GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs. APR Stage 2

bszymko007

I recently tuned my 2017 golf R with APR stage 1 ecu & tcu software. I'm looking to go stage 2 in the future and was wondering if its noticeably faster than stage 1. Looking for some input from anyone that's APR stage 2.

Thurnis

Ready to race!
The difference is noticeable. It is not a humongous difference though. It's value over stage 1 on a daily is questionable. Stage 1 is just a tremendous value.

What are you looking for out of your car?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Lots of info about this on the R tuning forum if you look. When you say noticeable, are you talking subjective, or objective/empiracle? Can you notice increases in horsepower or torque at different RPM's than at Stage 1? Can you notice if you're accelerating to a terminal speed one-hundredth of a second faster? Two? Did you take tires and mounts into consideration so you're asking for direct comparisons, or just what you asked for, opinions that are probably meaningless without context?

bszymko007

The difference is noticeable. It is not a humongous difference though. It's value over stage 1 on a daily is questionable. Stage 1 is just a tremendous value.

What are you looking for out of your car?

A fast daily driver is really what I'm looking for. My friend has a stage 2 MK7 GTI and hes somehow faster than me. I know the GTI is slightly lighter but I'm hoping going stage 2 will help me beat any GTI's.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
The difference between stock and Stage 1 is bigger than Stage 1 to 2.

Had I known this, I would’ve spent my money on other more useful mods.

Mowe

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve seen graphs that show 50-75 whp difference and greater from stock to full stage 1. From that point to stage 2 I typically see a 20-30 whp and tq difference. Seems negligible.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Since I'm still stock, clearly I cannot compare anyone's stage 1 and stage 2 from my own experience. I'd say compare 1/4 mile trap speeds and ask yourself if that's worth it. My certain upgrade plans: intercooler, downpipe, ECU/TCU tunes for 93 octane. (This two-cent opinion comes from a stock R owner who had modified Subarus (stage 2 & 3) for 15 year.)

warpspeedr

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had APR Stage 2 for almost 18 month after having Stage 1 18 months prior. The seat-of-the-pants (butt dyno) difference is considerable - you won't regret the added cost. I now have Stage 2.6 which was free and I've noticed a difference even with that.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Your friends GTI (stg II) might be able to take you if you are both rolling. From a stop, he shouldn't beat you. Too hard for the GTI to keep the power on the ground, regardless of tire choice. Either of you running a manual? If you can afford it and are wondering if it's worth it, the answer is yes. Throw in an IC for good measure too, it helps, especially in the summer. Stage I for me was fun, but I quickly bumped to Stg II (APR) and noticed a difference in both responsiveness and power. It's a daily for me. Good luck deciding

Thurnis

Ready to race!
If you just want a fast daily then stage 1 is plenty.
If you have money to burn... then you know what to do.

A $700 to $1200 investment. Is not nearly as major as a $2600 to $4000 investment. But I'm 6 or 7k in after additional cosmetic, suspension, and tires in addition to stage 2. So just know stage 1 is blue pill. Stage 2 is a rabbit hole. You won't stop.