GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So happy the fuel problem is fixed.

When you said the one time it felt like the power cut out is when it hit the rev limiter. Mine has inexplicably done the same thing occasionally running the EQT DSG tune. It only does it once in a while so I haven't said anything to EQT about it.

Are you happy with the power so far?

Happy the fuel problem is solved as well. My original internals were sent back to Autotech today.

Sounds like it's just a fluke then. Good to know.

Yes. At this point, I'm happy with the power on the EQT one. It's finally putting out more power than the Sneeky one, but I'm sure now that the fuel issue is fixed, Sneeky will turn his up a little bit too. I'd be happy with the EQT one landing here as long as I can get knock under control. Not sure if Nick will need to clean up non-power related things on this revision.

Really hoping that one gas station that has\had E85 still has it...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Happy the fuel problem is solved as well. My original internals were sent back to Autotech today.

Sounds like it's just a fluke then. Good to know.

Yes. At this point, I'm happy with the power on the EQT one. It's finally putting out more power than the Sneeky one, but I'm sure now that the fuel issue is fixed, Sneeky will turn his up a little bit too. I'd be happy with the EQT one landing here as long as I can get knock under control. Not sure if Nick will need to clean up non-power related things on this revision.

Really hoping that one gas station that has\had E85 still has it...
I know a lot of people don't like using an octane booster but I've used Torco daily for 50,000 miles with no problems at all. I just add 1 ounce per gallon to go from 91 octane to 93-94 octane.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I know a lot of people don't like using an octane booster but I've used Torco daily for 50,000 miles with no problems at all. I just add 1 ounce per gallon to go from 91 octane to 93-94 octane.

If I can't get my hands on E85, I may try that out once. I just am curious to see if the knock is fuel related and can be fixed with better fuel, or if it's something else.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'll explain that a little better. I buy a 6 pack of 32 ounce cans of Torco from Amazon. The estimated fuel usage the car reports is 2.3 MPG higher than calculating the actual MPG. So I know within 3 to 4 tenths of a gallon how much gas it will take to refill. I have a measuring cup and a funnel at home, add the Torco and go fill up. That way I don't carry the Torco with me and have very accurate info on how much Torco to add. See how the ethanol works and if it's a hassle to go get it keep Torco in mind. It's gone up in price like everything else but it's a great alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Torco-Octane...&sprefix=torco+octane+booster+,aps,207&sr=8-3

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Y'all have more patience than I. I would rather full and go, the power I get from Shell 93 I will take. I still get 0 KR on the tune. What gas station are.you getting your fuel from?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Y'all have more patience than I. I would rather full and go, the power I get from Shell 93 I will take. I still get 0 KR on the tune. What gas station are.you getting your fuel from?

Shell 93 lol

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Is the additional work really worth a little bit more power?

To me, sure. I spent an extra $1k upgrading my sensors and LPFP, I'd like to at least run a tune that takes advantage of those and justifies the money spent.

And I don't really see it as too much extra work. Spent $150 on a 14 gal container with a pump and handle, which would hold enough E85 to last me 10 - 12 weeks at just putting a gallon or so in every fill up. Easier than dicking around with a 5gal gas can, fumbling with that and dealing with spillage and stuff. When it's time to fill up, just spend 3 minutes to wheel it out and throw a gallon in my tank once a week.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
To me, sure. I spent an extra $1k upgrading my sensors and LPFP, I'd like to at least run a tune that takes advantage of those and justifies the money spent.

And I don't really see it as too much extra work. Spent $150 on a 14 gal container with a pump and handle, which would hold enough E85 to last me 10 - 12 weeks at just putting a gallon or so in every fill up. Easier than dicking around with a 5gal gas can, fumbling with that and dealing with spillage and stuff. When it's time to fill up, just spend 3 minutes to wheel it out and throw a gallon in my tank once a week.
I'm looking at getting one like the one you just got because as you mentioned, dealing with those 5 gallon gas cans are a pain in the ass. Does the one that you purchased have a reader on it?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm looking at getting one like the one you just got because as you mentioned, dealing with those 5 gallon gas cans are a pain in the ass. Does the one that you purchased have a reader on it?

Haven't purchased it yet. Still exploring options. I'll grab it as long as I can actually get E85 lol. And it does not have a reader on it, I'd probably look into fitting something like this on it so I can gauge how much is being pumped.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9P3TF9/

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Tell sneeky you want to run 31/32 psi "if possible" they he will probably tune it up sooner than later.

he doesn't lurk the forums to see that its fine at that PSI *without all the timing.

historically with logs I've seen and mine sneeky is usually conservative with timing.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
You logs definitely look like what I have been struggling with. I am dialing in my tune for 91, but it is absolutely shit and hardly any gas stations near me have e10 91oct. I am gonna blend 10-20% ethanol as a back up. But I filled with 93 e10 today and it was super clean. Similar boost pressures (30-32psi), but only around 5deg peak timing. I think I am just gonna be happy with a clean, 30psi tune. No reason to push it.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can't wait to hear your final thought after getting it dialed in and tunes COMPLETE! haha

Question for the knowledgable regulars in this build thread...
So he got a PR450 LPFP, i see brushless comes with its own 'fuel controller', as well as they recommended Acadia to get a PM4 for his pump as well, is this something that is required pretty much for a LPFP upgrade? Or is it only when the pump is bushed harder to higher heat situations?
Was just curious because i would like to do a E85 tune for my IS38 when i get everything together next month, but not interested to dump that much coin into a fuel pump for the minimal differences over HPFP on just an IS38.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can't wait to hear your final thought after getting it dialed in and tunes COMPLETE! haha

Question for the knowledgable regulars in this build thread...
So he got a PR450 LPFP, i see brushless comes with its own 'fuel controller', as well as they recommended Acadia to get a PM4 for his pump as well, is this something that is required pretty much for a LPFP upgrade? Or is it only when the pump is bushed harder to higher heat situations?
Was just curious because i would like to do a E85 tune for my IS38 when i get everything together next month, but not interested to dump that much coin into a fuel pump for the minimal differences over HPFP on just an IS38.
You'll get an extra 30 HP approximately from the E85 so you need to decide if that's worth the cost. With the IS38 you'll top out at about 365 HP. So close to 400 with E85. I would just get a hybrid turbo like the Vortex or TPC20 and get 420 + HP with just 91 octane and a HPFP.

Mreed055

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have considered it but the extra cost (+800$), and what sways me away is Acadia's situation where he ended up needing to get LPFP as well (wonder if it was 'needed' considering he found out the HPFP was going bad).
I impulse ordered a IS38 from FCP because i determined that was my best option. Wont have time to install it for a bit anyways, and they have 90 day returns so im still open to changing ideas.
Also, thank you for the help / knowledge.