GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Car I’ve Ever Owned

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
MK7 GTIs are great but you millenials have ruined them all by modifying them.

LEAVE IT STOCK.
2071B5A4-6BF4-40CA-B26D-93799892CC24.jpeg

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I've been saying the same thing since I bought my GTI back in Feb. Coming from an Audi S4 that I owned for 5 years and only ran for 2, I can say this was the best upgrade let alone car I've ever owned.
I test drove a 2013 S4 and was set to buy it until I drove the Mk7 GTI. I knew immediately that was my next car. Can’t really explain why.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
MK7 GTIs are great but you millenials have ruined them all by modifying them.

LEAVE IT STOCK.View attachment 250433
GenXer here. One of my favorite aspects of the mk7 platform is the aftermarket parts availability and ability to make it better. The only mod that really bothers me is cat delete; I hate driving behind or hearing a non-catted car, depending on the engine. The ea888 sounds like crap imo, and open exhaust just turns up the volume.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I test drove a 2013 S4 and was set to buy it until I drove the Mk7 GTI. I knew immediately that was my next car. Can’t really explain why.
Wife had a tuned B8 S4 and I never really liked it, aside from the alcantara seats. Pulled hard but felt numb. I never really enjoyed driving it. I think the s4 got too big/ heavy but it seems that Audi fixed this with the 2022 s3. Seems like a play from the BMW playbook.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I was shopping for a Golf R and had yet to locate one. I had the chance to drive an S3 and was very underwhelmed. I was a little apprehensive about even continuing the search for an R. I’m glad I followed through it is a much different experience IMHO.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I love my mk7 Gti, but the mk6r I had felt like a middleschool crush. I literally cried when I got rid of it.

vu.

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'17 Golf GTI (Sold)
I was shopping for a Golf R and had yet to locate one. I had the chance to drive an S3 and was very underwhelmed. I was a little apprehensive about even continuing the search for an R. I’m glad I followed through it is a much different experience IMHO.

Debating into getting an R myself or a Mk8 GTI later down the road. Realistically I wanna get my dream car and that's the 8V RS3 but they are still too high on price right now.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Debating into getting an R myself or a Mk8 GTI later down the road. Realistically I wanna get my dream car and that's the 8V RS3 but they are still too high on price right now.
The RS3s are so nice, but I could never afford to fix it if I need to. I love the AWD and brakes on the R. No regerts on the purchase.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I had a '17 GTI with JB4 running a mild+3 psi, and an IE TCU tune. but even at +3, the car really comes alive, and I loved the way the IS20 spooled up so quickly. I used OBD11 to set the XDS to weak, and it helped with the wheel hop, but traction was still a problem. I had the S trim, without the LSD, so that probably didn't help the situation. but I still loved the car, and had some plans to do some more mods, starting with a mechanical LSD. I had always thought about the R, but never really followed up on my thoughts to upgrade to one.

Then last fall/winter, we were getting some rain, an the fwd became pretty frustrating at times, so I started seriously looking for an R. found a super low mileage '16 R, and pulled the trigger. I was a bit sad to see the GTI go, but I'm really happy with the R. The power comes on hard, but a little later than the GTI. I miss the IS20 quick spool a little bit, but not enough to switch back, the AWD traction is amazing. I've got the APR TCU tune, but still running on stock boost. I am thinking about doing some sort of tune or maybe a BB turbo upgrade, mostly for quicker spool, not necessarily big power.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My wife and I recently purchased an Audi Q5. The plan was to sell my 2017 GTI so we could have a larger, more adult car for trips, etc. She has an electric car to get to and from work. But I am having the hardest time listing my car for sale. In my opinion the Mk7 GTI is a much better car than anyone had the right to expect and it’s the best car I’ve ever owned. Just having a hard time parting with it. And I’m 54 years old!
I love my car.
Still give check it out as I approach it, and leave it every day - and I've had it new since 2015 - the longest I've ever had any car by far.
It did cost me one very expensive repair at $4,000 about two years ago, but I've forgiven it.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I love my GTI. But I’d fuck it and never marry it

I’m happy with it. It’s never disappointed, frankly if anything the bitch always surprises me.

something keeps me from truly seeing my car with the eyes y’all see your cars with. And I’ve got a proper GTI. Autobahn suspension differences are awesome, dsg, great tires too. I just can’t do it

maybe if it had a tvs blower. Maybe if it whined instead of pshhhh. I dunno
So @Keehs360, you have a great car and it gives you joy, but it’s missing a supercharger. Would it prefect if it had one? What’s your perfect car and why?