GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR No Longer Providing Stage 2 Tunes After Labour Day. Other Tuners to Follow

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It does not 'run rich over time', it runs rich any time a P0420 is set (cat efficiency code). It's not that rich in the grand scheme of things or enough to really affect MPG, but I still pulled mine. MPG test isn't a valid way to really test this, too many variables. I've taken several logs and it runs like 0.1-0.3 AFR points richer with the sensor plugged in.....not a big deal, but it's definitely a thing.

I'm sorry but richer impies less MPG. I've checked spark plugs and MPG and there's nothing else relevant to it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If they ban downpipes/exhaust mods in general.... It would ruin my whole plan for the GTI 😭. I can't stay on the stock choked up downpipe forever, what are people supposed to do? I guess they're hoping that extra, custom exhaust work will deter people from changing it? This sucks.

There's still plenty of companies making them at this time so just in case get one now.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I wonder if this could trickle down to end users getting huge fines. Like the guy at the smog shack reporting you to the cops/epa if he spots a catless dp. That'd suck, however unlikey. I think the max penalty is 10 grand?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
So if I have an APR downpipe already with an unused code, I’ll still be able to upgrade to Stage 2 AFTER Labor Day?

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
This began years ago. APR and Cobb were the ones smacked years ago. This is why Cobb removes access to ATR. All relates to disabling the disabling of the rear O2 back in the day.

Justgotohm

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE SP 6sp M
Meanwhile out in the oceans:

"Carnival Corporation, the world’s largest luxury cruise operator, emitted nearly 10 times more sulphur oxide (SOX) around European coasts than did all 260 million European cars in 2017, a new analysis by sustainable transport group Transport & Environment reveals" https://www.transportenvironment.org/press/luxury-cruise-giant-emits-10-times-more-air-pollution-sox-all-europe’s-cars-–-study

But hey EPA, keep going after those crazy high flow downpipe sellers!

I was only planning on going stage 2 next year. Guess I will remain stock DP till I trade in the car some time later.
Yes the worlds maritime industry accounts for around %15 of the worlds pollution.
The low sulfur mandate from the International Maritime Organization took effect globally this year, which was an enormous reduction on emissions from ships and required carriers to invest billions to meet the standards.
My career has been in the maritime industry, I have seen a lot of positive change in the 20 short years I have been involved. In the early 2000’s it started with a tier system. All new boats and some older boats had to be modified to tier 1, now we are tier 3. I can physically see less black stacking with the newer designs, some of our boats are using Def injection.
I’m a fan, it’s cleaner, we get much better GPH numbers, but it is expensive to install and maintain. In the 50’s there was a larger percentage of vessels using diesel electric, I think this would be the way to go now really. Engines can run much more efficiently when only running at very specific rpms, it’s much quieter as well.

The huge number of giant container ships are the biggest polluters, from what I heard.
Again you are correct. Changes like ships having to run diesel while X number of miles close to shore and transversing inland waterways, LNG is becoming more mainstream, and better management of the burn cycle and some attempts at using scrubbers in the exhaust cycle.
This is slow going, one major obstacle is ship owners registering ships in third world countries to skirt taxes. These countries do not implement the same environmental initiatives as their modern equivalents. It will have to come down to ships not being able to trade in ports if they do not adhere to local environmental standards.
That’s a catch 22 as the task of breaking ships down is an environmental disaster in itself.
Change is taking place, it is a slow process and will require policy from all countries to raise the floor.
One thing I find funny is the comparison of the maritime industry (discounting the cruise industry) that literally is the back bone of all human trade on the planet to a part for a car so you can pull on Mustangs. I mean I am guilty as all of you, shit I’m glad I’ve gotten my ride past all of this before restrictions etc hit.
Just be well informed of the billions and billions of dollars already spent cleaning up a very dirty industry. A huge percentage of everything you use on a daily bases was once on a ship.
Something else that cracks me up. I was driving my F150 to work which cost me about $120 one way. I now drive my GTI which cost me about $50-60. I get to work and can sometimes burn 4000 gal a day in fuel, in my defense I am very mindful of burn rate and run efficiently as possible.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
So if I have an APR downpipe already with an unused code, I’ll still be able to upgrade to Stage 2 AFTER Labor Day?

Yes, I confirmed this with APR.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The bump from stage 1 to stage 2 is not worth it anyway. The cost and especially the absolute joy of removing the stock downpipe nets a very underwhelming result.

Stage1 has 90% of the gains for much less cost, with none of the hassles of stage 2. No need to deal with drone, rasp, CELs or emission compliance.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Reading through all these comments about all the restrictions that APR has in the past placed on what parts have to be installed for a certain stage tune makes me wonder why anyone would have used them in the first place. I agree that they make quality products but I'll get tuned by a company that doesn't have these restrictions. I won't even get into all the advantages of the Cobb platform.
It does not 'run rich over time', it runs rich any time a P0420 is set (cat efficiency code). It's not that rich in the grand scheme of things or enough to really affect MPG, but I still pulled mine. MPG test isn't a valid way to really test this, too many variables. I've taken several logs and it runs like 0.1-0.3 AFR points richer with the sensor plugged in.....not a big deal, but it's definitely a thing.

This. I'm stage 2 EQT protune and hadn't disconnected my rear O2 and threw this code. Emailed Ed about it and he said just disconnect it. Done. I just hate having a CEL....my days of rocking the CEL sticker proudly are over....

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
The bump from stage 1 to stage 2 is not worth it anyway. The cost and especially the absolute joy of removing the stock downpipe nets a very underwhelming result.

Stage1 has 90% of the gains for much less cost, with none of the hassles of stage 2. No need to deal with drone, rasp, CELs or emission compliance.
Maybe through APR, Uni or GIAC, but through a protune, it's VERY noticeable and very worth it.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Really just considering selling my downpipe now. I only had it on for about 500 miles and haven't used the Stage 2 upgrade code. I was going to put it back on my new GTI after trading in my last one but it's just been sitting in it's box in the corner of my garage. Maybe I'll put the money towards a nice catback instead..