GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 1.4 TSI ECU Upgrade!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Why are you overusing periods so much? Holy shit. Three will do in any case.

If over-paying for less performance is your thing just have you and your friends buy the MTM/ABT warrantied tunes. Once again, no US tuner will give you a warranty. You accept the risk when you choose to put your car over the "design specs". I wish your friends the best of luck in overpaying for inferior products.

Sometimes its painfully obvious why car modifying isn't big in EU lol

over paying for inferior products?.....................................(that enough dots?) no just a bit cautious......

as for car modding not big in EU? wow you really know your stuff don't you?

NOT!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
over paying for inferior products?.....................................(that enough dots?) no just a bit cautious......

as for car modding not big in EU? wow you really know your stuff don't you?

NOT!

Well when you consider that the MTM or ABT tuning box is more than twice as expensive as the APR tune and you get significantly less power, I would say yes that is inferior. Trust me I have been very public about my at times negative thoughts for APR but you cannot fault them in the R&D department. They wouldn't be selling a product that is blowing up gearboxes like you seem to suggest.

The EU tuning scene is not even close to what the tuning scene is in other places. Just compare the shear number of performance parts and tuning companies in each region. I'm talking about performance modifications here, not changing little convenience items like in your build thread.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well when you consider that the MTM or ABT tuning box is more than twice as expensive as the APR tune and you get significantly less power, I would say yes that is inferior. Trust me I have been very public about my at times negative thoughts for APR but you cannot fault them in the R&D department. They wouldn't be selling a product that is blowing up gearboxes like you seem to suggest.

The EU tuning scene is not even close to what the tuning scene is in other places. Just compare the shear number of performance parts and tuning companies in each region. I'm talking about performance modifications here, not changing little convenience items like in your build thread.

Many other European forum members will disagree with your statements on the European tuning scene being small.

& I DO know what "proper full on mods" are, I know a few people who are doing such things & have done so in the past to my own cars. (polybushed all rubber mounts, lowered suspension, built CAI kits, fitted braking systems from other cars on, & currently helping a mate fit a big vanos v8 to an old E28 5 series), plus the fact I've been mechanic-ing on VAG cars for 20yrs, for myself & mates (anything from small Polo to R32 to cars you don't get over there).

Just this car was pretty good from the factory, apart from VW skimping on the fitment of what I call basic essentials which of course you will have noticed from my build thread (thanks for reading).

Mind you the ESC off button retro fit thread now has 13,800ish views, & USP Motorsport then made a very expensive kit of parts copying my DIY thread. The aero undertray thread has 9,600ish views, then there are the other DIY mod threads I have done, so obviously many other people find these simple mods essential/important to them also!

Arin answered my other question on the other thread (thanks) so I'm out:cool:

Last edited:

Thibault China

Ready to race!
Also, just wondering,
I heard that some ECU Upgrade (other brands) can have some effects on factory setting, especially on the Stop&Start system that is no longer active after flashing the ECU.
Does your ECU Upgrade have these kind of effects?

Thibault China

Ready to race!
So if nothing is changed concerning the start&stop system, therefor I'm guessing the new ecu-map must not affect this, right?

Plus, do you have an idea of where an upgrade will be available for 1.4tsi 150hp/250Nml engine?
Do you guys already started to work on it or still waiting for a test-vehicle?

Thibault China

Ready to race!
Thanx a lot !
I do hope it will be before summer.

Concerning Stage I upgrade,
I've just installed an intake (from ARMA speed) and a CATless downpipe....
Would it definitely help final output just with a StageI upgraded ECU?

modified intake + CATless downpipe + Stage I ECU
compared to
stock intake + stock downpipe + Stage I ECU
?

Thibault China

Ready to race!
Correct! no change. For the other 1.4, we just need to tune it. I don't have dates for that yet, but when were close, I'll mention it.

Ok, so, the Upgrade for the 150hp/250Nm EA2111 engine will be available soon...
My local dealer here in China asked me my Vin number to check compatibility ^^.

Could you give us the actual output APR gets from this upgraded-ECU ?

Ponchotg

A year, and still no news on the ECU upgrade for the 1.4 tsi 150hp/250nm
Do you think this could be done anytime soon, or in the next few years before I change cars?? Lol

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The gearbox is at its safe limits of 250Nm already ...not worth risking a slipped clutch pack....

Just use 99 ron (UK) fuel & good oil

Ponchotg

The gearbox is at its safe limits of 250Nm already ...not worth risking a slipped clutch pack....

Just use 99 ron (UK) fuel & good oil

Thank you Dave, I thought so myself and argued with myself if the mod was worth the trouble and possibility of breaking my car, but your advice settled it, will spend that money on Ed's headlights instead, anyway I am really happy with my golf's performance (but wouldn't mind if I got a little more kick)
Thanks

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thank you Dave, I thought so myself and argued with myself if the mod was worth the trouble and possibility of breaking my car, but your advice settled it, will spend that money on Ed's headlights instead, anyway I am really happy with my golf's performance (but wouldn't mind if I got a little more kick)
Thanks

Do you have the MQ250? I'm not actually sure of the differences between the European MQ250 and the US MQ250, but I can't imagine they are great. I am currently running 380nm through my MQ250 without a hint of issue, and while I might be one of the lucky ones with my clutch, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with less torque than me. Though I suppose me saying this kind of defeats the point of golfdave making you feel good about your decision to give up on this... Sorry!

Ponchotg

Do you have the MQ250? I'm not actually sure of the differences between the European MQ250 and the US MQ250, but I can't imagine they are great. I am currently running 380nm through my MQ250 without a hint of issue, and while I might be one of the lucky ones with my clutch, I haven't heard of anyone having issues with less torque than me. Though I suppose me saying this kind of defeats the point of golfdave making you feel good about your decision to give up on this... Sorry!

LOL
Well, I have the DSG one, I believe it is DQ250 haven't heard anyone having issues with it, but since there aren't a lot of cheap ECU mods to my golf version don't know many people with them in their cars.... Would have to wait and see if others have had issues with it to completely settle this... But in the meantime Ed's headlights have been hunting me in my dreams for a long time!!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ok folks, I have the Manual MQ250 which has a safe limit of 250Nm..the DSG is different, 280Nm I think...but it is a weaker design compared to the DSG in the GTI/GTD/R....

other more experienced people have posted on this forum that same info, they have seen these weaker gearboxes with the clutch's slipping from tunes...

I researched in the summer of 2014 (ordered my Golf then) tuning for the 1.4TSI 140/150 engine.....the best were MTM & ABT....both limit the NM to 250 because of the clutch & gearboxes for Manual & DSG.....but very expensive £1200+ with warranty.

Our engine has variable intake & exhaust camshafts, direct fuel injection (into the cylinder) so can really alter the timing so best use of money is to buy the best petrol....which you would have to do for a proper tune anyway!!

Do oil changes ever 10,000miles/or 1yr....use good oil etc also...