GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Does that standpoint really exist when buying used? Cuz to me it doesn’t. U dunno wtf the last guy did. U dunno how he treated the car. And qualifying for cpo status really isn’t hard or expensive either

in 8k miles (bought new aug2020) I’ve changed my oil 5 times. Already flushed the brakes and performed the lsd service too

not saying my car is pristine but I tracked it twice. And that’s my point. On paper my car fax would look like my car is an immaculate example of a 2020 autobahn GTI when in reality it’s been abused like a mother fucker
I think this is a fair point. After buying a used car, it's probably good to give it some time to see if any issues show up that could actually harm reliability if you push the car.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I think this is a fair point. After buying a used car, it's probably good to give it some time to see if any issues show up that could actually harm reliability if you push the car.
Thnx. IMO I always tell folks. Bought it used? Drop all the fluids. Give it at least 10k miles.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
RE: Turbo on Reddit – I spoke to the support team to get more info about the reddit post. This is the first failure we’ve seen. We replaced the turbo right away, without seeing it, no charge. When we got the turbo back, we disassembled and inspected. The turbine and compressor wheels were still contained. The bearing assembly showed signs of oil starvation which we believe caused the shaft to snap.

I would not run an engine with a low oil pressure issue. That may be related to why the turbo failed in the first place, based on what we’ve seen, and can and most likely will cause issues with the engine, bearings, etc. I think this needs a deeper dive to figure out why the engine is seeing low oil pressure in the first place.

Our team is happy to help and work with your dealers.

This might be a good indication, you'all might want to run a scan on your cars before doing this install to make sure you have nothing hiding prior to installing something that is going to put a lot of stress on your car shortly after. Just saying.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I bought my 2018 from a dealer with 11K miles on it, which came with the 72K People's Warranty. Going Stage 3 at that point would have been a hell of a gamble, one I wasn't willing to take.
I mean. Who could blame u if u did tho. It’s your property and if you’re cool with the risk then that’s that

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Thnx. IMO I always tell folks. Bought it used? Drop all the fluids. Give it at least 10k miles.

I at least did half of that before turning it up... to like a 4, only basic stage 1 😂

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I at least did half of that before turning it up... to like a 4, only basic stage 1 😂
Christ the ads are aggressive today. Damn

yeah bro but like. I didn’t buy u your car. I didn’t co-sign. I don’t pay for your insurance and you’re an adult

if one is cool with risks. Go for it. Cuz to me, cars are these expendable things. Motor blows? Guess the battery is gonna get disconnected and the car will disappear till the insurance covers it. It’s shitty but realistic to expect.

can’t mod without risks. Except maybe stock location and fmic intercoolers LOL

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
I don't see a practical difference between that and doing it via numbing the sensors--same result.
What you're suggesting, numbing the knock sensors, is very risky. It's not what we do.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
I think folks need to keep APR's target audience in mind here - the folks that want to be able to switch maps/fuels will likely go with Cobb or a flex option like United. Some folks have E85 around or may not travel with their car and can handle a tune that is hard to switch to regular gas.
Hey I am their target market because I want stage 2 or slightly more power and if they get this through CARB a legal ca tune. I also am in an area with e85 but also close enough to areas that don’t that I want to be able to switch between e85 and 91 octane. That is it. I need 2 maps.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I didn't steal any tunes. I simply asked a couple people who have read the tunes they paid for whether you mess with knock. One individual showed me that the knock factor, timing correction, and delay were altered. Another said "They completely change the KR tables. Everything. Amount of retard per knock event, threshold, everything." Obviously I'm not going to post "proof" in a public forum, nor would I "steal" a tune-- I have no interest in tuning my own car, much less others. But if you're adjusting the knock thresholds and timing correction, I don't see a practical difference between that and doing it via numbing the sensors--same result.

And again, we know everyone does this. I know UM did similar things on my ECU. I know EQT also adjusts the knock thresholds. You can't put a car on a leaderboard if you're using the same knock strategy as OEM.
I get u don’t see a difference bro but on other platforms, it’s definitely exclusive and considered two separate things. Why isn’t it on vw’s?

just trying to understand. I’ve always learned what and how the knock sensor works and how much timing to yank and for how long are just two very different things. Is there something that tied both systems together on vw’s?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
What you're suggesting, numbing the knock sensors, is very risky. It's not what we do.
How is it risky if done on very very low loads (idle). Say someone’s got crazy aggressive mounts. And we can expect fake knock. I don’t see how it would be very risky at all man.

very real question btw. I’m not being a bitch

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does that standpoint really exist when buying used? Cuz to me it doesn’t. U dunno wtf the last guy did. U dunno how he treated the car. And qualifying for cpo status really isn’t hard or expensive either

in 8k miles (bought new aug2020) I’ve changed my oil 5 times. Already flushed the brakes and performed the lsd service too

not saying my car is pristine but I tracked it twice. And that’s my point. On paper my car fax would look like my car is an immaculate example of a 2020 autobahn GTI when in reality it’s been abused like a mother fucker
A used car with 70K...what warranty does it have anyway? BTW, I get spending the time to make sure the car is sound etc. before modifying it/adding power. I got my car new, waited 2 mos/3K miles, then tuned it. If something major is going to happen, it's going to usually happen soon after delivery.

Your example is why I don't buy used cars that are popular to be modded and if I did, I'd be super careful. So many buy them, mod them, abuse them, then part them out and trade them in.