Tough guy or waver?

• Tough Guy

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Waver

Votes: 220 78.9%

• Total voters

racerx20

Ready to race!
Truth is that most people aren't "car people" like us enthusiasts. To most a car is an appliance to get from A to B.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This is how pathetic our MK7 camaraderie is. I pulled into work and was excited to see a fellow GTI lowered and with a nice exhaust parked in the lot. I have never seen another modded GTI anywhere near my work. So I left a note saying that I have a GTI as well and was wondering if they were new to the company and left my work email. Crickets.... I saw the car for the next couple of days and still crickets.... If they cant even acknowledge that, then no way would they wave at anyone.

YOHB???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
To be fair, there hasn't been a single R32 guy who HASN'T enthusiastically waved first. Then again, there aren't that many around.

I would estimate I get a wave back by about 10% of the GTIs and Rs I wave to, including modded ones. It's discouraging but I keep doing it.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
A couple days ago I was driving around on the little island of Alameda where I live, and saw this bootyful black on black R coming towards me. Made defenite eye contact, so I stuck my hand out the window with and obvious peace sign as we passed. Not even a nod.

Whereas the gentleman I crossed paths with yesterday in the stock '18 Alltrack gave me both a wave and head nod.

I also got a honk from a white R on the freeway as he passed me during traffic hours. That was my first friendly encounter.

EDIT: Actually my first friendly encounter was the day I bought the car. I was leaving the dealer at the same time as another White Sport owner. We both looked each other and instead of a calm collected head nod or wave, we both hit each other with one of these

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
yeah id say its about 10% of the waves I initiate are reciprocated... kind of a bummer... Ive even started to throw deuces up to dudes in GLIs and other non mk7 golfs so as to get some kind of better return on my waving investment...

Haboob

Passed Driver's Ed
I used to be a waver when I had my Z, but would get little to no return waves, so I stopped a few years ago and now I'm a tough guy.

Though I will audibly notice another GTI on the road (GF thinks I'm crazy), but not wave or anything. Not worth the effort anymore.

ThatWhiteRabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of the GTIs I see are in heavy traffic along with me, so I only give the peace sign if it's safe.

My favorite was another GTI I passed on the interstate, I flashed the peace sign at the driver and he looked so surprised and delighted that he forgot to give it back. But his expression was good enough! (Maybe he was just surprised to see a woman doing it though!)

Vobs56

Ready to race!
The primary reason why I'm such a Gearhead is due to growing up with my father having a '70 Corvette Stingray. He bought it in the mid-70s and it's still his baby to this day. The Vette culture for appreciation of the cars and waving to others you pass in a vette is very strong and it's a pronounced fully extended arm out the window. When I was a kid I would go with him on cruises hoping we'd pass another vette so I could wave to them. For that reason, I always wave to another GTI owner regardless what I get reciprocated with lol.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
I got plenty of compliments and peace symbols in my mk2. Had the GTI for almost 2 years and it's like I'm invisible to other VW drivers. GTI's aren't very special in the PNW, every 10th person has one it seems.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I've only had one wave since I bought my GTI last November. Took me a second to realize what was happening. Smacked my hand on my window in a rush to wave back forgetting it was only partially opened. Probably looked like a fool lol but I couldn't stop looking at his Mk6 as I drive by. It was the best one I've seen.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bl33dBlue21

Go Kart Newbie
i always give the peace sign. since i bought my GTI (currently stocjk) ive gotten 1 wave back lol.. when i had my Mk5 jetta was some what modded i had plenty acknowlegement