GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Turbo Options

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Do you realize those videos are intended for people who have little understanding of performance evaluation? You hurt your credibility by referring to them.

Again, I have owned a turbo from the company in question, so my issues alone allow me to comment on the company. I also had called MULTIPLE reputable VW/Audi shops that would not even install them because they had so many people come back on them when the turbos would start smoking, or had various other issues.

Posters here don’t have to believe me, but I feel my opinion may help someone.
Again, I completely wish you nothing but good luck with your turbo, it’s just not a purchase I personally would make again.

I appreciate all of your tests and work you do to help us all with various products.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Not to knock it's performance, or a knock to EQT full stop, but just facts here considering features it's mid tier as well. If it were ball bearing and not journal it'd cost $800+ more but then I'd consider it top tier in features, like a Zona/Garrett.

I think someone who knows should label each turbo as top, mid, or low tier turbos.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think someone who knows should label each turbo as top, mid, or low tier turbos.

Eh, but that puts unnecessary labels on turbos. You should know realistically where a turbo sits in the world if you've done research, and you buy with your budget and goals in mind.

Broadly, I'd say unknown, untested eBay specials are at the low end. Mid is basically everything up to and around $2k from an actual company. Top tier are hybrids using "full frame" cores, or modified ball bearing cores, and turbos from actual manufacturers. "Full Featured" and more expensive.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Again, I have owned a turbo from the company in question, so my issues alone allow me to comment on the company. I also had called MULTIPLE reputable VW/Audi shops that would not even install them because they had so many people come back on them when the turbos would start smoking, or had various other issues.

Posters here don’t have to believe me, but I feel my opinion may help someone.
Again, I completely wish you nothing but good luck with your turbo, it’s just not a purchase I personally would make again.

I appreciate all of your tests and work you do to help us all with various products.

Your opinion is helpful to hear.

The problem I have is when you say the business' products are being made with cheap parts, saying it is a fact, and not providing evidence, or that the components are largely from Chinese sources that are unproven. Either be clear that you are speculating or prove your claims. If you fail at either you diminish the credibility of what you have to say.

littco

Ready to race!
If you're turbo isn't VSR balanced then don't bother buying it!

These turbo's aren't like the older units where you can get away with an average rotor balance. The shafts are too thin and flex too much to be "OK" with a rotor balance!

And as for chinese VSR balancing just be aware of the fake balance sheets some companies supply.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
If you're turbo isn't VSR balanced then don't bother buying it!

These turbo's aren't like the older units where you can get away with an average rotor balance. The shafts are too thin and flex too much to be "OK" with a rotor balance!

And as for chinese VSR balancing just be aware of the fake balance sheets some companies supply.

I’m glad you posted on this. I’m curious, as a developer, where do you rank your turbos? I don’t know much about littco, other than I’ve seen plenty of posts and done a little looking on them. As far as say, the IS38 shafts breaking... is this still an issue for ihi? Do you mind explaining why your turbo would be a better choice than the IS38 typical upgrade (on the reliability end).

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
For anyone who isn't following the Golf R EQT thread on my Vortex XL build:

Final 91 pump (32psi) and E85 (34psi) tunes. It actually made 570wtq but started slipping so had to back it down a bit:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
480 on pump. Noice!!

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Your opinion is helpful to hear.

The problem I have is when you say the business' products are being made with cheap parts, saying it is a fact, and not providing evidence, or that the components are largely from Chinese sources that are unproven. Either be clear that you are speculating or prove your claims. If you fail at either you diminish the credibility of what you have to say.

i see this turbo has an rfh55 bearing setup, is it the oem rfh55 from an sti or and upgraded rfh55 bearing. I noticed that a cobb stg2 for those rfh55 sti runs about 17 psi. So if it is an oem rfh55 bearing then i wonder how well it would work with the higher boost levels we run on our cars

The Sham

Big and Sexy
I've read this thread in its entirety. There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion. And for a layman that ultimately wants no problems and to mash the gas, it's confusing.

Is there any consensus on the best turbo options?
HPA has a hybrid is38 turbo. Any good?

If you were going to do a hybrid is38 who would you go with?

Thanks guys.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
I've read this thread in its entirety. There seems to be a lot of difference of opinion. And for a layman that ultimately wants no problems and to mash the gas, it's confusing.

Is there any consensus on the best turbo options?
HPA has a hybrid is38 turbo. Any good?

If you were going to do a hybrid is38 who would you go with?

Thanks guys.
How much do you wanna spend? It’s a balancing act between $ you spend and quality you get.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
How much do you wanna spend? It’s a balancing act between $ you spend and quality you get.

It's also dependent on your end goals. Do you want to mess with fueling and custom tuning? Do you want to crush muscle cars on the highway? Do you care more about spool and driveability or top end power? A big turbo is waste of money if you don't have the budget or patience to do all the supporting work or you don't want the higher spool. There isn't really such a thing as the "best turbo", just the best turbo for your goals.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
The thing is Sham, there really isn't a consensus on the best turbo option, but rather many strong options. When there's a clear consensus from a large pool of options, the pool shrinks.

Let me give you an Analogy for it.

Both the people who sold them and the people who spent the money on them argued that the Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3DO, Sega 32x, Sega Saturn, Phillips CDi and Amiga CD32 were clearly a better option than the Sony Playstation.

The people who spent the money on multiple systems including the PS1 were generally found to be strong PS1 supporters. (while the three handed Mutants with problems seeing at a distance saw nothing wrong with the N64).

Everyone else then went out of the hardware business and Sony sold eleventy trillion PS2s

This is my college thesis. Please don't plagiarize it.

Last edited: