GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 surge

Greasyjonny

Passed Driver's Ed
Talking to the shop on Friday, tech said my waste gate was making excessive noise, and that hed adjust it and run a reset on it and see if that would solve the issue. Said that kowing the issue and hearing the wastegate act like it is he said it’s probably having a hard time properly regulating boost and it’s overshooting and cutting power. Will report back when I hear more

Greasyjonny

Passed Driver's Ed
So to me, at this moment, it looks like the issue all along was a bad wastegate adaption. Wastegate adaption reset and after 2 days it’s not having power on/off rapidly under steady 50-80% throttle. The adaption can be reset with obdeleven or whatever vagcom type hookup modern enough to talk with 2019+ models.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
If you are trying to diagnose an issue with your car I suggest using a diagnostic tool. VCDS isn't very expensive and if you plan to further modify your car it could come in handy more than just with the current issue.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
I've been having this same issue with just recently switching to the high torque map (Stg 1) from APR. That being said I'm in New England and just like everywhere else this year, its been record breaking hot. I'm having 'hiccups' or 'blips' of lost power between 3-4k in multiple gears across the power band. This was never the case in the low tq map, and now im wondering what is causing this. No aftermarket IC, but also wondering if its spark (need new plugs or new gap %).

This isn't worth the difference in power if its a problem with the high tq map from APR, the low tq map was perfect up until the switch.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've been having this same issue with just recently switching to the high torque map (Stg 1) from APR. That being said I'm in New England and just like everywhere else this year, its been record breaking hot. I'm having 'hiccups' or 'blips' of lost power between 3-4k in multiple gears across the power band. This was never the case in the low tq map, and now im wondering what is causing this. No aftermarket IC, but also wondering if its spark (need new plugs or new gap %).

This isn't worth the difference in power if its a problem with the high tq map from APR, the low tq map was perfect up until the switch.
You need an IC for sure.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
It will be happening as it’s slowly becoming a track car, but maybe a little more discussion on the topic instead of just resorting to adding aftermarket parts. There’s got to be more thought to it than that. But! If it cools down and the problem goes away, then I guess you’re correct.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It will be happening as it’s slowly becoming a track car, but maybe a little more discussion on the topic instead of just resorting to adding aftermarket parts. There’s got to be more thought to it than that. But! If it cools down and the problem goes away, then I guess you’re correct.
What I was getting at is because you don't have an upgraded IC it's probably heat soaked reducing power.

Greasyjonny

Passed Driver's Ed
As I said a few posts up, I had the issue from day one on the apr low torque tune, switched to hi torque and it was still there. The new tuner happened to notice the waste gate was pretty noisy and did an adaption reset on it. This practically eliminated the problem. A week later i maybe felt it once but it was significantly softer. I’m loving this stage 1 hi torque now