GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Acadia Celebrates 1 Year With MQB #3, Wonders If It's Time To Upgrade...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Eh, I'm aware of how forums work and could find it if I really cared.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Figured you'd probably just delete my posts if I tried.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Man... I really shouldn't have bought brakes. I should be holding off on buying car parts, and was doing so well. It was like kicking a bad habit. Now that urge is back and I'm looking at intercoolers again...
Ordered a twin cooler 2 weeks ago even though I don’t need it . Will post pics when I get it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Rear rotors delivered. Wife is bringing my daughter to see the new Minions movie this evening, meaning house will be empty. Might take that opportunity to throw them on.

In other news, the Dride 4K dashcam I backed on Indiegogo was pushed back for a 4th time. Was supposed to ship in December of last year. Got pushed back to March. Then pushed back to May. Then pushed back to July. Now was pushed back another 3 months until October. So, pulled out and got a refund. It does look to have all the features I want in a dashcam (4K front & 1080p rear recording, built in LTE for live viewing & notifications, and small & compact), so if it actually looks by mid-September it'll still ship in October, I might hop back on.

In the mean time, since I do need a new dash cam, I ordered the Viofo T130 3ch dashcam.

1657047287890.png

Doesn't quite have every feature I was looking for, but Viofo's are usually very well reviewed and liked, so figured I'd give it a whirl. It's not quite 4K, but better than 1080p. And the only options I could find that do live viewing and notifications are the Blackvue DR900X-2CH, which is over $600 for the setup (no thanks), and the Thinkware U1000 4K. But as far as I can tell from the Thinkware, it doesn't have built in LTE, you have to have it permanently connected to a LTE hotspot for live viewing and notifications to work. Which, it won't be when I'm away from the care. Plus, it's bulky as fuck and ugly.

That should be in before the weekend. If anybody wants a good deal on a front-only Blackvue DR590W with the PMP, let me know....

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Rear rotors delivered. Wife is bringing my daughter to see the new Minions movie this evening, meaning house will be empty. Might take that opportunity to throw them on.

In other news, the Dride 4K dashcam I backed on Indiegogo was pushed back for a 4th time. Was supposed to ship in December of last year. Got pushed back to March. Then pushed back to May. Then pushed back to July. Now was pushed back another 3 months until October. So, pulled out and got a refund. It does look to have all the features I want in a dashcam (4K front & 1080p rear recording, built in LTE for live viewing & notifications, and small & compact), so if it actually looks by mid-September it'll still ship in October, I might hop back on.

In the mean time, since I do need a new dash cam, I ordered the Viofo T130 3ch dashcam.

View attachment 254499

Doesn't quite have every feature I was looking for, but Viofo's are usually very well reviewed and liked, so figured I'd give it a whirl. It's not quite 4K, but better than 1080p. And the only options I could find that do live viewing and notifications are the Blackvue DR900X-2CH, which is over $600 for the setup (no thanks), and the Thinkware U1000 4K. But as far as I can tell from the Thinkware, it doesn't have built in LTE, you have to have it permanently connected to a LTE hotspot for live viewing and notifications to work. Which, it won't be when I'm away from the care. Plus, it's bulky as fuck and ugly.

That should be in before the weekend. If anybody wants a good deal on a front-only Blackvue DR590W with the PMP, let me know....
How much of a bitch is it to do a brake job on this car?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
How much of a bitch is it to do a brake job on this car?

Fronts are super easy. I did it yesterday in under 90 minutes. Takes minimal tools. 17mm wrench, 13mm socket, 21mm socket. T30 torx. Something to compress the piston. That's really it.

Rears aren't that much harder, but are a bit more challenging. An extra step or two if you have an electronic parking brake. But it's still no more than an hour - 90 minute job. The carrier bolts are triple squares, instead of a 21mm socket. And they're torqued to a million unga-dungas, with very little room to get leverage to get them off. Retracting the piston requires an actual tool, since it needs to be twisted and pressed at the same time, unlike the front, which is just a press (no twisting required). It requires a little more pressure, so having a second set of hands, on person to hold the caliper and the other to work the tool ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) helps, but I'm too impatient to wait.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i concur that the rears are a little more work on the electronic parking brake ones. the working space sucks, but it still was doable, even by me and my standards!