GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone trade their mk7 for something more comfortable?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
My next vehicle is going to be more comfortable.
I love my GTI, I've had it since 2015 - at least twice as long as I've had any other car.
Before the MK7, I had a MK6 for about three years.
Now, since I don't care much for the MK8 - when I get rid of this car I'm moving on to something that can handle broken pavement, steep driveways and road transitions, and some gravel roads that lead into a couple of parks that I like but which I avoid with the GTI.
I'm looking at a Mazda CX-50.
I drove one just the other week, and there was little adjustment from the GTI.
Excellent steering, all of the controls were essentially where they are in the GTI.

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
My next vehicle is going to be more comfortable.
I love my GTI, I've had it since 2015 - at least twice as long as I've had any other car.
Before the MK7, I had a MK6 for about three years.
Now, since I don't care much for the MK8 - when I get rid of this car I'm moving on to something that can handle broken pavement, steep driveways and road transitions, and some gravel roads that lead into a couple of parks that I like but which I avoid with the GTI.
I'm looking at a Mazda CX-50.
I drove one just the other week, and there was little adjustment from the GTI.
Excellent steering, all of the controls were essentially where they are in the GTI.
Sounds like we're on the same boat. How was the suspension/ride comfort of the CX-50? I like that one as well if I were to go automatic.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Sounds like we're on the same boat. How was the suspension/ride comfort of the CX-50? I like that one as well if I were to go automatic.
I liked it a lot.
It's firm for an SUV, I know not everyone wants that.
But coming from the GTI, it's exactly what I want.
It's enough to take the rough edges off of the GTI - the need to navigate around every manhole cover, the shallowest of potholes or pavement irregularities...
Without feeling like a wallowing and disconnected appliance.
I like the idea of a vehicle more capable of handling adverse conditions too, in our increasingly unstable environment - be it weather, violent street protesters etc. LOL

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
I find the idea of a stock GTI being harsh odd. I run 18” wheels and Michelin AS4 tires, am far from young and find the ride pleasant. The only issues are on sharp bumps.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I find the idea of a stock GTI being harsh odd. I run 18” wheels and Michelin AS4 tires, am far from young and find the ride pleasant. The only issues are on sharp bumps.
To be honest, it isn't the ride.
I like a firm ride, and don't find the ride uncomfortable at all. I wouldn't be in GTI's for so long if I did.
It's the impacts, the sounds they make (coupled with interior sounds) and the need to avoid minor imperfections because of it.
With the stereo on none of it bothers me.
But I know it's bad for the vehicle to go over things that my son's Mazda 3, and wife's Acura TLX roll right over.

ECNMY R

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
R, RS3, GTS 4.0
Yes, when I put KWs on it and made it feel like a car worth twice as much

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Do you set the pressures according to the outside temps when the seasons change?
I have a question about this. I get that your tire pressure goes down with colder temps. But once you get on the highway and drive for, say, an hour -- aren't your tire temps almost solely defined by the heat from friction on the road? Does the air temp even matter at that point? So if you add 4 PSI cold because the ambient temps dropped, then aren't your tires overinflated when they get up to temp on the road?

Last edited:

sjnbgti

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, at your own risk, lower the tire pressures by 2 PSI. Do you set the pressures according to the outside temps when the seasons change?
I set my tire pressure according to a chart I found on this forum a while ago. It's based on size and load rating. If I were to go by the door jam sticker it would be terrible. I do not change them based on weather though, I might look into that.
Yes, when I put KWs on it and made it feel like a car worth twice as much
Which KW's do you have? I've read the street comforts are great but hard to cough up 2k at the moment.
76 years young here and the GTI gives me a great ride and the handling is great also.
All OEM and this is my favorite GTI so far. No plans to sell it for a MK8.5.
On smooth roads its perfectly fine but on a few freeway sharp bumps I'm almost out of my seat.

Also forgot to mention I don't have DCC, which I hear can make a difference.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Get Koni Special Actives. Stock shocks have too much rebound (esp the rear) and not enough compression. The Koni SAs are SO much better than OEM in every single way. I'm sure it's probably hard to believe, but you have to try them. Paired with stock springs they are amazing.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...koni-special-actives-with-oem-springs.412313/
These sound really cool, and sound like they'd be the thing to reduce those short harsh impacts.
If I was planning to hold onto my car longer than I am, I might give these a go.