GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I'm still skeptical - your car is big power/race car basically. If you had a high-flow/high-quality race cat I bet thet difference is marginal. I believe the WRC guys all run cats on the rally cars.
The difference is it will eventually melt and cause issues on cars with big power that race. WRC, as scrllock pointed out, are required to have them but NHRA and NASCAR don't use them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The difference is it will eventually melt and cause issues on cars with big power that race. WRC, as scrllock pointed out, are required to have them but NHRA and NASCAR don't use them.
I thought about that after I typed this - melting issues with all that power/heat?

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Stupid question, so forgive my ignorance. Is a tune like APR's with this turbo pulling data from the o2 sensor? I already have a Bull-X downpipe and like the sound and perceived responsiveness and power. I'm using a spacer and have no issues with CELs. I can always switch back to stock, more curious than anything else.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
You can flash back to stock even with MPI. Just don't WOT the car. ;) Your car will be in VW "dyno" mode. Haha. Cheating emissions testing is in our cars' DNA. ;)
I thought I remember reading these cars won't even start on stock map with the upgraded sensors? Oh well, easy enough to change back to the stock MAP and PUTs though if that's the case. I'll be back on stock DP when the comes as well.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I thought I remember reading these cars won't even start on stock map with the upgraded sensors? Oh well, easy enough to change back to the stock MAP and PUTs though if that's the case. I'll be back on stock DP when the comes as well.
You'll have to put the stock PUT and MAP back in, but MPI will be a non-issue.

Reactions: MSH

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
They make cats for up to 1,200hp per bank.

I’m planning to offer the 850hp GESI Gen2, but 500hp rated standard.
Which is a bunch of bullshit. Cars with that much hp that race don't use cats. Like I said, NHRA and NASCAR cars don't use cats at all and there's a reason for that.

Last edited:

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
@Arin@APR How is the calibration install handled? Can I have someone else install the turbo and then drive to an APR dealer for a free calibration install or do I have to have this installed at an APR dealer?

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
@Arin@APR How is the calibration install handled? Can I have someone else install the turbo and then drive to an APR dealer for a free calibration install or do I have to have this installed at an APR dealer?
You can do that or have the software installed first. You would of course have to basically stay out of boost for your drive either to the APR dealer or your turbo installer. It’s probably not going to be recommended by APR but it certainly can be done. Just have to use common sense and be safe and take it easy. This should only be done if either of those options are going to be done asap. You do not want to drive around with the turbo or turbo software before the proper items are installed or flashed if that makes sense.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
You can do that or have the software installed first. You would of course have to basically stay out of boost for your drive either to the APR dealer or your turbo installer. It’s probably not going to be recommended by APR but it certainly can be done. Just have to use common sense and be safe and take it easy. This should only be done if either of those options are going to be done asap. You do not want to drive around with the turbo or turbo software before the proper items are installed or flashed if that makes sense.

Thanks. Just curious as I've heard some dealers charge their own fee to flash the calibration and not sure if APR themselves wants to ensure a dealer does the work too.

branman1

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI 2021 GLI
Thanks. Just curious as I've heard some dealers charge their own fee to flash the calibration and not sure if APR themselves wants to ensure a dealer does the work too.
Nope you can do it yourself! They include a code that the APR dealer enters to install the software.