GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I should note, that price included replacing my factory downpipe, midpipe, fluids, new apr carbon inlet pipe, and vehicle to drive (comp'd).

I'm in San Diego, where even discounted rates are expensive. Space constraints (small garage), my admitted lack of knowledge on this platform, and it being my only vehicle at this time, justifies me paying a master tech to wrench and get it done right the first time. The owner of the dealership also loyally supports my business personally, so given an opportunity to support another family business is important.
where'd you go? I drive up to EMD auto in anaheim because they have given me the best rates so far in socal and I trust their work. the only other place I might consider is puremotorsports in SD but I have my thoughts on them that makes me choose EMD instead. the 80 mile drive is worth it.

*edit* saw you went to the dealer...yeah, not suprised at the cost.

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
where'd you go? I drive up to EMD auto in anaheim because they have given me the best rates so far in socal and I trust their work. the only other place I might consider is puremotorsports in SD but I have my thoughts on them that makes me choose EMD instead. the 80 mile drive is worth it.

Either them or Kormordiv too. On the SoCal FB group there’s some people up in LA who have their own shop that’s been rated well too.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Matt's A plus car care, metro autosport are good shops. I've used both previously.

It's a bit further out but Pacific German does good work and has an ODIS connection if you need dealer coding without the mark up.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have a connection to the owner if the dealership, so my labor rate is on par with Pure. Install/flash time is around 8 hours. I think I was quoted around 10 hours for IS38 at Pure. I actually think it would've cost me around $5-600 more had I gone that route.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
I have a connection to the owner if the dealership, so my labor rate is on par with Pure. Install/flash time is around 8 hours. I think I was quoted around 10 hours for IS38 at Pure. I actually think it would've cost me around $5-600 more had I gone that route.
Interesting. I called EMD and they quoted me around 700 for a turbo install. Unfortunate thing is they're not an authorized APR dealer so you'd have to flash elsewhere. Do apr dealers charge labor for flash installs usually?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Interesting. I called EMD and they quoted me around 700 for a turbo install. Unfortunate thing is they're not an authorized APR dealer so you'd have to flash elsewhere. Do apr dealers charge labor for flash installs usually?
Metric and Auto Union in OC are APR dealers, and do great work. Metric hasn’t hit me back yet regarding install cost

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I know Pure does. I imagine there's discretion though, whether you purchase from the people doing the install. They may charge for it, they may not, because it takes time.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Kind of an interesting development. One of the independent tuning shops I use in OC wouldn’t quote me (over email) the purchase and/or install of the kit since it wasn’t yet CARB approved.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Question for Arin.

I had the DTR DSG flash done and, in manual mode with sport selected, it auto upshifts around ~6800 from 1st to 2nd gear. REALLY throwing me off when I click my paddle to 1-2 shift and end up doing a 2-3 shift and bogging it. Is this a new feature or a bug? When I was stage 2 with the accompanying dsg tune, I never experienced this.

Please advise.

ChristopherNeil

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Why not just let it shift? You want it to wind out anyways.
If I want it to shift without my input, I leave it in auto. When I push the shifter to manual (to use the paddle shifters) and the car is shifting for me without my input, I see that as an obstacle, not a convenience.