GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
@Arin@APR How is the calibration install handled? Can I have someone else install the turbo and then drive to an APR dealer for a free calibration install or do I have to have this installed at an APR dealer?

The calibration file is included, whether the dealer charges for the software flash would likely depend on the circumstances of the purchase.

Purchase the kit from a competitor and you will most like pay the local APR dealer labor for the flash. Purchase the kit from the same local dealer and they would more likely do the flash for free.

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
That’s perfect. Hope this is the case.
Getting the EOs is a huge bottleneck. A dirty little secret is that APR does not have CARB EO’s for many GTI model years such as my 2018 MY. Of course you only need to smog check when selling the car if it is over 4years old. Or 8 years total. Not so much a problem with a stage 1 tune, as you can flash back.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Which is a bunch of bullshit. Cars with that much hp that race don't use cats. Like I said, NHRA and NASCAR cars don't use cats at all and there's a reason for that.
Exhaust style changes that a ton too. Both NASCAR and nhra have fairly short exhaust, if they put cats on them they would melt either from the fuel and if not the fuel it would be the fire the fuel causes

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Getting the EOs is a huge bottleneck. A dirty little secret is that APR does not have CARB EO’s for many GTI model years such as my 2018 MY. Of course you only need to smog check when selling the car if it is over 4years old. Or 8 years total. Not so much a problem with a stage 1 tune, as you can flash back.
. The price is great, but The EO would be the basis for my purchase decision for this turbo/ tune assuming there are no reliability issues.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Let me know if you have any more questions! Looks like most everything was answered over the weekend.
Probably a dumb question knowing how you guys are now emissions compliant, but are test pipe files available? I am having this kit in installed a few weeks and I don't want a CEL because of a DP on my “racecar”.

Last edited:

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
You can use a cat for quite more than that, it's just more expensive in terms of space and the converters themselves. Very, very few people are street-driving the kind of car that can't use a cat.

The difference is so marginal on modern converters that the only time they matter for performance is pushing records or actual racing--and in the case of WRC the rules require everyone to use them anyway.
300 hp limit...

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Probably a dumb question knowing how you guys are now emissions compliant, but are test pipe files available? I am having this kit installed a few weeks and don't want a CEL with my APR DP on my “racecar”.
We don't. We do not support use of a downpipe with this system. The software is designed for use with the stock downpipe.

sirnerdington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI S w/DSG
@Arin@APR Apologies if you've answered this in other threads, but how is the software tune handled? Specifically, I live about 90+ minutes away from any APR dealers/distributors, so when I buy the turbo I'll have to schedule a time with a shop in advance so I can transport my car there. Is there a voucher that is included with the turbo that can be redeemed, or how is that handled?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
@Arin@APR Apologies if you've answered this in other threads, but how is the software tune handled? Specifically, I live about 90+ minutes away from any APR dealers/distributors, so when I buy the turbo I'll have to schedule a time with a shop in advance so I can transport my car there. Is there a voucher that is included with the turbo that can be redeemed, or how is that handled?
There is a voucher in the box that you will take to your APR dealer to install the software. You can either install the turbo yourself and just take it easy on the ride to your dealer or install software and take it easy on your ride home from getting flashed. As long as you stay out of boost the best you can the car will run just fine going with either option.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Which is a bunch of bullshit. Cars with that much hp that race don't use cats. Like I said, NHRA and NASCAR cars don't use cats at all and there's a reason for that.
You're missing the point there. GESi cats are offered for cars that need to be in compliance, not for race cars. Race cars, are sanctioned by the rules of the association they compete in. All "supercars" have to have cats to be sold in the US, and with the continue push towards "green" they will need to be able to accommodate vehicles with more power. The higher the HP rating, the better the flow, because there is more surface area. In GESi, the new Gen 2 are 400 CPSI, which is slightly more restrictive than their Gen 1 300 CPSI, both at 4" OD. The 850 rated is 4.5" OD, which would give you the same or close to the flow of the 300 CPSI. If I was building a downpipe for a 550 whp car I would use a cat that would be rated at least to 850hp. using a 550hp cat would hinder the performance.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The EPA has been aggressively changing rules as of late, and their roadmap is constantly moving towards a more strict interpretation. The catalyst is one of those areas where they are the most strict. Typically if a catalyst product fits any vehicle under the factory emissions warranty, and not just your own vehicle, which I believe is 8 years, then the system is not able to get an executive order. Our goal is to be the most compliant group in the performance aftermarket across our 50+ brands, and we've made heavy investments into this area. All of our new products on the go forward will be emissions tested in house. I fully understand this is not what every enthusiast wants, but that's where we stand.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
I see the APR graph has power levels for race gas. What about E30? Any advantages or issues doing that with this tune?