GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best everyday tire on stock Austins and suspension?

mkygod

Ready to race!
I'm looking for a tire to replace my Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS which are the all-season tires that came on my GTI.

I'm looking for something that has the same or better ride quality on city streets while providing better dry traction and reasonable tread life. I live in SoCal where it rains 10 days a year.

Do you think a set Continental DW would fulfill these requirements or would I have to go with All-Season tires to get similar ride compliance to what I have now?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Pilot Super Sports if you want the best tire, plain and simple. You live in Cali, so dry/warm weather tires are all you should be using.

mkygod

Ready to race!
Pilot Super Sports if you want the best tire, plain and simple. You live in Cali, so dry/warm weather tires are all you should be using.

PSS are the best tires if you want straight out performance, but that's not what am asking for. I'm pretty sure my ride quality will suffer if i choose that option.

DanDuda48

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf GTI & GTD
And can you read the very first entry? :)
"I'm looking for a tire to replace my Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS which are the all-season tires that came on my GTI."

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
And can you read the very first entry? :)
"I'm looking for a tire to replace my Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS which are the all-season tires that came on my GTI."

Good catch. It's early here and it's our exam week. I think they will be comparable, if a little bit worse of a ride, but nothing too different than stock. I doubt it will be very noticeable expecially when you take in all the benefits of the PSS

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The RE97AS are horrible tires. Virtually anything is going to be better.

If you are concerned about the ride quality of the Pilot Super Sports, look into the continental DW's. They sacrifice handling and sidewall stiffness for a softer ride.

RadioFlyer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GSX-Rs
I'm looking for a tire to replace my Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS which are the all-season tires that came on my GTI.

I'm looking for something that has the same or better ride quality on city streets while providing better dry traction and reasonable tread life. I live in SoCal where it rains 10 days a year.

Do you think a set Continental DW would fulfill these requirements or would I have to go with All-Season tires to get similar ride compliance to what I have now?

I can't vouch for the Conti DWs.
Having just switched the Potenzas you listed to the Michelin Super Sports, I find that while providing superior traction, the Michelins are a little noisier and transmit more road irregularities to the cockpit.
The increased feel and grip has some trade off. :cool:
For daily driving, the Pilot Sport As 3 all season might be a better choice.
I'm not a Michelin fan boy.
I don't particularly care for their high performance motorcycle tires.
I use Dunlop tires on my track bikes.
Pardon my digression...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

There is an RE970 tire that is an all season higher performance tire.
I can not vouch for noise or ride quality.
A co-worker has them on a VW CC and he likes them.
Read up on it at Tire Rack.

mkygod

Ready to race!
I have looked at all the ratings at Tire Rack. The thing with Tire Rack is i'm not sure if they rate Summer tires on the same scale as All-Seasons when it comes to ride comfor. It could be an adjusted scale relative to other summer tires.

erikweber321

Ready to race!
I vote Pirelli. my all-season pirellis are AMAZING, I'd be hard pressed to believe it could get better without going to a summer tire, although I hear that the Michelin Alpins all-seasons are in fact the 100% best in class in all categories. I did too much research for this very question, and the answer was a resounding "go summers or michelin alpins"

mkygod

Ready to race!
I vote Pirelli. my all-season pirellis are AMAZING, I'd be hard pressed to believe it could get better without going to a summer tire, although I hear that the Michelin Alpins all-seasons are in fact the 100% best in class in all categories. I did too much research for this very question, and the answer was a resounding "go summers or michelin alpins"

Any particular model of Pirelli tires?

Michelin Alpins are rain/snow tires from what I can make out. I would feel pretty stupid buying winter tires for use in Southern California.