GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 1 surge

Razgriz337

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7R
APR has no knowledge of this when I called I find this odd because I found a post about this in the mk6 forums. It’s obviously a known issue.

MK6 uses a very different ECU so it's unlikely an issue would carry over unless it's more of a "design" issue.

You can log the ECU with OBDEleven and send them the data.

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI
Plus if you go with the Cobb AP and one of the tuners mentioned you can capture logs on the AP and send to the tuner to get any problems fixed.
Excellent. I have a question - if I want to do this, do I need to get my car flashed back to stock first? Or, will buying this, plus an EQT tune remove the APR tune and replace it with the EQT? Sorry for all the questions. Newb here.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Excellent. I have a question - if I want to do this, do I need to get my car flashed back to stock first? Or, will buying this, plus an EQT tune remove the APR tune and replace it with the EQT? Sorry for all the questions. Newb here.
You need to flash back to stock first.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
If you have android. I’ve been waiting forever to get that feature added to iOS.
Thanks. I still have an old android I used from before iOS support. Nothing is easy...

I had an APR Stage 1 high torque 93 octane installed about 6 weeks ago. I decided to install it for the summer months to see how it handled the heat. Before that I had a JB4. I love the APR - it pulls like a tractor. I barely noticed the turbo surge yesterday when it was over 80 degrees out.
I did snap in this blocking plate when I had the JB4 and it improved the intake air temperature at least in stop and go traffic:
ECS News New Volkswagen MQB Gen3 Air Inlet Duct Block-off Plate - 5q0129849KT - MQB Air Inlet Duct Blockoff Plate Kit (5q0 129 849 KT) (ecstuning.com)
There is also an intake with a flap from the newer GLI's for a few bucks more:
5Q0129254E / 5Q0129747
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/revised-stock-intake-for-mk7-gli.373473/
They keep the hot air in the engine compartment from being sucked into the intake. At speed probably no difference - maybe a little ram air action with the blocking plate. I can pop it out for winter to let the snow blow through.

The bottom line is, any tune on the GTI and Golf R will need an aftermarket intercooler when it is hot out. I'm trying to avoid one. If I lived down south I would already have it. I'll try to do some data logs with the OBD11 to see what's happening and probably call APR.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I'm in FL and I've never had surging because of heat. It might not pull as hard some days, but never surging and I don't have an aftermarket intercooler.

Greasyjonny

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks. I still have an old android I used from before iOS support. Nothing is easy...

I had an APR Stage 1 high torque 93 octane installed about 6 weeks ago. I decided to install it for the summer months to see how it handled the heat. Before that I had a JB4. I love the APR - it pulls like a tractor. I barely noticed the turbo surge yesterday when it was over 80 degrees out.
I did snap in this blocking plate when I had the JB4 and it improved the intake air temperature at least in stop and go traffic:
ECS News New Volkswagen MQB Gen3 Air Inlet Duct Block-off Plate - 5q0129849KT - MQB Air Inlet Duct Blockoff Plate Kit (5q0 129 849 KT) (ecstuning.com)
5Q0129254E / 5Q0129747
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/revised-stock-intake-for-mk7-gli.373473/
They keep the hot air in the engine compartment from being sucked into the intake. At speed probably no difference - maybe a little ram air action with the blocking plate. I can pop it out for winter to let the snow blow through.

The bottom line is, any tune on the GTI and Golf R will need an aftermarket intercooler when it is hot out. I'm trying to avoid one. If I lived down south I would already have it. I'll try to do some data logs with the OBD11 to see what's happening and probably call APR.
I don’t think a stage 1 tune should require an intercooler. That said it’s possible a better intercooler would “solve” the issue by reducing temps when it’s hot. But that’s more of a bandaid. On the mk6 revisions, apr called this “turbo oscillation.” The turbo is builds strong boost for an instant and then it’s gone. Then it’s back on, then off again. Back and forth 3 or 4 times in just a second or two, and it only happens under partial (50-80%) throttle. Never full throttle.

I did toy around with the TC settings as recommended earlier (was that this thread or another?) and surprisingly that helped a bit (even tho the TC light never comes on when power is being cut). But I didn’t really get as much time as I’d have hoped to rule out coincidence before I dropped it back off at the tuners shop. Hopefully we’ll have some info next week.

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I'm in FL and I've never had surging because of heat. It might not pull as hard some days, but never surging and I don't have an aftermarket intercooler.
You have EQT. If APR is not handling high temperatures correctly they need to fix it. As far as pulling on hot days, even with my JB4, an intercooler would be a big improvement in my opinion.

Last edited:

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I don’t think a stage 1 tune should require an intercooler. That said it’s possible a better intercooler would “solve” the issue by reducing temps when it’s hot. But that’s more of a bandaid. On the mk6 revisions, apr called this “turbo oscillation.” The turbo is builds strong boost for an instant and then it’s gone. Then it’s back on, then off again. Back and forth 3 or 4 times in just a second or two, and it only happens under partial (50-80%) throttle. Never full throttle.

I did toy around with the TC settings as recommended earlier (was that this thread or another?) and surprisingly that helped a bit (even tho the TC light never comes on when power is being cut). But I didn’t really get as much time as I’d have hoped to rule out coincidence before I dropped it back off at the tuners shop. Hopefully we’ll have some info next week.
Okay, let us know how you make out. Arin from ADP is hanging around promoting their August sale. Maybe blow up his threads...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
You have EQT. APR is not handling high temperatures correctly and they need to fix it. As far as pulling on hot days, even with my JB4, an intercooler would be a big improvement in my opinion.
It'll help in a way, but if it's a tuning issue it's not going to help with the specific issue you're having.

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI

5Q0129254E / 5Q0129747

I have the ECS block off plate. I’ve wondered if an FMIC would help, but I’m also trying to avoid spending the money. It’s hot as hell here, but I’m trying small stuff first.

Lewie_7.5

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI

Good info here. The “turbo oscillation” is literally the exact problem I’m experiencing. This will give me ammo when I email APR about it tomorrow.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have the ECS block off plate. I’ve wondered if an FMIC would help, but I’m also trying to avoid spending the money. It’s hot as hell here, but I’m trying small stuff first.
I'm not saying it's the problem but you definitely need an intercooler.