GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage III vs IS38 for GTI

Jlungo

Ready to race!
Its odd because some ppls stage 3 apr is working while other ppl have sent their car down to APR to be fixed by them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
A few of us with some problems will be meeting with APR techs and engineers in Aberdeen, MD at New German peformance in a couple weeks. They have all the "problems" sorted out and they will be there to do the hardware and software updates and installs. Everything will also be verified on a dyno.

On an all-wheel drive Dyno the Stage 3+ car(s) they were testing for the fixes have consistantly made 444 awhp on 93 Octane. That translates into about 540 crank HP. Looks like one of the cars thats been taken to the dragstrip is running consistent 10.8s as well.

There is a thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26028

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
One interesting note from the latest APR posts...they took the aftermarket charge pipes/hoses off and put the oem ones back on, and gained power....

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
One interesting note from the latest APR posts...they took the aftermarket charge pipes/hoses off and put the oem ones back on, and gained power....

Charge/boost pipes or?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
We updated to the new production intent file and WG and redynoed at 402 AWTQ / 422 AWHP.

We then removed his aftermarket parts and installed new APR and OEM parts. We replaced his intake, intercooler, hoses and clamps with APR parts. We replaced his motor mounts, diverter valve, turbo outlet hose and throttle body pipe with OEM parts. We removed all water/meth parts. We changed his oil to 300v. We gapped the plugs to the proper specs. We pressure tested the system to 35 PSI to confirm it was leak free. We redynoed and it put down 410 AWTQ / 444 AWHP*.

Turbo outlet, and throttle body pipe, and aftermarket DV were all effecting the stage 3 car negatively.

*=That's around 540 hp at the crank.

Kyle_A3

Ready to race!
Turbo outlet, and throttle body pipe, and aftermarket DV were all effecting the stage 3 car negatively.

*=That's around 540 hp at the crank.

To be clear, there was nothing that showed any one of those items singularly were hurting performance. The apr engineers were just trying to remove as many variables as they could and put the car as close to their original test conditions as possible.

One thing they did see hurt performance were the mounts. on the a3 the BFI mounts seem to induce vibes that the engine thinks is knock

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
That is an excellent point, but at the same time, the OEM parts didn't effect performance in any meaningful way. (there was no advantage with keeping the aftermarket pieces).

That's the argument I'm making here. If you are 540 crank hp, and the Stock DV is doing great, maybe just leave it alone :).

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
We need some way to turn down the sensitivity of the knock sensor on this car. I imagine a car with that kind of power needs beefy mounts, but if it's going to hurt performance it's no good. This will happen as more BT kits make their way to the market

Kyle_A3

Ready to race!
That is an excellent point, but at the same time, the OEM parts didn't effect performance in any meaningful way. (there was no advantage with keeping the aftermarket pieces).

That's the argument I'm making here. If you are 540 crank hp, and the Stock DV is doing great, maybe just leave it alone :).

Exactly. I've learned a lot about modding this platform in the last few months. Unfortunately the lessons came after I spent decent chunks of money on after market performance parts that turned out to be at best unnecessary and potentially even detrimental to performance.

I'm most surprised about the forge bov though. it worked great when I was running an is38 setup and even seemed to cure some boost modulation issues I was having. but Im going to trust apr with this.

As far as mounts, I plan on just treating them as a normal wear item. afaik, nobody has actually busted an oem mount yet. They also don't seem ti be hurting all cars, maybe it's a3 specific. Tyler has them on his gti and he seems to be doing fine.

BTW if you haven't figured it out yet, that's my car that made 444 awhp on the Mustang dyno after swapping back to the oem parts

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for posting in the thread Kyle. Appreciate it. It's always good to have owner/tuner feedback on mods. Though it cost you a ton of money to figure it out, at least you can now save us some bucks. Thanks!