GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket Turbo Options

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I'm sure they have a great turbo, but they've priced themselves out of the market IMO.

Boss 500 is under $3k right now...why would you chose an old school journal bearing turbo for the same price as a dual ceramic BB?

This... zero chance im spending 3k for a turbo. Not when i have friends making 400hp etc on other cars spending 500-1k at a pop. Not saying the quality isn't there or anything but from a purely financial standpoint its ludicrous

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
search posts by 613b6.
he made 473whp on 94 pump gas with mpi and a 305 pump

94 up there is like race gas down here. Your 91 is better than our 93. Super jealous as we have to run ethanol down here to keep timing up and reduce knock and then it leaves us with less fueling headroom. I would love to just run pump...... I doubt anyone makes 473wheel on a Boss500 down here unless the whole fueling system is upgraded.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I agree 100%! $3k+ for just a Turbo is ridiculous! I get it's "made" for just for the motor but you can buy Precision Turbo and Garrett's that are huge and put out alot more power for other platforms a hell of alot cheaper! I don't wanna hear "ya gotta pay to play" either because nobody is spending twice the money for anything else in life, why should this be different. You spend $4k on a $2k TV? [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]
This... zero chance im spending 3k for a turbo. Not when i have friends making 400hp etc on other cars spending 500-1k at a pop. Not saying the quality isn't there or anything but from a purely financial standpoint its ludicrous

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I agree 100%! $3k+ for just a Turbo is ridiculous! I get it's "made" for just for the motor but you can buy Precision Turbo and Garrett's that are huge and put out alot more power for other platforms a hell of alot cheaper! I don't wanna hear "ya gotta pay to play" either because nobody is spending twice the money for anything else in life, why should this be different. You spend $4k on a $2k TV? [emoji39][emoji39][emoji39]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Alot of those turbos are made for custom fabrication or drop-in external manifolds. Our cars use an integrated manifold in the head so it requires very specific casting to get the turbo to fit properly with all of the stock hoses etc.
When you consider the cost of a genuine garrett CHRA is $1200-1400, an extra $1k for all of the install parts and R&D for the exhaust housing isn't that much. To be honest I think there is a little too much crying on this subject. This is what happens when you have a crazy efficient motor that will do 400whp and 30-35mpg still with decent spool.

oldguy1

Passed Driver's Ed
So if I want to go beyond APR stage 2, I need to be thinking bigger turbo and the Boss 500 has a proven track record for greater reliability than the other stuff out there?
I would like to stay on 91 octane and see 350+ whp.
Is that realistic?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
So if I want to go beyond APR stage 2, I need to be thinking bigger turbo and the Boss 500 has a proven track record for greater reliability than the other stuff out there?
I would like to stay on 91 octane and see 350+ whp.
Is that realistic?

Boss 500 is definitely overkill. If the power goal is that low, stay with a smaller turbo so you don't sacrifice as much spool.

Reliability-wise it should be a great choice, but a properly setup FBO/IS38 should make 350whp on 91 and have better spool for $2000 less. I made 367whp SAE on 93 octane with an OEM IS38 and FBO.

If you're dead set on reliability, you could run the Boss on baby boost, but that involves financial and spool sacrifices. Those turbos are really at home at high boost levels where the other sacrifices have their redeeming quality...big power.

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
94 up there is like race gas down here. Your 91 is better than our 93. Super jealous as we have to run ethanol down here to keep timing up and reduce knock and then it leaves us with less fueling headroom. I would love to just run pump...... I doubt anyone makes 473wheel on a Boss500 down here unless the whole fueling system is upgraded.

and we are all jealous that you HAVE ethanol to run!

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Boss 500 is definitely overkill. If the power goal is that low, stay with a smaller turbo so you don't sacrifice as much spool.

Reliability-wise it should be a great choice, but a properly setup FBO/IS38 should make 350whp on 91 and have better spool for $2000 less. I made 367whp SAE on 93 octane with an OEM IS38 and FBO.

If you're dead set on reliability, you could run the Boss on baby boost, but that involves financial and spool sacrifices. Those turbos are really at home at high boost levels where the other sacrifices have their redeeming quality...big power.

what makes you say this? the boss500 (gtx2867 gen2) has a turbine wheel that is almost equal in diameters to an is38. what is the turbine housing ar on an is38?

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
So a boss 500, clutch, tuning is like $5000. Lol. A 400-420 whp pump car @ 2950 is appealing with 35 mpg’s hwy. :).

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
and we are all jealous that you HAVE ethanol to run!
I honestly can't believe the difference fueling makes. And running it consistently. I am driving for the holiday weekend and am planning my stop/refill points around 93 & then E85 once I get to my destination.

Our 91 is crap too. Our 93 on the other hand is solid. Combine that with some e85 and I can consistently run a way more aggressive MAP.

Dan@DBV2

It is his opinion that the method in which they (EQT/Tomioka) used to get the TD06 turbine to work into the IS38 housing is concerning and his turbo makes no such modification. I guess we shall see if it is a long term issue.

There are only 2 methods of which the TD06 turbine wheel will fit into the stock IHI bearing housing, those two methods are what I listed. In regards to my source of the two brands in question, you can visually look at the two units and know they're both the same castings, same turbine wheel, same accessories, only a compressor wheel differs. These are both coming from an overseas factory - "Zage Turbo". You will find the exact same units with the replica GFB diverter valves, same wheels, and housings on the Zage website.

I'm sure they have a great turbo, but they've priced themselves out of the market IMO.

Boss 500 is under $3k right now...why would you chose an old school journal bearing turbo for the same price as a dual ceramic BB?

Our price point includes more than just a turbo. We include a full install kit, all lines, hoses, couplers, industrial grade clamps, big bore turbo muffler delete - everything needed for install. Other offers require you to retain your wastegate and/or your diverter valve - which we include less the diverter valve.

Currently we are offering a V2 Review Program which requires end user to provide reviews/results in exchange for ceramic coating, inlets/outlets housing porting, and free shipping within North America.

Across 30+ units globally at the moment, we've not seen a single failure of either V1 or V2 units. Just like everyone here, our users daily drive their vehicles, they may also track them, or do spirited driving. We have units running 30k miles and climbing with zero issues. We offer a 1 year warranty, the only time that warranty has been claimed was due to shipping damages. I've paid for those claims to be 1 day shipped to me and back to the customer with damages repaired. You deal with the builder direct, you don't wait for fancy RMA processes.

It would be hard to compete with a company reselling another company's mass produced product. All our units are made to order and done so by us. We only outsource the ceramic coatings to a very reputable powder coating company locally to us. So when you receive your unit, you're receiving a unit that was physically worked on by us. There is no worry about issues with housing castings as we use only OEM housings. We purchase new and/or used housings for our builds. This allows you the end user to confidently install your unit with no worry of "casting/machining errors" when using a housing that is not OEM. There are documented issues with other offers where the diverter port would not seal, this is a non concern when using OE components. Again, this is referencing the other budget replica IS38 offerings - There are other great big turbo solutions that are fantastic for what they are.

On top of that, when booking your build with us, we offer heavy discounts on the tuning hardware and fueling hardware. We are Eurodyne dealers, and Precision Raceworks dealers. Should you need a tuner, we work with one of the most affordable and popular tuner on this platform - Moose. So there is added value, and after sale support. Many of our users can attest to the heavily discounted supporting hardware. We also did a great deal of research on figuring out 4 bar map sensor support and did a group buy for the parts needed for that. We also did a lot of testing with the TurboSmart electronic DV/BOV that blew up in popularity as of recent, when we fitted one to Zac Ross' time attack GTI which sports our V2. Some may see the value in this, some may not.

At the end of the day, consumers should purchase what suits their needs. If no value is seen in our offering at the price point we offer, then we may not be the Stage 3 solution for you. Results and long term reliability are the main focus for us, this is undisputed and proven at this point. What our product is, is innovation. We brought to market a unit that is not only unique and strong, but something that cannot be replicated. We have more innovated offerings coming out soon in the form of a "V3" unit.

I don't typically post here or read these forums often as I'm quite busy on the the overall operations of the company, so I'll sign off with a recent time slip that was done last night on a V2 8V S3. Full weight, 95 octane, 19" wheels on all season tires in about 3000 DA I believe. Another 10 second street car on the way with some actual track prep!

Zx2man

Ready to race!
I really dont want to join the rant. But I wish myself the dbv turbo was closer to 2000.00 usd. Probably own one if so. Its obviously well made from everything i saw. As for coming with coolant oil feed lines n clamps lol... most other platforms ive been on a legit kit comes with that. But its nice to supply the community with tuning support and the R&D, give credit where credit is do.
If you own this turbo and or help tune it, of course your probably lil biased. Im not here to say anything negative, Im along for the ride on here like most, live and learn, make decisions base upon my needs and budget. My personal opinion is it should be closer to 2000.00.
As for our gas, yeah id love to have Canadian 94. I got 92 pump. I have 1 e85 station in a 200 mile radius. Its not exactly a bowl of cherries where I live regarding good gas.
Oh well.
I imagine as time goes on well start seeing more turbo options out there.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
This getting good. Fan boyz shitzing their pantz. Luv it. Be patient...all will be revealed with time. ;).