GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 surge

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI
All,

New guy here! I bout my car brand new last month and had an APR stage 1 tune installed the first week. Additionally, I did stock air box mods i.e. MST turbo inlet pipe, hose, turbo muffler delete, AFe filter and snow guard removal.

that said, my car surges in gears 2 and 3 during light pulls with the A/C on and ASR activated. It typically dissipates when both are turned off. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance!

cheers,
Adam

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Gears are too low.

Describe the surge better.
I really don’t think it’s the clutch. The car had 350 miles in it when I had the tune installed and I really don’t drive it super hard. The car currently has 2600 miles on the clock and the RPMs don’t climb/dive as they would with a slipping clutch

the surge feels just like you would think - it pulls and kind of loses steam, then pulls and back and fourth. Not super violent but definitely enough to notice.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I really don’t think it’s the clutch. The car had 350 miles in it when I had the tune installed and I really don’t drive it super hard. The car currently has 2600 miles on the clock and the RPMs don’t climb/dive as they would with a slipping clutch

the surge feels just like you would think - it pulls and kind of loses steam, then pulls and back and fourth. Not super violent but definitely enough to notice.
And you have ESC off? You coded it to be off?

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I’m thinking clutch or it’s the torque protection that is giving the unnatural driving feel.

Go ahead and contact APR. they’re very responsive on things like that.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have turbo flutter in higher gears on my 1.8/IS12 87 octane stage 1 APR tune. Kinda bothers me, don’t feel that such a low torque, 87 octane tune should induce flutter ever

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I’m thinking clutch or it’s the torque protection that is giving the unnatural driving feel.

Go ahead and contact APR. they’re very responsive on things like that.
Highly doubt it’s the clutch. I’ve never driven it super hard and it only has 2600 miles on it. I have the shop that installed the tune calling APR’s tech service.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Might be worth it to try a throttle body alignment/reset.

With the mk7s does the gear indicator disappear while the clutch is slipping? That was always an easy way to tell if it was the clutch on the mk6. If the clutch was bad enough to slip in 2nd and 3rd with light throttle you'd definitely be complaining about the taller gears too, so I don't really think it's that either.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Might be worth it to try a throttle body alignment/reset.

With the mk7s does the gear indicator disappear while the clutch is slipping? That was always an easy way to tell if it was the clutch on the mk6. If the clutch was bad enough to slip in 2nd and 3rd with light throttle you'd definitely be complaining about the taller gears too, so I don't really think it's that either.

the mk7 does the same thing too.