GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Woah! left this thread for 12 hours and came back to....

giphy.gif

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
This thread did turn hilarious, but I really hope APR can step up and lay down the law at some point. I'm hoping they just say that the software file dropped was wrong and that is causing everyone's problems. If it was hardware, yikes. That's just false advertising. I really hope not.

Bassman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Just to let everyone know who's interested in buying this thing, if you have the Apr charge pipes it will not work. There is a gap of around 4-5 inches and the diameter is different. I assume any aftermarket charge pipes wouldn't work either. Really kinda of upset Apr didn't state that in the first place. You'd think being as it's an apr charge pipe they would want it to work with their Apr turbo. Im a tech at an Apr dealer and I still can't believe how little information and support they provide to us sometime.

Exactly the same issue I ran into, but I also have a solution for you :)

I ordered the new APR turbo outlet hose (Part# MS100213) at UROtuning. Even after 3 weeks waiting, APR never shipped the hose out. So I canceled my order and I had to find a away around to make my APR charge pipes work again.

I measured that the APR DTR6054 Turbo outlet is 2.0” and the original APR hose that came with my APR charge pipes is ~2.75” to short.

Ordered a 2” ID straight silicone hose 3” long and one 2” butt fit aluminum adapter from Amazon.

Hiwowsport 3'' Length Straight Silicone 4-Ply Straight Coupler Silicone Hose Black+Red with T-clamp Inner Diameter (2.0"(51mm)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8SJXDF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RK5AH6Z5NJMFM6Z3YBX8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

ICT Billet 2" to 2" Inch Hose Barb Splice Coupler Repair Mend Fitting Adapter Connector Radiator Coolant Intercooler Heat Exchanger Fluid Designed & Manufactured in USA Bare Aluminum AN627-32A
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084KWZR9Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ABCEE5PZYH67MH2FM4P4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

04E962C2-D486-44D7-A45D-3F3CBA6E739F.jpegF2BDF58C-F748-47F6-8FF2-BED6A637254B.jpeg1D6874CD-2992-4747-B166-05E799D0540E.jpeg4F1094CF-F7D3-4EE8-A932-FFB320EAC889.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I think we're going to start seeing a lot of this.

UrQwYOP (1).png

I really hope it gets worked out. On paper, the kit is phenomenal for the price. Even if it falls short of 400hp, it still looks like a good value for GTI folk who either are stock, or at a simple stage 1. R folk, or folks who may have swapped over from IS38 GTI's (I know of at least two, and one of them has been pretty vocal about their disappointment), I hope it ends up living up to what was advertised so it doesn't end up being a waste.

Really looking forwards to @riceburner's feedback once it gets flashed, I haven't heard of anyone else doing the fueling upgrades on an R yet.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I think we're going to start seeing a lot of this.

View attachment 245562

I really hope it gets worked out. On paper, the kit is phenomenal for the price. Even if it falls short of 400hp, it still looks like a good value for GTI folk who either are stock, or at a simple stage 1. R folk, or folks who may have swapped over from IS38 GTI's (I know of at least two, and one of them has been pretty vocal about their disappointment), I hope it ends up living up to what was advertised so it doesn't end up being a waste.

Really looking forwards to @riceburner's feedback once it gets flashed, I haven't heard of anyone else doing the fueling upgrades on an R yet.

Though that's the thing. Is it really that much more over a stage 1 unless we're looking to constantly go over 100mph? Stage 1 might be enough for those that just need to blow by cars between the 45-75mph range. I know my current stg1 is limited already just because I've yet to upgrade the intercooler. If I had the suggested upgrades (IC and clutch), this would be the next ideal no brainer upgrade since it basically would be "good to go". Yet is it worth it REALLY worth it over stage 1? Previous posts suggest similar #s to stg1 I believe with the 60-130 times?

Again, not really looking to utilize those ranges so I'm curious moreso how this turbo would compare to stg1 is20 for daily use. I've heard increased lag, so perhaps is20 would feel faster in the lower spectrum due to the more instant powa you get? Though I'm pretty confident the bigger turbo would and should hold top end better (even others suggested it continues to pull to redline), though who does that benefit more? The guys staying under 90mph or the guys constantly going over 100mph? I think I know the answer to that already but wouldn't mind hearing from others.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Just to let everyone know who's interested in buying this thing, if you have the Apr charge pipes it will not work. There is a gap of around 4-5 inches and the diameter is different. I assume any aftermarket charge pipes wouldn't work either. Really kinda of upset Apr didn't state that in the first place. You'd think being as it's an apr charge pipe they would want it to work with their Apr turbo. Im a tech at an Apr dealer and I still can't believe how little information and support they provide to us sometime.

We state this on the tech resources: "To fit this system with APR Compressor Outlet Pipes, use the APR DTR6054 Compressor Outlet Hose Conversion Kit (MS100213)."

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Installed this for @riceburner today.

The instructions Apr gave for the low pressure fuel pump are terrible. Literally incorrect and advised to connect the wrong wires to the pump. Luckily the error was spotted but if we had followed apr's guide it wouldn't start and we'd be pulling the pump again to troubleshoot. The pictures in the guide don't match the pump and it's just very poorly written with all kinds of nonsense and spelling mistakes. Do better @Arin@APR I see a lot of complaints coming your way if the guide isn't fixed.

The instructions should be the same as the ones we have supplied for about 5+ years with our LPFP and MPI kits based on our original EFR turbo kits. I'm happy to make corrections if needed. Perhaps a hardware part has changed on some model? Shoot me an email with the info and I'll get it to the instruction team: aahnell@goapr.com

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Only 22 psi max? I know boost isn't everything when making power, but that is certainly on the lower end. I have high doubts this kit will reach 400whp at those boost levels. Something seems off...

I still can't believe APR doesn't allow logging, monitoring, or switching of maps without a dealer. Working with a friend to work out some kinks in his 2015 R which has been APR stage 2 since it rolled off the lot. I'd love to be able to flash it back to stock until the car is running as it should, but nooooo....uhggg

PSI is a changing variable, but 22 PSI sounds low.

Our tune does not Disable logging. You can log all day long with whatever tools you want.

I'd love map switching, but we never developed it for this ECU. We are working on a method of at home flashing. It's a long term project so I can't commit to a date, but it's a top priority for the brand.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
So went out early this morning because yesterday it was raining on and off. I did 2 60-130 runs using Diggs recommendations. I also did a 1/4 mile run to see what the trap speed was because that tells a story also. Sadly nothing was that impressive. Obviously the et is crap because the car spun as seen in the graph but trap speed doesn’t really lie. Not really sure what’s up but just doesn’t seem right. I did double check my Wastegate and it’s at 3.84 at idle using the is20 gate. I’m lost.
These results are significantly slower than my own testing, and other customers. Surely there is a reason, and we'll get to the bottom of it.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
These results are significantly slower than my own testing, and other customers. Surely there is a reason, and we'll get to the bottom of it.
I’ve sent logs and the same dragy screenshots to Kal. The car is consistent so I doubt it’s heat related. I have yet to see another GLI running this kit with numbers so not much to compare.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I'm aware of two customers who are unhappy (Bran and Larry). Are there others? I'd like to get the ECU information down to engineering so we can scrutinize the files to see if there's a pattern. Please PM me your vin so I can check further.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
I'm aware of two customers who are unhappy (Bran and Larry). Are there others? I'd like to get the ECU information down to engineering so we can scrutinize the files to see if there's a pattern. Please PM me your vin so I can check further.
Arin you want my VIN? Sorry don’t know if you were talking to someone else