GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Car I’ve Ever Owned

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
My wife and I recently purchased an Audi Q5. The plan was to sell my 2017 GTI so we could have a larger, more adult car for trips, etc. She has an electric car to get to and from work. But I am having the hardest time listing my car for sale. In my opinion the Mk7 GTI is a much better car than anyone had the right to expect and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. Just having a hard time parting with it. And I’m 54 years old!

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
My father is 85 years old. He’s always been a car guy and owned Corvettes, hot rods, etc. , but he hasn’t driven anything new in a very long time. He had no idea how far cars had come. Two years ago I shoe horned him into the drivers seat of my lowered DSG GTI with a stage 1 tune. He really didn’t want to be there. I put it in sport mode and told him to drive it like he stole it. He was absolutely blown away by the experience. To be fair, he could have been driving probably any of a number of modern cars, but he couldn’t believe how great the car was. He said “ I had no idea that cars were like this”. It was extremely satisfying.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Hard to beat the performance value of the mk7. Bang for the buck, there’s very little competition. I very much enjoy my wife’s Allroad but it’s way different than my R. The Allroad is sophisticated and classy, but a little heavy and not meant for spirited driving, IMO. I imagine the Q5 might be a similar dynamic. It’s economically stupid for me to keep the Golf since I have a couple other vehicles, but I know myself well enough to know that I really enjoy owning a car that can stir my driving passion.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I plan on keeping mine until I can't fix it anymore. My '98 Camry was the same way, loved everything about that car but it just got too rusty to the point I couldn't even find the heads of bolts anymore so I had to get rid of it. At least the GTI doesn't ever see water or salt from the roads. I plan on building it over a long time and keeping it as my weekend warrior along with my E30 if I ever finish it

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
My father is 85 years old. He’s always been a car guy and owned Corvettes, hot rods, etc. , but he hasn’t driven anything new in a very long time. He had no idea how far cars had come. Two years ago I shoe horned him into the drivers seat of my lowered DSG GTI with a stage 1 tune. He really didn’t want to be there. I put it in sport mode and told him to drive it like he stole it. He was absolutely blown away by the experience. To be fair, he could have been driving probably any of a number of modern cars, but he couldn’t believe how great the car was. He said “ I had no idea that cars were like this”. It was extremely satisfying.
I have a similar story with my grandpa. I've always had a GTI and been more into VWs than anything else. On my dads side of the family all the guys are into cars, trucks, boats, bikes, and going fast. My grandpas been daily driving a manual corvette that he's had for probably nearly 10 years now. He was one of the first people in the area to get the new stingray. He never had any interest in my VW though. He never really said anything good about my cars, but he didn't really say anything bad either. I know I took him for a ride in my mk4, but I don't think he rode in my mk6. He couldn't have given a shit about either of those cars.

Years and years ago, probably something like 15 years ago, he literally tried to convert me. My grandpa's pretty rich and has some solid connections. One of them is this guy that essentially owns his own car museum. This guy had a huge warehouse, cars (mostly corvettes) filled almost every inch of this place. It was ranging from old stuff from the 60s to brand new stuff. All of it in mint condition. He had his own mechanics that he paid full time to work on all his cars. If I remember right there was at least 4-5 lifts set up. He also had people that could restore the old cars back to new life. They were sand blasting an old frame when I was there. It was a ton of cool stuff and it was pretty cool to see and get a personal tour of this place. It wasn't open to the public and this guy generally hated people, but my grandpa was pretty cool with him.

It didn't do a thing for me though. All these years later I still don't care too much for american cars with v8s in them and still gravitate towards euro/german. I still haven't bought anything except a VW since I was 19.

Skip to me getting my mk7.5 R. The first time he saw it he immediately commented on how good he thought it looked. I'm sure this was the first time I ever got a positive comment from him about one of my cars. I tried to get him in the car so I could take him for a quick drive, but it wasn't really the best time for it so I couldn't get him to come with me. Earlier this year he needed a ride from the airport to his home, so I knew I'd have an opportunity to show off. I finally had a chance to floor it after coming around a corner. I sat at 20 mph or so for a couple seconds just so I could give him a warning, and I said, I'm gonna step on it so hold on. I mashed the pedal down and I swear before his head even hit the headrest he was saying, holy shit!!! Then he goes, what the hell do you have in this thing?! I tell him, it's just a little 2 liter 4 cylinder. He couldn't believe it. He made some comments about it later on to my parents just being like, I had no idea his car was that fast. It took a while, but I think I finally got approval for my car choices.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
The only thing I don’t like about the car is the front wheel drive and associated wheel hop. I couldn’t justify the R at the time of purchase, but that must be a blast to just hook up and go with the 4-Motion of the R.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
The only thing I don’t like about the car is the front wheel drive and associated wheel hop. I couldn’t justify the R at the time of purchase, but that must be a blast to just hook up and go with the 4-Motion of the R.
I haven’t driven a GTI but the R does hook really well. From what I understand, an LSD might remedy that pretty well. Not sure about the wheel hop.

I have a similar story with my grandpa. I've always had a GTI and been more into VWs than anything else. On my dads side of the family all the guys are into cars, trucks, boats, bikes, and going fast. My grandpas been daily driving a manual corvette that he's had for probably nearly 10 years now. He was one of the first people in the area to get the new stingray. He never had any interest in my VW though. He never really said anything good about my cars, but he didn't really say anything bad either. I know I took him for a ride in my mk4, but I don't think he rode in my mk6. He couldn't have given a shit about either of those cars.

Years and years ago, probably something like 15 years ago, he literally tried to convert me. My grandpa's pretty rich and has some solid connections. One of them is this guy that essentially owns his own car museum. This guy had a huge warehouse, cars (mostly corvettes) filled almost every inch of this place. It was ranging from old stuff from the 60s to brand new stuff. All of it in mint condition. He had his own mechanics that he paid full time to work on all his cars. If I remember right there was at least 4-5 lifts set up. He also had people that could restore the old cars back to new life. They were sand blasting an old frame when I was there. It was a ton of cool stuff and it was pretty cool to see and get a personal tour of this place. It wasn't open to the public and this guy generally hated people, but my grandpa was pretty cool with him.

It didn't do a thing for me though. All these years later I still don't care too much for american cars with v8s in them and still gravitate towards euro/german. I still haven't bought anything except a VW since I was 19.

Skip to me getting my mk7.5 R. The first time he saw it he immediately commented on how good he thought it looked. I'm sure this was the first time I ever got a positive comment from him about one of my cars. I tried to get him in the car so I could take him for a quick drive, but it wasn't really the best time for it so I couldn't get him to come with me. Earlier this year he needed a ride from the airport to his home, so I knew I'd have an opportunity to show off. I finally had a chance to floor it after coming around a corner. I sat at 20 mph or so for a couple seconds just so I could give him a warning, and I said, I'm gonna step on it so hold on. I mashed the pedal down and I swear before his head even hit the headrest he was saying, holy shit!!! Then he goes, what the hell do you have in this thing?! I tell him, it's just a little 2 liter 4 cylinder. He couldn't believe it. He made some comments about it later on to my parents just being like, I had no idea his car was that fast. It took a while, but I think I finally got approval for my car choices.
This Stingray had nothing on me on mtn roads (@ 6-8k’). Pretty sure that it’s faster in a straight line but we could go to Bandimere for that kind of fun.

1653592796572.jpeg

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I love my GTI. But I’d fuck it and never marry it

I’m happy with it. It’s never disappointed, frankly if anything the bitch always surprises me.

something keeps me from truly seeing my car with the eyes y’all see your cars with. And I’ve got a proper GTI. Autobahn suspension differences are awesome, dsg, great tires too. I just can’t do it

maybe if it had a tvs blower. Maybe if it whined instead of pshhhh. I dunno

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I haven’t driven a GTI but the R does hook really well. From what I understand, an LSD might remedy that pretty well. Not sure about the wheel hop.

This Stingray had nothing on me on mtn roads (@ 6-8k’). Pretty sure that it’s faster in a straight line but we could go to Bandimere for that kind of fun.

View attachment 250428
Dope pic. Looks like franktown, going west towards castle rock?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
Dope pic. Looks like franktown, going west towards castle rock?
Bottom of Deer Creek! Seems to me that you’re nearby that area but can’t remember what lead me to that assumption. I did see a modded white mk7 gti on Turkey Creek a couple weeks ago and wonder if that was you? I can’t remember if it had DV plates though. Come drive, Brah!

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
C’Mon Man, you know this is the bottom of Deer Creek! Seems to me that you’re nearby that area but can’t remember what lead me to that assumption. I did see a modded white mk7 gti on Turkey Creek a couple weeks ago and wonder if that was you? I can’t remember if it had DV plates though. Come drive, Brah!
Nah definitely not me. 😂

honestly. Tomorrow will be the first time in a long ass time my car will leave Aurora.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
I've been saying the same thing since I bought my GTI back in Feb. Coming from an Audi S4 that I owned for 5 years and only ran for 2, I can say this was the best upgrade let alone car I've ever owned.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual

View attachment 250428
I believe I do have the LSD. (2017 SE)