GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another case of peeling sunroof trim clearcoat

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
lol at people arguing about semantics even though the point was clear regardless.

Anyway I contacted the dealer today and they weren't too sure about what the outcome might be, so I am going to bring in the car and have someone inspect the damage. I expect they will claim the cause is something that breaks the warranty, but its worth a shot.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
lol at people arguing about semantics even though the point was clear regardless.

Anyway I contacted the dealer today and they weren't too sure about what the outcome might be, so I am going to bring in the car and have someone inspect the damage. I expect they will claim the cause is something that breaks the warranty, but its worth a shot.

Bring a picture of your car parked in your garage (just as proof, they might just ask you to email it to them), I'm not sure it will help your case, but it certainly won't hurt. I would also contact VWoA (even before going to the dealership) and explain to them what is going on and provide pictures. Depending on VWoA politics, they might send out a regional quality control technician to look the car over. That would be better than the dealership not describing the issue properly over email or phone to VWoA.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Bring a picture of your car parked in your garage (just as proof, they might just ask you to email it to them), I'm not sure it will help your case, but it certainly won't hurt. I would also contact VWoA (even before going to the dealership) and explain to them what is going on and provide pictures. Depending on VWoA politics, they might send out a regional quality control technician to look the car over. That would be better than the dealership not describing the issue properly over email or phone to VWoA.

Excellent advice. I have worked with VWoA before when I had to deal with the dealership messing up a job, and VWoA was 10x more helpful than the dealership ever was.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Excellent advice. I have worked with VWoA before when I had to deal with the dealership messing up a job, and VWoA was 10x more helpful than the dealership ever was.

That is my experience as well... unfortunately? Still not sure if all dealerships are terrible or not.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That is my experience as well... unfortunately? Still not sure if all dealerships are terrible or not.

I think its not that dealerships are necessarily terrible in and of themselves; its more of dealerships have a very different purpose than VWoA. Dealership's primary focus is selling cars, and the secondary focus is on selling services. Dealerships are very fast paced and all about quantity because that's where the money is. Because of this, repair/service jobs are often rushed and the service is not very great. Furthermore, warranty jobs seem to be at the bottom of the priority list for dealerships as they don't make any real money off of them.

On the other hand, VWoA is massive and has different divisions designed for different purposes. They aren't dealing with fast turnaround rates, they don't live to move quantity of product, and they generally have the resources and jurisdiction to handle things in a very different manner. Contacting VWoA usually results in getting someone who only deals with issues of a specific nature, and they are fully knowledgeable in what extents they can go to in order to make things right.

So personally I don't think dealerships are evil just because they are evil, rather the expectations we have of them (as far as service goes) is unfortunately not realistic when taking into account what their primary goal is; to make money. Its just a different environment with different goals and priorities, and this often ends up in rushed jobs and sub par customer service. This is not to say that all dealerships are like this, just the ones I have had to work with seem to function this way.

Despite me playing devil's advocate, I still wouldn't go to a dealer unless I absolutely had to ;)

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

Nice pun lolololol

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
And all this time, I thought this area was black tinted glass. :eek:
My car is an early 2015 model, and I only wax this panel on occasion - and that's usually with a spray wax - because I though it was glass with no clear coat.
Anyway, I took a closer look at mine and it appears intact.
The car garaged, but spends Monday - Friday sitting outside in a commuter parking lot.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I checked mine out last night and I can't seem to feel an edge. My fiance's golf had the same issue and they replaced the panel under her 3/36 coverage. I have a case open with VW now about mine. If they won't cover it I'm just going to wrap the entire roof in gloss black.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Got a call today from VW and they're offering to pay 75% of the repair costs to replace the panel. Waiting on a total cost from my service advisor and I'll post the invoice. Hope the body shop doesn't break my windshield like they did my fiance's car lol.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Got a call today from VW and they're offering to pay 75% of the repair costs to replace the panel. Waiting on a total cost from my service advisor and I'll post the invoice. Hope the body shop doesn't break my windshield like they did my fiance's car lol.

Good to hear!

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
hmm my 2015 was built in May of 2014 and I don’t have this issue. My car always has some kind of sealant or coating so not sure if this helped.

Will check again in the sun in the AM.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn

Looking forward to this so I can know whether to replace it or wrap it!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I just took the time to specifically wax this area and the entire panel the other day.
All looks well to me.

Skyhighatrist

Did you ever get the invoice by any chance? This is happening on my 2015 that's purchased cpo'd, I'd like to give contacting VWofA a shot.