GOLFMKV

APR Probem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I really wish I could see how this is misleading. Are there some that think the wheel has some sort of properties that allow it to have two center bore sizes unrelated to the following bullet point that discusses the ring?
That's just gibberish. You would fit right in the Covid thread. There are a lot of people who will only buy a wheel that is hubcentric without rings.

cb1111

I get what you’re saying but from my understanding Hub centric rings fill the gap between the wheel's center bore and the car’s hub. This aligns and centers the tire and wheel assembly on the vehicle. They can play a role in minimizing vibration. Because the wheel can’t sort of “micro shift” at the lug level since the hub reduces that play. Thusly removing that stress.

am I wrong? Because I always thought that’s how the rings worked. I’m not trying to be a smart ass, I’m genuinely looking forward to accurate information. Regardless if I’m right or wrong.
Without a hubcentric wheel (or that ring), it is very hard to center the wheel. Assuming that you can get the wheel centered, then the lug bolts or lugnuts effectively clamp the wheel to the hub creating essentially one piece. The ring just helps center the wheel and for street applications it is really immaterial what the ring is made of because it does little once the lugbolts/nuts are tightened down properly.

cb1111

That's just gibberish. You would fit right in the Covid thread. There are a lot of people who will only buy a wheel that is hubcentric without rings.
Over the years I've been following these threads and Arin often turns stubborn - something that never turns out well and puts his company into a bad light.

Why can't he just say "you're right, we screwed up, let me see what I can do to fix it."?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Over the years I've been following these threads and Arin often turns stubborn - something that never turns out well and puts his company into a bad light.

Why can't he just say "you're right, we screwed up, let me see what I can do to fix it."?

Exactly. Instead he tries to reword what he said and try to sound like a lawyer. He should call Ed at EQT for customer service lessons.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Without a hubcentric wheel (or that ring), it is very hard to center the wheel. Assuming that you can get the wheel centered, then the lug bolts or lugnuts effectively clamp the wheel to the hub creating essentially one piece. The ring just helps center the wheel and for street applications it is really immaterial what the ring is made of because it does little once the lugbolts/nuts are tightened down properly.
Gotcha. Thnx.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

I’ve been here a short while. But yeah I’ve noticed how pear shape his threads go.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lemme kick in my two cents. By definition a hub centric fit removes and reduces stress off of the lug’s. because the stress will be on the hubs themselves, at least the majority of the stress.

ask yourself this, good men of the golf. Do the apr wheels place stress on the hub or the lugs? Does it matter how it’s doing it if it’s doing it in a safe manner that’s still effective?

I’m not an apr fan boy or anything. Just here to call a spade a spade.

First off to be clear I think APR needs to spell it out in plain English that these wheels include hub centric rings for VW fitment.

But, with that said I’ve been running OEM Audi wheels and spacers that are NOT hub centric and do NOT have rings installed for around 40k miles...never once have I had vibrations or any other issues. When wheels are bolted properly and torqued to spec the whole mounting surface of the wheel and hub are what carries the stress and load, the lugs only see the tension of the applied torque.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
No, your information is correct.

Thank you.

To clarify, I spoke with some others in the wheel industry to make sure I'm explaining things correctly here. Any wheel, with the correct hub centering ring, hub adapter, hub-centric ring, insert, or any other term you would like to use, is hub-centric if it matches the hub onto which it's installed. Hub-centricity simply means the wheel is centered via the hub, rather than relying on the lug-nuts to keep the wheel centered, which can be difficult to do. Without centering the wheel, you run the risk of wobbles amplified at speed, which is what you want to avoid. The main go-to solution for centering rings are these cheap orange plastic half rings that tend to crack, crumble, and melt. They aren't very good, are quite problematic, and are the source of most of the online debates about rings. We use a different material and style to quell these issues.

The hangup in the term "hub-centric" seems to fall around some saying this term cannot be used if a ring is used. I understand where you're coming from. However, this is not correct. The ring makes the wheel hub-centric. The centricity of the wheel becomes reliant on the hub, hence the term hub-centric vs other terms such as lug-centric. With respects to any suggestions of hub-centric nativity to the 57.1mm hub, our product page clearly indicates both hub sizes, and the use of an insert.

Thank you

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thank you.

To clarify, I spoke with some others in the wheel industry to make sure I'm explaining things correctly here. Any wheel, with the correct hub centering ring, hub adapter, hub-centric ring, insert, or any other term you would like to use, is hub-centric if it matches the hub onto which it's installed. Hub-centricity simply means the wheel is centered via the hub, rather than relying on the lug-nuts to keep the wheel centered, which can be difficult to do. Without centering the wheel, you run the risk of wobbles amplified at speed, which is what you want to avoid. The main go-to solution for centering rings are these cheap orange plastic half rings that tend to crack, crumble, and melt. They aren't very good, are quite problematic, and are the source of most of the online debates about rings. We use a different material and style to quell these issues.

The hangup in the term "hub-centric" seems to fall around some saying this term cannot be used if a ring is used. I understand where you're coming from. However, this is not correct. The ring makes the wheel hub-centric. The centricity of the wheel becomes reliant on the hub, hence the term hub-centric vs other terms such as lug-centric. With respects to any suggestions of hub-centric nativity to the 57.1mm hub, our product page clearly indicates both hub sizes, and the use of an insert.

Thank you

All wheels are therefore hubcentric if rings are used. Plastic rings can break. Some tire shops don't bother noticing that the ring fell off and install the non hubcentric wheel without the ring. There are lots of people who want to buy a wheel where the wheel itself is hubcentric and don't want to use rings.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
All wheels are therefore hubcentric if rings are used. Plastic rings can break. Some tire shops don't bother noticing that the ring fell off and install the non hubcentric wheel without the ring. There are lots of people who want to buy a wheel where the wheel itself is hubcentric and don't want to use rings.

Everything you said is correct.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thank you.

Thank you

Doubling down. Predictable. The wheel is not hub centric for our application, the hub ring is. It would be like saying your wheel was designed for an application, but you need spacers to make it fit. Just as you have different part numbers for different width tires, it wasn't clear if you had 2 different wheels and both were hub centric or if the wheels were hub centric for some Audi applications and needed hub rings for VW. AGAIN, there's nothing wrong with using a high quality well designed hub ring, people are just asking that you don't claim the wheel is hub centric for our application if it requires a hub ring.

But keep alienating your customer base with your ego.

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thank you.

Thank you

Would it really be that hard to make it crystal clear and just say that your wheels are 66.5 mm CB and that a ring is provided for VW fitments? I don't get what you're gaining by coming here and blowing this thread up and calling your own potential customers idiots on a technicality when you know that rings are already a sticking point for many people.

Hell in your own thread here:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...ed-wheels-new-sizes-colors-and-prices.371797/

your description of the wheel centerbore was so vague that someone had to clarify with you (on the second post) if the wheels actually came in two different CBs or if they used rings, so you already know it's a vague description. Someone who doesn't come to the forums and just went straight to the site would end up being confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.