for this install--and that would be a lot of wasted time if I experience common problems with LEDs listed below. My mechanic has urged me to go the route of LED for the low beam projector housing (Cree) with cancelors built in, although he has not given me much direction as to what CREE means.

In essence, if I am not buying HID's for these HELIX aftermarket MK7 headlamps, I want to know what LED lowbeams have worked for any of you on this forum in the Helix Projector housing. I want to make sure that I am not getting any dash errors or flickering as I'm seeing this can be a problem with a lot of the brands I have researched. What is CREE and what is that telling me if I am buying a brand that has CREE listed in their description? In Summary, I BOUGHT THE HELIX AFTERMARKET LIGHTING PACKAGE HEADLIGHTS THAT ARE HID READY. I WANT TO PUT LED HEADLIGHTS IN THE PROJECTORS INSTEAD OF HIDS. WHAT ARE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Morimoto d2s hid in my opinion. You'll have to vcds the car to play nice with them. It's super easy. Only have to loosen the bumper and upper supports and take the grill out to finagle the lights out.

deautoled will chime in momentarily with their offerings.

RS_MacD

Go Kart Newbie
maxwellheinrich,

I'll be following this with somewhat of a keen interest too.
I've got some RFB Projector headlights on their way, with an HID kit alongside. However - I'm more invested in getting a good set of LEDs in there because the start up time of the HIDs would make the auto lights a bit defunct (and potentially cause issues with the HIDs too I suspect).

I've got two sets of LED lights on their way, and I'll be testing them first to see if they work without throwing me any bulb warning errors.
If they do, then I have another set of LEDs to use to see if they are any better (Hikari vs DDM Tuning) and then I'll use the HID kit if none of them seem to work.

It's a bit annoying having a projector low beam / reflector high beam to make the whole thing more complicated - but hey ho!

I'll give you an update with my findings early next week so to help you out too! :)

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
LED bulbs do not place nice in projector housings. you will have to go with the GTR lighting LED kit and even than Im not sure if the output would be the same as a 35w kit for ed reps or helix.

HID KIT:

i had the Morimoto hid 6500k kit that they sold with these. They are no different than another digital ballast kit i just bought from amazon. The bulbs they send you dont feel they are really 6500K, i swapped them out for another set of 6000K from ddmtuning and they look more of the correct temperature. the 6500K bulbs looked more like 5000K from morimoto.

I will say the Morimoto kit is quality, ballast died on me after 3 years. i swapped one i bought from amazon and its the same shit honestly.

ED REP projector thoughts:
The ED reps use a cheap Halogen Projector and do look ok with the HID kit but as of now im looking into doing a retrofit for a better output.

wheelja22

I also got a set of helix 7.5 lights and I didn't get led or hid kits for them, I wish I did from the start. I got a set of led bulbs and tried to install them only to find out they don't fit with the cover on the back of the headlights. anyone know what will actually fit? be bulbs are just to long, I don't want to have to take my bumper off another time for no reason

maxwellheinrich

I also got a set of helix 7.5 lights and I didn't get led or hid kits for them, I wish I did from the start. I got a set of led bulbs and tried to install them only to find out they don't fit with the cover on the back of the headlights. anyone know what will actually fit? be bulbs are just to long, I don't want to have to take my bumper off another time for no reason

just wanted to update this post--I ended up getting the attached HID kit from USP motorsports. my mechanic and I didn't want to take the risk of ordering LEDs that weren't going to fit, since most of their dimensions wouldn't have been friendly to the MK7 Helix replicas anyhow. i know this is late but hope it might help people trying to install these. also, if you get the OEM HIDs, they should fit inside of the headlamp housing and wouldn't have to be externally mounted.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 1.34.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-14 at 1.34.30 AM.png
    936.9 KB · Views: 407

wheelja22

I order the led kit that says its supposed to fit helix light and it didn't. I had to make it fit. should have just gone with the HIDs