GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Car I’ve Ever Owned

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
My last car was a 550whp manual rwd, and the DSG Golf R is a better car (for me). Fast enough to keep up with just about anything, but the extra weight was a lot to look past, even though it handled really well. I hated the rev hang but ended up utilizing the auto rev-matching and not thinking about it much. I still resent it for being overly complicated. I do miss the HUD, and that’s about it.

1654183325135.jpeg

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
My last car was a 550whp manual rwd, and the DSG Golf R is a better car (for me). Fast enough to keep up with just about anything, but the extra weight was a lot to look past, even though it handled really well. I hated the rev hang but ended up utilizing the auto rev-matching and not thinking about it much. I still resent it for being overly complicated. I do miss the HUD, and that’s about it.
Yeah, I initially wanted the CT4-BW, but it's no quicker than the Mk8 R and the weight is a serious issue for me. The R's still a bit of a porker, which is one of the primary reasons I'm on the fence about just keeping my GTI and adding a Caterham, Ariel or Miata.

Oopsie, no go on the Ariel, they've gone f'ing nuts on pricing. At that point, I'd just get an Emira.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Yeah, I initially wanted the CT4-BW, but it's no quicker than the Mk8 R and the weight is a serious issue for me. The R's still a bit of a porker, which is one of the primary reasons I'm on the fence about just keeping my GTI and adding a Caterham, Ariel or Miata.

Oopsie, no go on the Ariel, they've gone f'ing nuts on pricing. At that point, I'd just get an Emira.
I see people talking about going from a golf to a ct4vbw and I‘m glad to know that it’s not really what I want, especially for the extra cost. Powerful rwd manual cars will always be fun to drive, but the golf is a step up in most ways. I still look at Miatas and Caymans all the time.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I dig the zf8 on it. Considering how much I absolutely hate rev hang. It just ain’t natural man

I get when people say they want a manual to feel connected to the car and shit but rev hang adds this infuriating element. I don’t want to interact with a manual with rev hang at all. I hate it.

imagine saying “I drove my friends old mustang gt, had a manual on the 4.6 v8 and it felt way better than a manual modern coyote bolted to a manual trans”

who could blame em.
I would....I've driven both and the Coyote is fine (owned a 2012 3.7 twin cam)

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
The R is definitely the best car I've ever owned, and I've told people for years that I couldn't think of anything I'd replace it with for under $100k. Well, that turned out to be prophetic, as the new car is on the boat right now: 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, manual, Guards Red. Keeping the R!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ve never driven one. I really do like the ttrs
A stock 911 is pretty dull. An S with proper options is nice. A GT3 is glorious. I really prefer the Boxster/Cayman though and would prefer a 4.0 GTS or Spyder to any 911. Air cooled 911s were special, since they became larger, I don't really covet them. The 991 was too big and the 992 has just kept up the trend. Given stupid money, a Singer is the answer.

Reactions: WAP

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I test drove a 2013 S4 and was set to buy it until I drove the Mk7 GTI. I knew immediately that was my next car. Can’t really explain why.

You must of fell in love with the hatchback rattles over taking an S4. I know I would.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I think best car I ever owned was a 2006 Toyota Matrix. That thing was crazy reliable and more spacious hatch than the GTI. I bought it at 68k miles and drove about 60 miles a day with it for as long as I owned it (about 3 years) and had zero issues.

You could also bring the front passenger seat forward for even more room. The rear hatch window could be opened if you needed to keep the hatch door closed but required that extra length.

Came with a 6 disc cd player, heated seats, regular outlets to plug in things aside from the usual cigarette outlet. The auto light feature was also the most made sense of all auto lights I've been in. I never had to touch the light switch in 3 years.

That was supposed to be my car to get me away from car modding, "fun" cars as I had just gotten married and moved out. Since it was my first "hatch", it got me into the idea of owning a "fun" hatch which eventually got me to the GTI and then I gave the wife the Matrix which she KO'd in about 3 months of ownership (bad accident).

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
A stock 911 is pretty dull. An S with proper options is nice. A GT3 is glorious. I really prefer the Boxster/Cayman though and would prefer a 4.0 GTS or Spyder to any 911. Air cooled 911s were special, since they became larger, I don't really covet them. The 991 was too big and the 992 has just kept up the trend. Given stupid money, a Singer is the answer.

I love the 718’s bro. In 2.5 trim. Doesn’t sound bad either. Really nice balance.