GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
My catted MAP downpipe keeps pollution at bay fine, thank you very much. Perhaps not well enough for politicians in California but I'm fortunate to live on the other side of the continent.
Probably is fine for Virginia as the population density is very low compared to something like Los Angeles county. Virginia is about 42K square miles and has a population of around 8 million in the whole state. Los Angeles County has 10 million people in an area of under 5K sq miles. Even in California we have counties that have low population density that are exempt from emissions checks.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Probably is fine for Virginia as the population density is very low compared to something like Los Angeles county. Virginia is about 42K square miles and has a population of around 8 million in the whole state. Los Angeles County has 10 million people in an area of under 5K sq miles. Even in California we have counties that have low population density that are exempt from emissions checks.

I'm glad someone understands nuances like population density. Its frustrating when people in low population density areas complain about federal laws that help densely populated areas. Do people in sparsely populated areas want the people in densely populated areas to suffer? Or do you want those people moving in to your sparsely populated area? Let's think outside our bubbles.

There is nothing wrong with stricter regulations if it drives innovation and evolution, and doesn't actually hurt anyone.

If you live in any of these states, please don't complain about shit California does.
1647619755515.png

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The northern part of VA has emissions testing BTW b/c of.....pop density. Down in the Richmond area where I am, we don't. I run a catted DP anyway b/c IMHO catless is silly when it doesn't give any more power to mention over a high-flow cat. Having some emissions control isn't a bad thing,.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The northern part of VA has emissions testing BTW b/c of.....pop density. Down in the Richmond area where I am, we don't. I run a catted DP anyway b/c IMHO catless is silly when it doesn't give any more power to mention over a high-flow cat. Having some emissions control isn't a bad thing,.
Well, catless does matter when you actually start making some power.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Not that many 584 WHP MK7s out there. Let's say if you're under 400 WHP, catless is just being irresponsible.

I think APR is doing a great thing here by creating a potentially CARB approved product and letting people have fun with their cars.
Anything under 500 whp you can use a cat and should.

Not knocking what APR is doing but they are only 1 company.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I'm glad someone understands nuances like population density. Its frustrating when people in low population density areas complain about federal laws that help densely populated areas. Do people in sparsely populated areas want the people in densely populated areas to suffer? Or do you want those people moving in to your sparsely populated area? Let's think outside our bubbles.

There is nothing wrong with stricter regulations if it drives innovation and evolution, and doesn't actually hurt anyone.

If you live in any of these states, please don't complain about shit California does.
View attachment 242921
Or maybe I’m just glad I don’t live in such a densely populated area ya know? Also, CARB is not a federal regulation, it’s a state regulation as it should be.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, catless does matter when you actually start making some power.
I'm still skeptical - your car is big power/race car basically. If you had a high-flow/high-quality race cat I bet thet difference is marginal. I believe the WRC guys all run cats on the rally cars.

Reactions: MSH

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Or maybe I’m just glad I don’t live in such a densely populated area ya know? Also, CARB is not a federal regulation, it’s a state regulation as it should be.
Yea, it's not but it seems to drive regulation in other states. When NY starts checking tunes, I'm gonna be sad for sure. It's going to cost me money to convert my car back to be compliant, but I won't be mad because I was doing something "illegal" this whole time. Gotta pay to play.

Reactions: MSH

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Anything under 500 whp you can use a cat and should.

Not knocking what APR is doing but they are only 1 company.
You can use a cat for quite more than that, it's just more expensive in terms of space and the converters themselves. Very, very few people are street-driving the kind of car that can't use a cat.

I'm still skeptical - your car is big power/race car basically. If you had a high-flow/high-quality race cat I bet thet difference is marginal. I believe the WRC guys all run cats on the rally cars.
The difference is so marginal on modern converters that the only time they matter for performance is pushing records or actual racing--and in the case of WRC the rules require everyone to use them anyway.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...Also, CARB is not a federal regulation, it’s a state regulation as it should be.
Seems like it will be soon at the rate things are going though. More and more states (including my own home state of Colorado) have adopted the CARB emissions standards.
I'm all for running a cat for a # of reasons and I agree that while they may cost you a few HPs these newer higher quality ones seem to flow pretty damn well. I paid the extra $400 on my custom 4" DP for one of the new Gen2 GESI HO G-sport ones.
I do have to say though I am a bit concerned with emissions coming up here next yr for my '16 R now that I've added MPI etc etc to mine. I guess we shall see here in about 12-13 months

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It still seems that there are so many work arounds for inspections with the more typical bolt-ons/OTS stuff. Flash to stock to get readiness, run an O2 spacer for the possible CEL on the aftermarket DP. Catted makes that easier b/c you can see/show the cat. Unless the state is super anal like CA where they look for the hardware/EPA certs on cats etc.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Seems like it will be soon at the rate things are going though. More and more states (including my own home state of Colorado) have adopted the CARB emissions standards.
I'm all for running a cat for a # of reasons and I agree that while they may cost you a few HPs these newer higher quality ones seem to flow pretty damn well. I paid the extra $400 on my custom 4" DP for one of the new Gen2 GESI HO G-sport ones.
I do have to say though I am a bit concerned with emissions coming up here next yr for my '16 R now that I've added MPI etc etc to mine. I guess we shall see here in about 12-13 months

You can flash back to stock even with MPI. Just don't WOT the car. ;) Your car will be in VW "dyno" mode. Haha. Cheating emissions testing is in our cars' DNA. ;)