GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
Question: can I run ethanol with an MPI and RS3 LPFP?
I already have the DTR6054 installed, APR stage 3, catted downpipe and stage 2 Southbend clutch. Thanks

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So this is 1500 bucks for everything I need on my GTI. If I keep the stock downpipe what kind of power am I looking at, and will I have any issues with how the car runs?

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Haha another SD MK7!!!

You're looking at a reliable 400 hp at the wheels with nothing to really worry about. They did mention they expect to have flash at home by the year's end.

It still doesn't have CARB certification, which is why I haven't got it myself, but after driving another member's car, the DTR is 100% on my bucket list after I graduate. I'll probably go for the full send tune to upgrade from APR Stage 1.

Another user has a whole YT dedicated to his DTR car. Pretty impressive kills.

https://www.youtube.com/@CarbonDub

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
So this is 1500 bucks for everything I need on my GTI. If I keep the stock downpipe what kind of power am I looking at, and will I have any issues with how the car runs?
You absolutely need an intercooler. Also recommend upgrading the mounts, wheel hop is a bitch with the extra power. I’ve had mine on for about 7500 miles. Waiting for flash at home to give the AWD file a shot, not interested in traveling back and forth and paying shop fees to try it out for a bit. Would also need to flash back to FWD for when the winters go on.

If you have an open intake, be prepared for it to whistle like a diesel truck.

GRM

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
15/GTI MT 23/GTI DSG
You absolutely need an intercooler. Also recommend upgrading the mounts, wheel hop is a bitch with the extra power. I’ve had mine on for about 7500 miles. Waiting for flash at home to give the AWD file a shot, not interested in traveling back and forth and paying shop fees to try it out for a bit. Would also need to flash back to FWD for when the winters go on.

If you have an open intake, be prepared for it to whistle like a diesel truck.
I've had this installed months ago, no intercooler and it runs perfectly. Not once I've seen the oil temp going above 220 and water above 205.

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I've had this installed months ago, no intercooler and it runs perfectly. Not once I've seen the oil temp going above 220 and water above 205.

The APR tune is designed for an upgraded intercooler and it will function with OEM IC, just not as well as APR intended. Aftermarket IC will reduce the temperature delta between intake charge and ambient. Cooler intake charge temps let the tune run more timing and thus power than the OEM IC can support.

Secondarily you'll also get less delta P across the intercooler which I'd guess would positivley affect wastegate duty cycle meaning the turbo could hit target boost with less work...but I'm not a tuner, I just have thermo cycle simulation experience.

My gut says oil temps should be pretty weakly coupled to IC performance. That's all I got. Others on here would know a lot more than I do

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Your perception is that it’s running perfectly. If you logged it, I don’t doubt that even on a single pull your charge air temps are going high enough that the tune is pulling power esp if Apr was conservative with the pull.

That $10k question… get an IC you’ll be very surprised with the seat of pants results alone.

Last edited:

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Yeah, intercooler doesn’t affect either of those. Intercooler affects your IAT, the hotter that air, the less likely it is you get the requested boost target. An intercooler helps even the stock tune reach target b/c you’re not getting heat soaked.

Before you go and dump a bunch of money into a bigger turbo, upgrade your intercooler and send it.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
So when I had my GTI stage 2, I had to run 2 gallons per tank of e85 just to keep the damn thing from knocking and pulling timing drastically. Ended up going back to stock. With this setup would I be in the same situation? 1500 for all this including a tune is a great price.

Furthermore, how is the stock downpipe too restrictive for stage 2 on the stock turbo but it will work with this setup just fine?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
So when I had my GTI stage 2, I had to run 2 gallons per tank of e85 just to keep the damn thing from knocking and pulling timing drastically. Ended up going back to stock. With this setup would I be in the same situation?
that isn't a normal situation to begin with...

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
1500 for all this including a tune is a great price.

Furthermore, how is the stock downpipe too restrictive for stage 2 on the stock turbo but it will work with this setup just fine?
This is where the modern wave of calling things “stages” with oem forced induction cars get screwy cause typically stage 1 means tuned utilizing/maximizing stock hardware pretty much across platforms that adopted the whole school of “stages” and stage 2 gets associated with dumping the restrictive stock cat/cats, so that you can get that little extra effort out of your stock hardware (turbo) stage 3 starts to also get pretty wide ranged from my opinion cause typically it’s associated with upgrading your turbo but for me I think when you started getting into extensive fueling mods and adders like meth or even a power adder like nitrous you can assume a car as “stage 3”. Then there’s the case of calling a GTI a stage 3 car if they put on a oem golf r turbo (is38) so if that’s a stage 3 then does a bigger non oem turbo mean it’s a stage 4… and if that bigger turbo is using meth to cool the charge is that a 5, and if they are using nitrous you aid in spool up is that now a 6, lol.

My take is to just disassociate the “stages “ unless it’s for describing xyz brands name of their remapping. And in that case the dtr is like a stage 1 map with a stage 3 (selective) hardware package 🤷🏼‍♂️.

We all love to hate APR here but if you got a stock car and gonna run pump gas the dtr + tune + IC really is a great setup for fun and a extremely great smiles to dollar ratio.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I think I might order this for the GTI on my way to purchase an awd prius

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
This is where the modern wave of calling things “stages” with oem forced induction cars get screwy cause typically stage 1 means tuned utilizing/maximizing stock hardware pretty much across platforms that adopted the whole school of “stages” and stage 2 gets associated with dumping the restrictive stock cat/cats, so that you can get that little extra effort out of your stock hardware (turbo) stage 3 starts to also get pretty wide ranged from my opinion cause typically it’s associated with upgrading your turbo but for me I think when you started getting into extensive fueling mods and adders like meth or even a power adder like nitrous you can assume a car as “stage 3”. Then there’s the case of calling a GTI a stage 3 car if they put on a oem golf r turbo (is38) so if that’s a stage 3 then does a bigger non oem turbo mean it’s a stage 4… and if that bigger turbo is using meth to cool the charge is that a 5, and if they are using nitrous you aid in spool up is that now a 6, lol.

My take is to just disassociate the “stages “ unless it’s for describing xyz brands name of their remapping. And in that case the dtr is like a stage 1 map with a stage 3 (selective) hardware package 🤷🏼‍♂️.

We all love to hate APR here but if you got a stock car and gonna run pump gas the dtr + tune + IC really is a great setup for fun and a extremely great smiles to dollar ratio.
While I agree with your sentiments regarding the stage naming, that wasn't really the point of my thing. And I also am not trying to hate on APR. I was just asking if my car will see issues running this setup as it ran horrible with a smaller turbo and a tune. I guess I just didn't understand how this 400+hp setup could run on stock hardware if my little 300hp setup pulled huge timing

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
While I agree with your sentiments regarding the stage naming, that wasn't really the point of my thing. And I also am not trying to hate on APR. I was just asking if my car will see issues running this setup as it ran horrible with a smaller turbo and a tune. I guess I just didn't understand how this 400+hp setup could run on stock hardware if my little 300hp setup pulled huge timing
Did you have an intercooler and used 93 octane gas?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
For the record on track, an IS20 tuned car with intercooler is faster down the back straight at VIR (approx 45mph to 130) than an IS38 tuned car and stock IC.

Running an even bigger turbo I don't doubt is faster than stock, but in warmer temps you're likely getting robbed of 30-50hp at times.