GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone added the rear seat USB charger ports from China?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've purchased tons of items from AliExpress. Always used a CC (never one tied to my bank account) and never had a fraudulent charge show up one of my cards. Obviously do what you're comfortable with but I don't think it's the case that any CC used on ALI is going to lead to issues.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Performance Tuning Parts

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000884249717.html

*edit* For $50 I just went ahead and bought a whole new kit from Widanfolly. Worst case is I have two full sets (assuming I get a new wiring harness) and can sell the second.

Could you post a picture of the back-side mounting clips on the Performance Tuning Parts unit? Is it the same as mine previously pictured?

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Could you post a picture of the back-side mounting clips on the Performance Tuning Parts unit? Is it the same as mine previously pictured?

Absolutely, with the exception of the middle post they look near identical.

IMG_4234.jpg

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
I have VW part numbers all over the USB ports as well as the cover itself. It also shipped in a OEM VW box similar to what I've received from E-ACCA

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Actually, they do look a little different to me (not quite as different as mine though). Take a close look at the orientation of the securing tab and the length of the mounting fingers.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Yep, correct, that was the middle post I was referring to. I looked at the actual socket it clips in to though and believe it should fit without issue.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
So I re-pinned the car-side connector (did not plug into 12V accessory yet) and still did not get power through the USB ports.

I did confirm +12V making it to the USB ports. Does the 12V accessory plug need to be connected? Couldn't easily figure out how to depin that side of the harness.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
Here's some photos of my harness. I haven't tested it so I don't know if it works, but it seems to be wired appropriately based on the pins / colors.

Attachments

• 20200723_103958.jpg
    20200723_103958.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 145
  • 20200723_104015.jpg
    20200723_104015.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 20200723_104025.jpg
    20200723_104025.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 20200723_104034.jpg
    20200723_104034.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200723_104042.jpg
    20200723_104042.jpg
    796.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 20200723_104050.jpg
    20200723_104050.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Lol, so I'm going to de-pin mine and make it look like yours because my harness was SUPER fucked if yours will worked.

My USB side connector needs to be flipped I have the middle wire of the 3 (redorange in yours) going to the 2nd port on the USB side.

Then my 5/12 wire was also needing to be flipped like I did on both connectors...

What a mess!

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
Here's some photos of my harness. I haven't tested it so I don't know if it works, but it seems to be wired appropriately based on the pins / colors.

HOLY FUCK YES! I love you!!

Your pinout is the correct pinout for the rear USB.

If anyone purchases from the vendor I did I will be posting the modifications but it required de-pinning ALL of the connectors and rewiring based on Technobrien's post.

Techobrien

Car(s)
M7 GTI DSG
W00t! Happy to help, gives me confidence that mine might work.
Also based on your images, it only seems like I might have to modify one of the tabs to fit in the manual e-brake center console. Gonna get the dremel out and will report back.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
W00t! Happy to help, gives me confidence that mine might work.
Also based on your images, it only seems like I might have to modify one of the tabs to fit in the manual e-brake center console. Gonna get the dremel out and will report back.

From looking at stuff I think there's a weird mis-match happening.

Your cabling and wires look closer to the OEM harness however the sheath/wrap around your cables does not. My harness was all red wires (odd for a vehicle IMO) but the wrap was more in line with the OEM fabric tape stuff you see everywhere else.

I did have the incorrect plug for the plug side and had to shave off one of the guide pins for it to fit.

The trim piece and the USB ports had VW logos and part numbers on them though so I suspect those are legitimate VW parts. The box it shipped in was also an OEM VW box.

I suspect I should have received your wiring harness with my trim and USB port.

TheMuffinMan

Go Kart Newbie
IMG_4240.JPG

So modifications for my harness were swapping the Red and Black wires on the USB side (black plug).

Original
  • Red
  • Black
Corrected
  • Black
  • Red
Then for the main harness it was (with the above picture being the corrected harness)

Original (Left Plug)
Corrected

Original (Right Plug)
Corrected