GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another case of peeling sunroof trim clearcoat

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Today while detailing my car I noticed the clear coat is peeling away right along the top black trim before the sunroof starts. It is bad in this spot (drivers side), but there's a line across the whole panel of missing clear coat. I bought my car as a CPO a year ago and am curious if this could be covered by warranty, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

After searching, I found a few other threads where people had the same issue. The thing is those were on new cars and they were able to get it repaired pretty quick. If VW doesn't want to repair it, my options would be to get it repaired at a bodyshop or vinyl wrap it... I was planning to wrap the rear half of the roof along with the quarter panels so maybe I will just add this to the bill.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
That's not the clear coat but the adhesive under the trim. It happens on pretty much every model with the pano roof. I have a case open with customer care to replace mine.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
That's not the clear coat but the adhesive under the trim. It happens on pretty much every model with the pano roof. I have a case open with customer care to replace mine.

The thing is when I run my nail over it I can catch the edge of the layer and chip more off, so in this situation I am pretty sure it is the top layer of paint/clear that is coming off. I wish it was the adhesive underneath, that would be 100x easier to get them to replace.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The thing is when I run my nail over it I can catch the edge of the layer and chip more off, so in this situation I am pretty sure it is the top layer of paint/clear that is coming off. I wish it was the adhesive underneath, that would be 100x easier to get them to replace.

x2 on this

I'm not sure how you could see the adhesive UNDERNEATH failing/peeling anyways

dproeck

I just noticed the exact same thing on my 15 GTI. Car has been garage kept pretty much since new, so was surprised to see this.

Sub'd for more updates.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I just noticed the exact same thing on my 15 GTI. Car has been garage kept pretty much since new, so was surprised to see this.

Sub'd for more updates.

Same here. In other threads people blame it on improper care (failing to wax, leaving car out in the sun indefinitely, etc), but that sounds like a load of BS since this is happening in the exact same spot for all of us regardless of our car care patterns. Monday I will contact the dealer and see what they have to say, I will keep this thread updated till a solution is achieved.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
I have the same issue, and the dealer refused to cover it under CPO warranty

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’ve never had a VW (or any car) with a panoramic sunroof - not sure I’d want one, having read of owners experiences with creaks, rattles, leaks, wind noise, poor fitting sunshades/blinds, stress fractures in the panel between the sunroof and widescreen and now peeling of the top layer on this panel.

From what I’ve read in some of the discussion threads on sunroof issues, it seems the black frame surrounding the glass sunroof panel that the OP and others are having (or have had) problems with is made from plastic. I’m surprised that this is actually painted / clear coated, and not made from the same type of plastic that the shiny B pillar trims are made from - I don’t think these aren’t painted. I’ve not heard of any issues of peeling with the B pillar trims, only swirling, as it’s quite a ‘soft’ plastic material.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I have the same issue, and the dealer refused to cover it under CPO warranty

This is what I expect will happen. Regardless I will give it a shot, in the end I will probably end up wrapping it with the rest of the roof.

I’ve never had a VW (or any car) with a panoramic sunroof - not sure I’d want one, having read of owners experiences with creaks, rattles, leaks, wind noise, poor fitting sunshades/blinds, stress fractures in the panel between the sunroof and widescreen and now peeling of the top layer on this panel.

From what I’ve read in some of the discussion threads on sunroof issues, it seems the black frame surrounding the glass sunroof panel that the OP and others are having (or have had) problems with is made from plastic. I’m surprised that this is actually painted / clear coated, and not made from the same type of plastic that the shiny B pillar trims are made from - I don’t think these aren’t painted. I’ve not heard of any issues of peeling with the B pillar trims, only swirling, as it’s quite a ‘soft’ plastic material.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with my sunroof besides this. I do enjoy having the light coming through the sunroof, it makes the interior feel much more open. If I were to do it over I would probably get one without a sunroof and wrap the top black as I really like that look.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Peeling paint probably wouldn't be covered even under the basic warranty. And DEALERS don't deny warranty claims, only VW can do that.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Peeling paint probably wouldn't be covered even under the basic warranty. And DEALERS don't deny warranty claims, only VW can do that.

The VW new car warranty in the UK includes a 3 year paintwork warranty, and I would have thought the new car factory warranty on USA/Canadian VW’s would’ve included a similar provision;

Three-Year Paint warranty
All Volkswagen passenger cars are provided with a warranty for a period of 3 years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork.

The only preconditions are:
  • The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network as soon as it is discovered. This must of course be within the warranty period.
  • The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage, climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be determined by the member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network at the time of inspection.
However, as far as the OP’s peeling defect is concerned, I dare say that VW would maintain that this is is due to external influences (climatic or thermal) so not covered under the paintwork warranty!

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
This is what I expect will happen. Regardless I will give it a shot, in the end I will probably end up wrapping it with the rest of the roof.

Luckily I haven't had any issues with my sunroof besides this. I do enjoy having the light coming through the sunroof, it makes the interior feel much more open. If I were to do it over I would probably get one without a sunroof and wrap the top black as I really like that look.

This is also the only sunroof issue I’ve had, apart from the shade not retracting properly which is being covered by warranty. I’ll probably just wrap it as well

Semantics.
Also, didn’t hurt to give it a shot

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is also the only sunroof issue I’ve had, apart from the shade not retracting properly which is being covered by warranty. I’ll probably just wrap it as well

Semantics.
Also, didn’t hurt to give it a shot

That's like expecting Walmart to repair the Black & Decker coffee maker you bought 6 months ago.

Dealers need to submit all warranty claims with documentation to VW and receive authorization if they hope to be paid. Anything iffy they wait for approval.

Last edited:

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
That's like expecting Walmart to repair the Black & Decker coffee maker you bought 6 months ago.

Dealers need to submit all warranty claims with documentation to VW and receive authorization if they hope to be paid. Anything iffy they wait for approval.

I understand how it works. The dealer SAID it wouldn’t be covered. Better?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Sorry to see this. My black Autobahn was parked outdoors 24/7 the 2yrs I owned it and did not have this issue when I sold the car earlier this summer.

I washed the car frequently and applied polymer sealant often.. maybe it helped.