GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Did you have an intercooler and used 93 octane gas?
In California we don't have 93, but it was a 91 octane tune. Didn't have an intercooler upgrade but it was pulling timing while doing pulls in 40 degree weather. Intake temps were nowhere near problematic territory. There should be a thread or posts I made on it somewhere with lots, but it came down to no one knowing what to do and just telling me to run e85 blend and deal with it. I went back to stock cause I didn't want to have to go mix gas everytime I fill my tank.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
In California we don't have 93, but it was a 91 octane tune. Didn't have an intercooler upgrade but it was pulling timing while doing pulls in 40 degree weather. Intake temps were nowhere near problematic territory. There should be a thread or posts I made on it somewhere with lots, but it came down to no one knowing what to do and just telling me to run e85 blend and deal with it. I went back to stock cause I didn't want to have to go mix gas everytime I fill my tank.
I'm in SD – car runs fine with 91 octane tune. Fwd tune feels sluggish because of boost by gear (I was actually disappointed in the beginning), but I went back and flashed the awd tune and put my DP back on. All I can say is it breathes a little better now. I have no logs of temps/afr/etc, but it goes fast when I need it to - so far, reliably.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
For the record on track, an IS20 tuned car with intercooler is faster down the back straight at VIR (approx 45mph to 130) than an IS38 tuned car and stock IC.

Running an even bigger turbo I don't doubt is faster than stock, but in warmer temps you're likely getting robbed of 30-50hp at times.
IS38 on a stock IC in these temps? That guy should learn a few things about turbo charged cars...I agree, on top of more lag he was easily making less power than you.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
IS38 on a stock IC in these temps? That guy should learn a few things about turbo charged cars...I agree, on top of more lag he was easily making less power than you.

Well yeah. But the point was dude above is putting an even bigger turbo on stock IC and expects it to not suck.

I've been gathering a ton of cooling data (see "ironicbadger" entries with stock vs IE V2 IC) here FWIW:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mbo-data-collection-spreadsheet-added.425356/

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
All depends on untended use. I'm on APR OE DP IS38 file on factory IC in central Florida. For general street use doing a short pull here or there, it's still in a different league from Stage 1 even with the 90+F temps we've been seeing. Pulls like a freight train. Towards the end of a 2nd-5th gear pull on an open on-ramp to Mexico, sure...it starts to trail off. But for your day to day street use, it's fine. APR puts it perfectly in their website: For **consistent** performance (repeated or longer pulls)...an IC is recommended.

Bottom line is if you're doing track days or constantly doing pulls...do an upgraded IC.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I have APR's DTR on my Mk7.5 R with an upgraded intercooler. It was close to 90 degrees in NYC today. I came from bone stock a few weeks ago, and was bone stock since August of last year. Upgraded intercooler is a necessity when adding additional power, whether it's track days, pull after pull, or even going to the grocery store and back. Imo, running an upgraded turbo + tune on a stock intercooler is like putting on two N95 masks and going for a jog on a warm day.

Another former R owner had the DTR + upgraded fueling on a stock intercooler and he felt like his car was sluggish. Your car won't trail off with an upgraded intercooler. You'll be able to sustain that power practically every time.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
All depends on untended use. I'm on APR OE DP IS38 file on factory IC in central Florida. For general street use doing a short pull here or there, it's still in a different league from Stage 1 even with the 90+F temps we've been seeing. Pulls like a freight train. Towards the end of a 2nd-5th gear pull on an open on-ramp to Mexico, sure...it starts to trail off. But for your day to day street use, it's fine. APR puts it perfectly in their website: For **consistent** performance (repeated or longer pulls)...an IC is recommended.

Bottom line is if you're doing track days or constantly doing pulls...do an upgraded IC.
🤦‍♂️

You're losing so much power without an aftermarket IC, and those high IATs are will increase the chance for detonation. Why would you upgrade to an IS38 without upgrading the IC? Of course its more power than a stage 1 GTI, I mean....I hope so, but at least throw a cheap ebay IC in there to keep your IATs in check. Do you know what your IATs are wot? Oh...you're running APR...

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
I had a reply typed up last night but decided to delete it as it came off a bit harsh. @Covelight and @PerceivedShift summed it up.

To add:
I see higher IATs in traffic than on track. If anything track driving is about as ideal a condition as it can get for an intercooler: constant airflow, with a chance to "rest" or shed heat in the corners.

Things are FAR worse just driving around on the street. Constant part-throttle allowing heat to build under hood without a constant rush of air through the IC to drop IATs, sitting and idling in city driving allowing more heat to build, etc.

That said, the stock IC is very good at shedding a fair amount of heat quickly. It goes from really awful to just mildly awful before it plateaus. 🤣

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So it seems an upgraded IC would be beneficial regardless. I'm going to have my front bumper off for some maintenance soon, so I figure now is the time to do it. Probably go with the Majesty/Magic intercooler since it's the cheapest and seems to be good quality. Id love an FMIC/Twintercooler for the looks but everything I read says just do the direct fit.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So it seems an upgraded IC would be beneficial regardless. I'm going to have my front bumper off for some maintenance soon, so I figure now is the time to do it. Probably go with the Majesty/Magic intercooler since it's the cheapest and seems to be good quality. Id love an FMIC/Twintercooler for the looks but everything I read says just do the direct fit.
Get a Mishimoto if you are planning to keep the car.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

stock ic = IATs go up during pull
aftermarket ic = IATs go down during pull

even during the first pull it's making a difference

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Stage 1 should be tune+IC. I'll contend this until the day I die.

out-of-line-anthony-mackie.gif