GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone know what’s involved in VW CPO inspection?

Frank Reynolds

Go Kart Newbie
I bought my car CPO and it was the second CPO VW I've purchased. They check off boxes and don't seem to give a crap in my opinion. My windshield was pitted so badly and if I recall that was on the list. I ended up getting them to replace it as a "goodwill" gesture.

My other CPO car was a little different to where they gave me a receipt saying the 40k service had been performed as part of the recon prior to my purchase. I specifically requested this as it was a $400ish service at the time and the car was at 39k or so. Turns out at 60k the original spark plugs and air filter were still in there, who knows what else?

So, they have a list of what they inspect you can find it online probably. Whether they really do it or not is up to the tech.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I bought a CPO mk7 gti that I found out was stillAPR tuned, was once pretty much FBO, and (wait for it) had been completely totalled with all airbags deployed and fixed under the table with no report. So, CPO means very little besides a tech glancing at things and checking boxes

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
What's involved? Lies and corruption. CPO=Critical Points Overlooked.

Hey Mud, Dunkin ain't THAT bad. I should know ;).

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
What dealership are you bringing your car to? Please tell me not to Joe Heidt or Lash.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the replies everybody.
What dealership are you bringing your car to? Please tell me not to Joe Heidt or Lash.
I’m not using either of these dealers although the car originally came from Joe Heidt. Any particular gripe with them?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
At the risk of turning this into a donut thread (is there a CPO donut?)......

DD works in a pinch but there is a mom and pop place that just opened up in town. Lickin' Good Donuts. And it certainly lives up to it's name, especially the apple fritters. Heaven. Given the choice, I'd throw rocks at Dunkin 😁.

And doing pretty well, thanks. Folks around these parts are VERY supportive.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I bought a CPO mk7 gti that I found out was stillAPR tuned, was once pretty much FBO, and (wait for it) had been completely totalled with all airbags deployed and fixed under the table with no report. So, CPO means very little besides a tech glancing at things and checking boxes

Jeezus

codypka

Go Kart Champion

please tell me they bought it back from you

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

There are numerous reports on VAG forums on how people found that their CPO vehicles were TD1 flagged in VW's database but your situation is worse.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Absolutely no aftermarket parts. Recently bought a 17 GTI with 20k miles and no warranty left. Dealer had to remove the aftermarket wheels and springs to CPO it, which they did...

Just picked up a '17 Sport CPO and it had aftermarket wheels on it and window tint. I had the dealership swap them back to OE wheels though because I didn't like them. However, it was certified with those items.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a story out there somewhere of someone buying a CPO car with like 50k on it that still had the shipping pucks installed...

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There are numerous reports on VAG forums on how people found that their CPO vehicles were TD1 flagged in VW's database but your situation is worse.
I ended up showing the dealer the original owner’s build thread in vwvortex, complete with admissions of totaling and fixing the car, and they bought it back and gave me a brand new car for what I paid for the used one. So I still came out ahead! Moral of the story- don’t show your license plate on a build thread...

@codypka

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I ended up showing the dealer the original owner’s build thread in vwvortex, complete with admissions of totaling and fixing the car, and they bought it back and gave me a brand new car for what I paid for the used one. So I still came out ahead! Moral of the story- don’t show your license plate on a build thread...

Dealer acted smart as the mistake was totally on them.

Interested in knowing what happened to the person who signed the CPO checklist :)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I’m not using either of these dealers although the car originally came from Joe Heidt. Any particular gripe with them?

Numerous reputable shops in both areas (NNJ and Westchester) cringe when you mention either. I think they're fine for basic things on everyday cars - I would hesitate to trust them for much more. If you're willing to take a drive (I'm in the 845 too ;)), Trend Motors is a great dealership to call home.