GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone know what’s involved in VW CPO inspection?

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
I will be buying out my lease and having gone back and forth between the credit union and VW, it makes sense to buy through VW and get the 2yr/24k warranty for about the same price. I have to take the car in to get “certified” next week.

My question is does anybody know what they’re actually inspecting? I’m going to take my JB4 off beforehand but really don’t feel like swapping my intercooler (fmic) if I don’t have to. Seems like they mostly check stuff that gets inspected at state inspection from talking to sales guy.

If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in. Thanks

otbiker57

Car(s)
17 GTI
Absolutely no aftermarket parts. Recently bought a 17 GTI with 20k miles and no warranty left. Dealer had to remove the aftermarket wheels and springs to CPO it, which they did...

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Absolutely no aftermarket parts. Recently bought a 17 GTI with 20k miles and no warranty left. Dealer had to remove the aftermarket wheels and springs to CPO it, which they did...
Did they replace the struts?

To the OP: Depending on the dealership I'd bet there is a -strong- chance they inspect almost nothing and don't even see the FMIC. There are numerous stories on here of people getting certified cars that are still tuned. People bring them in for service to find they've been flagged TD1.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
I don’t see them certifying it with anything aftermarket let alone an IC. Banks are fighting for business right now though so they may push it through if it means getting your business. Don’t pass on the FCU option before taking it in.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie

Argh bummer

Did they replace the struts?

To the OP: Depending on the dealership I'd bet there is a -strong- chance they inspect almost nothing and don't even see the FMIC. There are numerous stories on here of people getting certified cars that are still tuned. People bring them in for service to find they've been flagged TD1.
This is what i was kind of hoping but figured it is dealer dependent to some degree.
I don’t see them certifying it with anything aftermarket let alone an IC. Banks are fighting for business right now though so they may push it through if it means getting your business. Don’t pass on the FCU option before taking it in.
If there’s some sort of issue with the IC, I’m just going to skip CPO and do FCU. Short sighted maybe, but the one thing I was going to take the car in for (window squealing) I ended up just fixing myself rather than pulling aftermarket stuff off anyway.

Thanks for the responses so far. Anyone else with first hand experience, I’m all ears

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Just an update, just went to dealer and spoke with sales guy and someone else in there who basically said visible stuff like that shouldn’t really matter since they’re selling the car to me and not some random person. I guess it depends on the dealer. I’m still going to remove jb4 but going to leave the intercooler for CPO inspection. I’ll update on Thursday when I’m scheduled for inspection/fill out paperwork.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
On the books? A bunch of stuff. I’m actuality? Nothing. Dealers don’t check cars before they CPO them. They just do it to slap that name on it to justify a higher price for a used car

cb1111

The dealer is taking a huge risk by CPO'ing any mods.

Let's assume that one of your mods damages something that would normally be covered under the CPO warranty. The dealer submits a warranty claim that is denied (correctly) by VW and the dealer is on the hook for the repair because they certified that the car met all the requirements of the CPO program.

The dealer, of course, will try to blame it on you and you'll have a big kerfuffle.

The sales guy and "some other guy" don't control what the dealer will do.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
The dealer is taking a huge risk by CPO'ing any mods.

Let's assume that one of your mods damages something that would normally be covered under the CPO warranty. The dealer submits a warranty claim that is denied (correctly) by VW and the dealer is on the hook for the repair because they certified that the car met all the requirements of the CPO program.

The dealer, of course, will try to blame it on you and you'll have a big kerfuffle.

The sales guy and "some other guy" don't control what the dealer will do.
I agree with you, if I was the dealer I wouldn’t.

Ultimately, I don’t have to have the warranty, just want it if I can get it to feel like I got a better deal lol. I still have about 13k miles of power train left anyway. So if they certify it, cool. If not, I’ll just buy it without extended warranty.

To be honest, my bigger concern is paying $130 for the “inspection” (gets applied to purchase price if approved) for them to tell me that they can’t certify it.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
My CPO has the DV spacer. Pretty easy to tell it wasn’t stock. Crap shoot honestly. Lots of dealers fub it anyways

cb1111

Full CPO procedure: Lot boy comes out to your car, kicks LR tire, opens hood and twangs the fan belt, then checks 156 boxes on a form on his clipboard, and boom - CERTIFIED!
That is completely and totally incorrect.

The lot boy kicks the Right Front tire and checks to see if there is an engine installed....

In all seriousness though, the inspections are getting a bit more accurate as VW was getting tired of paying for stuff that failed shortly after certification.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
^^^^what they said, and I'll repeat what I said in an earlier thread. Make sales & service like you, talk to them and bring them good donuts (aka NOT Dunkin). The $20 spent on 2 dozen will prob be money well spent.

Mud