GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Arm Downpipe

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
I was wondering if anyone on here has an ARM downpipe. I’m trying to decide between that & CTS (the two cheapest DP’s with CATS). I haven’t been able to dig anything up on ARM’s for MK7.

I prefer the Cat location (before the o2 sensor) for the ARM over CTS’s but it might hinder flow being so close to the turbo. Plus the ARM is about $100 cheaper.

Thanks

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Running the ARM DP on my GSW. Still got a CEL for the 02, currently running a straight spacer with middle insert with no issue since. Fit and finish was good. Though you can smell it when cold.

Dakaos

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI S
I have the ARM as well and running a J style O2 spacer to prevent any CEL. I love it. The high flow catalyst is not very restrictive but I notice if I give it the beans I can still smell a bit of exhaust fumes. (I am tuned mentioning this) I also like the V banded exhaust adaptors you get. If you upgrade to a 3 inch cat back you can run a straight sleeve clamp in-between the pipes. At the end of the day it's a metal pipe with bends but I know there's good and bad designs out there.

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Running the ARM DP on my GSW. Still got a CEL for the 02, currently running a straight spacer with middle insert with no issue since. Fit and finish was good. Though you can smell it when cold.
Good to hear that no CEL. GSW's have the same size exhaust as a 1.8T right? Did the DP bolt straight up to the exhaust or did you have to make a new piece?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Good to hear that no CEL. GSW's have the same size exhaust as a 1.8T right? Did the DP bolt straight up to the exhaust or did you have to make a new piece?
GSW is 60mm exhaust. The ARM DP comes with a 3" pipe and a 3" to 65mm reducer. The 65mm reducer only works if you have a GTI (Stock exhaust tube size). I want to say the Golf is also 60mm like the GSW. I rigged it with an local parts store reducer (2.5" to 2 1/4" OD) and some clamps for now with their 65mm reducer. This allows the reducer to slide into the catback pipe for now. I'll be taking the 3" pipe and having it cut and APR's 76mm to 60mm reducer welded in so I can go back to using the OEM pipe clamp.

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Easy way to check if you're not sure and don't have a caliper measuring tool is to pull the PN off the pipe clamp:
1618606770769.png

1K0253141AA is the PN for the 65mm exhaust for the GTI.
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/Clamp-Muffler-Pipe-Front--Rear/54272864/1K0253141AA.html

1K0253141T - is the 60mm exhaust clamp that came on my 2017 GSW and is listed in the parts fiche for midpipe on 1.8T.
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...XHAUST-SYSTEM-EXHAUST-COMPONENTS/9272350.html

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I strongly recommend that you take a look at the Ultimate Racing DP. I got the one with the ceramic cat and no resonator. I'm using it with stock exhaust, and I LOVE it! It sounds great.
It installs very easily too. I think it cane out to $510 shipped. I didn't get the extended O2 sensor bung, but got the Vibrant straight spacer instead. I got the Vibrant since it gives me flexibility to put a smaller or bigger orifice in it, to make sure that it works and I don't get a CE light. I used the medium sized orifice, and I don't get any check engine lights, and my car cleared all the readiness monitors for the yearly inspection.
I don't have a single bad thing to say about it (yet). I have a total of about 800 miles +/-

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Still would need some sort of 65 to 60mm reducer I believe on that one as it's for the GTI.

Only one I recall that was clamp ready for a reducer was the IE catted DP, you pick up the APR reducer for 15 bucks and it clamps to the end of theirs and uses the stock clamp to connect to the catback.

jmsanders

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like cts has one too. They make you specify the engine before you order so maybe that means it comes with the correct reducer.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Looks like cts has one too. They make you specify the engine before you order so maybe that means it comes with the correct reducer.
Ahh.. didn't see that when I was looking at the CTS one. Was debating between ARM and CTS like you did. Went ARM as I picked up their FMIC and they had a 11% off coupon at the time. If CTS comes with a 60mm reducer that might be worth it as you'll probably need a spacer for both.

Just double check you don't need an o2 extender for the CTS. The ARM doesn't require one, you just have to remove the wiring from the clip behind the turbo else there is too much tension on it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I also just ordered the ARM FMIC. Looks like a nice piece of kit for $450.
@Keehs360 and I also picked up their FMIC. He's had his on a bit longer, and I got mine on last night. So far the only minor complaint is the ambient sensor location. They have you mount it to the driver FMIC mount arm and it sits behind the crash bar.

So far we've both noticed the reading is a bit off. In my limited seat time with it installed it was reading 78 on startup when my phone said 70 outside for the current temp. Dropped to 75 driving to the freeway, and dropped again to 73 after 5 minutes of moving at speed plus a few romps on the shakedown. So around 3-5 degrees off so far, going to do some driving today when it's warming and the suns out and see how it does.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion